Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advice on Sony Vega ... repair/replace

• 04-03-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

hope this is the right forum ... mods please move if I've made a boo boo

I have a Sony Vega, 32" widescreen CRT ... must be 7 years old at least. I don't have a specific model number, sorry. Damn thing is so heavy you need two strong men to move it, and I can't budge it on my own. I think it was one of the first 100 Hz capable tellys.

After 7 years of faithful service, the telly is starting to power off after 45 minutes of use ... if you switch it back on, it then powers off again after maybe 5 - 10 minutes, and so on until you power it off altogether.

I've unplugged the DVD, video, and games consoles etc, and taken all remotes out of the room ... just in case some device is sending a 'power off' signal to the telly ... telly stick behaves the same (45 mins, then 10, then 5, 5, 5...). The LED that indicates remote activity flashes in a sequence ... 5 flashes, pause, 5 flashes, pause etc. I wonder if this is some kind of diagnostic message ?

Can anyone advise of a reputable TV repair service, that will come to your house and assess if a repair is feasible ? (I'm based in Raheny)

Am I mad to even consider repairing a telly of this vintage ? Should I just wash my hands of it and shell out on a new LDC or Plasma big-screen ?:confused:

edit : looks exactly like this one http://www.casstv.com/images/sony_trinitron.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hi. That's a 32CS70, or at least one of the CS series TV's. Are you really sure it's 7 years old? I'm near sure that it would be about 4 or 5 years.

Anyway, the 5 flashes are indeed a diagnostic indication.

I'm not sure if the problem is worth repairing, though the fact that it's fit to run for a period before presumably going into protection mode, I'd say it most likely is worth fixing. No harm in getting somebody to look at it anyway, and giving an estimation on repair cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

byte wrote:
    Are you really sure it's 7 years old? I'm near sure that it would be about 4 or 5 years.

checked with pesky wife ... will be 6 years on March 22nd (she knows these things).
    byte wrote:
    Anyway, the 5 flashes are indeed a diagnostic indication.

Yup ... did a little digging around, found the following link.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/7763/Sony_Sony.html

apparently, the sequence of blinks I see indicates a problem with the AKB circuit (auto kine bias ... i don't know what this is) and this appears to be a reasonably common fault with certain Sony models (link - > http://www.pechorin.com/m/2003/08/29/I_have_a_5_year_old_Sony_Trintron_that_suddenly_died_I_susp-203548-10.html)_

I don't fancy trying to lift this beast, or transport it to a repair shop, and i have yet to find a repair service that will look at it in my house ...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say very few will attempt to poke at a TV in the house. Having it in the workshop with ideal lighting and tools would be preferable to technicians.

Maybe a local electrical shop will be able to have someone collect it and take it in to their workshop?

Advertisement