Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people support Celtic and not Hibernian?

• 04-03-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hibernian F.C. seems to have more catholic Irish roots then celtic.
    Why do I see people in Ireland wearing Celtic jerseys, not Hibernian jerseys? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Hibs basically disowned their Irish heritage for a number of decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

probably becuase they realised they were a scottish club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

tut... celtic fans are not all skangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

tut... celtic fans are not all skangers.
    this one is.

srfron250207.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That picture is up there with the anti-globalisation rioters smashing up McDonalds while wearing Nike runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I thought 'skangers' was a bit harsh, It's not like all celtic supporters are RA heads, you'd be suprised of the amount who support them just because their friends do. Ive noticed there supporters here becoming less common though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

probably becuase they realised they were a scottish club
    Umm, Celtic, Hibernian and their ilk have always been Scottish teams, what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because like the vast majority of Irish sports fans, they're gloryhunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not all irish Celtic fans are skangers, but all skangers will support Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

astrofool wrote:

True, but why celtic and not hibs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Umm, Celtic, Hibernian and their ilk have always been Scottish teams, what are you on about?

it was a joke dude.

it is based on the various arguments that have been on boards.ie around irish people supporting celtic.

thats what im on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Edited

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well, in my case, I live in Glasgow not Edinburgh. Have you asked yourself why people support Man United over Liverpool or Chelsea over Arsenal???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, in my case, I live in Glasgow not Edinburgh. Have you asked yourself why people support Man United over Liverpool or Chelsea over Arsenal???

Theres a big difference. Theres a good spread in Ireland across the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd. A lot of that will be based on choosing clubs at various high points in the last 20 years. After that theres decent support for th elikes of Spurs and then. The rest of the league/leagues will have a spread of different amounts. Chelsea are getting a lot of new supporters in the last while.

The vast majority of Irish people that support a Scottish team , support Celtic, a lot for no other reason than their (false) "Irishness". The fact of the matter is that most people in the 20 - 30 age group would have chosen a team while Rangers were having a dominent spell around the late 80's/early 90's, yet for some reason, very few chose Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats cos Gers are fvcxking HUNS! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: etc :p

Mike.

Stekelly wrote:
    Theres a big difference. Theres a good spread in Ireland across the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd. A lot of that will be based on choosing clubs at various high points in the last 20 years. After that theres decent support for th elikes of Spurs and then. The rest of the league/leagues will have a spread of different amounts. Chelsea are getting a lot of new supporters in the last while.

The vast majority of Irish people that support a Scottish team , support Celtic, a lot for no other reason than their (false) "Irishness". The fact of the matter is that while most people in the 20 - 30 age group would have chosen a team while Rangers were having a dominent spell around the late 80's/early 90's, yet for some reason, very few chose Rangers.

Maybe they choose Celtic as their British team.

Choose a team that you would be lucky to get out alive for someone who is 'Irish' in the 80's/90's? Nah, didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

who let soccer in croker?
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

redzerdrog wrote:
    who let soccer in croker?
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe you should pay attention, you are in the wrong thread

Choose a team that you would be lucky to get out alive for someone who is 'Irish' in the 80's/90's? Nah, didn't think so.

The plain and simple fact (and you know it) is that a huge amount of people here support celtic because of their supposed cathaloc and irish connections, nothing more.

As for the getting out alive comment, how many 6- 12 year old factor in attitudes they might encounter when travelling to a foreign ground when choosing a team. Plus the % of people here that actually travel over to games would be fairly small, even moreso up until very recently with all the cheap flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

so 6-12 year olds factor in the clubs registered religion but not travel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I've long since wondered this and I think its due to the amount of stick you can get. Basically you support Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool you get constant stick from your rivals in school, work, the gym etc... light hearted at the best of times but still its a bit of a go.

I think a lot of people who want to follow a team but dont want to take the flak i.e. the fair weather supporters will choose Celtic. On the basis that Celtic are in a strange position in Ireland as possibly the only team you can support and not get any stick, this coupled with the fact that you are going to celebrate silverwear on a yearly basis makes them the ultimate plastic fan team.

Sitting in lands a few years back watching Ireland and Georgia there was this tool in front of us the ireland flag over his back (celtic crest in the middle) celtic jersey, green and white had and celtic scarf. This guy looked like he walked out of the hardcore section of Celtic Park. So what did he say just before the whistle? Right lads (in the thickest of cork accents) which one is Averladze? He then proceeded to boo him all through the game. For god sake I don't watch Scotish football (despite being half scotish) and I had to point him out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

I wanted to respond to this in as delicate a fashion as I know how so please dont crucify me on this one guys.

Youre asking a question that has been raging on in scotland for quite some time now in some form or another - and its a whole wiry web of counter arguments and silly responses based on nothing more than historic acts, and lack of education (outright ignorance in some cases) on both sides of the blue and green divide

But for what its worth, and im not sure anyone wants this here - but heres the persepctive of a 'hun' (damn i hate that term...remember...the 'tims' used to be called the huns years ago...), who was brought up in Glasgow and is now living his life in relative calm in Dublin.

Why does a person support celtic and not hibs? Well... many reasons, but first you need to look at the demographic mate.

1) Fans in and around the central belt in Scotland will normally have a team chosen for them by their families. To say this i mean very few people grow up in a family who isnt a football family (your dad and your uncles) and end up supporting another team. This would be reason 1.

2) If you happen to come from a non football family then its either down to who your mates support as you grow up, OR, and this is a biggie, which type of school you go to (which is directly related to the religion of your parents). Do you goto catholic school? Well....celtic... Or do you go to non-denominational (which really just means protestant since there are hardly any other types of religion in the central belt that would be relevant here). If so...its Rangers.

3) It could be that youve escaped both of these nets, and youve managed to choose a team for yourself...you could choose celtic or Rangers because theyre the biggest teams and naturally command a bigger support due to their continued success...or you choose a smaller team to be different and not follow the herd.

And Lastly

4) youre from around Glasgow and not Edinburgh. Edinburgh is far smaller than the area of greater glasgow, and contains far fewer football heads. As such...why should anyone choose to support a team from the OTHER city?

Now, if youre referring to the irish/catholic conotation - in terms of irish people choosing celtic over hibs - thats because the celtic connection is far far stronger partially because of ALL 4 points above. Through time, it gets to the stage where people arent even asking these questions anymore, because we are into 6th and 7th generation fans, many of whom have fallen into categories 1 and 2 (which accounts for a vast majority of central belt lower-working class families which form the majority of the support on both sides).

Anyway...this is my take on it as someone who has been asking this question for a while in some format or another.

aye well ...thats just idiocy mate. Its rife over-by too as you know...and completely pointless.

The Celtic-Irish-Catholicism thing is wearing thin now in Glasgow too though in my experience, as is the Rangers-British-Protestant thing. Slowly its being erradicated. The historic connections both teams had are now being upheld by mindless idiots in my opinion, who are very good at knowing all the juicy details handed down from their dads, alowing them to shout piss and vinegar for 90 minutes, but then retire for a pint with their mate who just came from watching the OTHER team play that day. Its hypocrisy, simple as that... fuelled by ignorance.

Dont get me wrong, some of them are thoroughly intelligent and nice people, with a small chip on their shoulder... but in my experience - few of them have ever tried to move forward.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

What?!?! Never... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I see that David Burnside, a rabidly bigoted anti Good Friday agreement unionist politician is trying to get a consortium together to buy Rangers. He is obviously loosing sleep over Celtics dominance of Scottish football. It’s great to see him so distressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Because Celtic are a bigger club I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

About as insane as following United or Liverpool I'd say dave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

For every Celtic supporter in Ireland there's probably 5 Man Utd and 5 Liverpool supporters. Look at RTE, they showed a Celtic group game against Benfica. Obviously they didn't get enough viewers as they're showing Man Utd's 2 games against Lille instead of Celtic or Arsenal.

Also, while the picture posted at the start is ironic, I can't believe the fuss made about it. Here he is again with another banner:
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/feb2007/p2240016.jpg

There's a few people there protesting about foreign sports being player at Croke Park. I'd say a few of them support premiership clubs too. They're hardly protesting about supporting foreign teams. Anyway, Celtic were playing that day. I wonder did he watch the match...:rolleyes:
    astrofool wrote:
    Exactly, and most of them probably grow out of it when they hit their 20's. Go to Fraziers for a game against Dunfermline or Inverness. Most of the supporters are either Scottish, Northern Irish, elderly men or decent people. The skangers probably don't even know Celtic are playing. Maybe it's different for the bigger games but I've never been to Fraziers for a big game.

People start supporting Celtic like anyone. Very few people really choose the team they support. You either follow your friends at the age of about 10 or it's in your family. Half the area I live in seem to support Aston Villa. :D You don't make a rational decision at the age of 20 that you'll support the team with Irish roots.

I think people on here would actually be suprised how rare I would meet a Celtic fan and could actually discuss Scottish football with him. There's very few Celtic fans in this country, believe it or not.

eirebhoy wrote:

People start supporting Celtic like anyone. Very few people really choose the team they support. You either follow your friends at the age of about 10 or it's in your family. Half the area I live in seem to support Aston Villa. :D You don't make a rational decision at the age of 20 that you'll support the team with Irish roots.

I think people on here would actually be suprised how rare I would meet a Celtic fan and could actually discuss Scottish football with him. There's very few Celtic fans in this country, believe it or not.

I think youre absolutely right. In my experience, ive very rarely come across a person in ireland who is an out-and-out celtic fan and someone who actually knows what theyre talking about. Ive gotten into an unusual amount of silly arguments here over the whole celtic-rangers thing normally because the guy at the other end doesnt know what hes on about and thinks its his duty to start with me.

Funny old place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Funny place indeed , My nickname in school was "The Prod" as i had the audacity not to support Celtic instead crazily choosing to support my local team

well... ive actually been banned from a few rangers forums because i happen to disagree with the pro-british songs, (what has damn busters, and rule britannia have to do with the gers?!?!?) the union jack waving, and all the usual GSTQ bull. A few particular people pointed out my name was O'Donnell (thanks for pointing it out... i didnt realise i was a closet catholic as a result of my fathers name) and that ireland was just the place for scum like me.

Lovely people mind you...IQ of a pit bull, but nice all the same....

[edit: sorry this is actually totally off topic....]

Probably relevant to post this here:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45817

The article is a few posts down.

It's Evan Fanning, not Dion Fanning as a lot of them seem to think. Are they related?

I'm just reading the above thread now. Couldn't agree more with this post:
    I think all the Irish on here (Republic at least) will know the sort of dic kheads Fanning's on about. These are the lads who wear Celtic tops/tracksuits/scarves not because they're Celtic fans but because they see it as a symbol of some nationalist, pro-IRA ideal. I know plenty of Dubliners like that, most are also Dublin GAA fans and give us a bad name there too, not that that's relevant. They're chavs, scumbags - cap peaks to the sky and bum fluff on upper lip. The majority have probably never been to Scotland - much less Celtic Park!! And they probably couldn't name any more than 6 of the current squad or more than 3 Lisbon Lions. They suppport Celtic on Old Firm days and occasional Cup finals, bored senseless by anything else. These are the lads who showed up on February 25th last year for the "Love Ulster" farce ("Love McDowell", more like). They're NOT CELTIC FANS!!! But they do give us a bad name. :mad: WE CAN'T HELP THAT.

On that day, I was working on Grafton Street watching from a window about three storeys up at some of it unfold along Nassau Street. One of my colleagues mentioned the phrase "Scumbag Celtic fans" as we watched. :tirade: Cue insidious rant from yours truly!!! But that's the point - the majority of people in Ireland don't have unquestioned love for Celtic as the myths often suggest. They're seems to be a common perception of Celtic as being the RA-heads' team and that will immediately put many off. That's Modern Ireland though - too PC to condone ANYTHING remotely Republican for fear that it be anti-Protestant. The Indo being the ultimate melting pot of all things "anti-Remotely Republican".

The rest of the article is pure pish. Egger, JJB, "Self-appointed World's best fans", etc., etc. It's all just filler because he knows he's talking balls. But don't let facts get in the way of a good reasoned argument Dion, eh?

Fanning's just a Modern Irelander cheaply attempting a populist swipe at Celtic on no basis whatsoever. Where did this article come out of FFS??

Fanning. :nono:

• Advertisement

His Daddy is Aengus Fanning , funnily enough his brothers Dion and Brendan all work there too!
    I hope the Celtic fan on that forum realises the irony of calling someone else a West Brit given his own support of a British club.

gustavo wrote:
    His Daddy is Aengus Fanning , funnily enough his brothers Dion and Brendan all work there too!
    I hope the Celtic fan on that forum realises the irony of calling someone else a West Brit given his own support of a British club.
    Only ironic to those that want it to be ironic. :) Actually, go onto the Celtic site. There's a Japanese flag there to translate the site to Japanese. Click it. There used to be a Union Jack beside the words "English language" which has since been removed. :D Obviously a terribly petty thing but you get the point.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Only ironic to those that want it to be ironic. :) Actually, go onto the Celtic site. There's a Japanese flag there to translate the site to Japanese. Click it. There used to be a Union Jack beside the words "English language" which has since been removed. :D Obviously a terribly petty thing but you get the point.

each retort gets more and more silly - and its grown adults at the helm too... no wonder it gets more and more absurd with each generation. I was watching the hibs - gers game yesterday and just to watch the crowd - wee boys about 10 years old down the front row giving dogs abuse to the gers lads (and thommo in particular obviously). Now... im from a fairly rough area in Scotland but I have to ask - WHY would a 10 year old be shouting dogs abuse at anyone - cos i dont remember having a bad word to say at that age, nevermind calling anyone a durty orange b*****d. You know?

Mind you....these wee boys are probably in their 30s but their growth has been stunted by 25 years of smoking and drinking buckfast.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Fair enough , I wonder what these same peoples answer would be to the oft asked trivia question "Who were the first British team to win the European Cup?"
    :)

gustavo wrote:
    Fair enough , I wonder what these same peoples answer would be to the oft asked trivia question "Who were the first British team to win the European Cup?"
    :)

Oh they know the answer to that one, let me tell you....they brag about it often enough ;) ....such is the ever dominant hypocrisy at the heart of this thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

iregk wrote:
    About as insane as following United or Liverpool I'd say dave...

sorry that this is OT but I can't resist. The thing I don't like about these new chelsea fans is that chelsea aren't enjoyable to watch, they are painful to watch at best. So the <U>only</U> reason for watching them is because they are probably going to win. Now fair enough many people began to follow united when they became successful but at least they were playing entertaining football (and still are) so it is enjoyable to watch them. I watch football to see good attacking football, united, arsenal and la liga.

BTW I am referring to irish followers who watch football on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

daveirl wrote:

Well, you can hear Man United fans (and fans of other English clubs) singing a song to the tune of the Billy Boys. How anyone Irish person can sing a song to the tune of one that has the line 'being up to our neck in fenian blood' in it is beyond me.

Do Irish fans of British clubs join in this song at the matches? Do they even have a clue what it's about?

As for the title thread, maybe Hibs would have more Irish consumers if they were more successful and had more players in our NT. Also the Saint Packie crap from 1990 (1 saved peno in 13 in 2 months) has a lot to answer for.

Or maybe it was the amazing Chris Morris that has so many Irish in love with the foreigners. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Zebra3 wrote:
    Well, you can hear Man United fans (and fans of other English clubs) singing a song to the tune of the Billy Boys. How anyone Irish person can sing a song to the tune of one that has the line 'being up to our neck in fenian blood' in it is beyond me.

Do Irish fans of British clubs join in this song at the matches? Do they even have a clue what it's about?

I don't:eek:

what is the song the Man U fans sing? They also chant Argentina as well by the way.

Mind you, I have heard fans of an English team singing fields of Athenry:rolleyes:

The teams who sing their songs to the tune of Billy Boys dont actually know what the song is about nor they care i suspect. You can hear german teams using the tune also but i very much doubt they are making any reference to the billy boys (google for original history of song, youll find its nowt to do with king billy if memory serves me rightly).

If they knew what the original was about i doubt theyd sing it - like you point out.

Funny thing though - youll rarely hear it sung at Ibrox these days... for fear of being A) ejected, B) Arrested C) Banned, and D) UEFA Club-Fined. They recently issued a "wee blue book" with songs in it, considered 'OK' by Rangers and UEFA after a whole sh*t storm after the Villarreal matches when a UEFA delegate witnessed the songs being sung. UEFA quickly realised however that the songs werent anything to do with Rangers and simply put, it was a problem for Scottish society which wouldnt be sorted through action against Rangers and slapped a fine on the club anyway! Now everytime a Rangers fan opens their mouth in Ibrox, they suffer the above consequences in the crackdown.

I do hear UEFA are looking at Celtic fans now too as a backlash.

One minor point though, its knees... not neck mate.

Why do I always see micro-analysis of Celtic supporting Irish people?

Celtic are a major British club with a rich tradition and history. They were the first British club to win the premier cup competition in Europe. They won it with all their players from within 30 miles of the club, something that has never been done before nor will be repeated.

This is not a thread on Why do Irish people follow a British club (most replying would be guilty of that!), this is a thread about why do people support Celtic and not Hibernian! The post from Rangers supporting odonnell in post 23 is spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mind you, I have heard fans of an English team singing fields of Athenry:rolleyes:

Isn't it Fields of Anfield road that they ring ?

sorry im actually guilty of getting carried away in the conversation and going wildly OT... :/

End of the day though - Hibs are a smaller team from a lesser populated area, and they dont have the gigantic background and following that Celtic do. It perpetuates through the generations and itll never be reversed. But there was a time when it wasnt so! A Long time ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ciaran76 wrote:
    Isn't it Fields of Anfield road that they ring ?

could be.

(sounds good though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, Liverpool fans sing "Fields of Anfield Road"..if thats what you're thinking of. Same tune as Athenry, but all different words going through the history of the club.

bohsman wrote:
    so 6-12 year olds factor in the clubs registered religion but not travel?

No but they factor in " aah man, ye have te folly celtic, der the best irish club"

daveirl wrote:

But people here dont factor in nationalistic (however misguided) or religious reasons when choosing an english club to support. Most people pick a team doing well at the time they got into football. the opposite is true of Irish people choosing a Scottish team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement