Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people support Celtic and not Hibernian?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don't:eek:

what is the song the Man U fans sing?

The song Man United fans sing goes something like 'hello, hello, we are the United boys, we've come to make some noise, if you are a City fan surrender or you die'.
    odonnell wrote:
    (google for original history of song, youll find its nowt to do with king billy if memory serves me rightly).

If they knew what the original was about i doubt theyd sing it - like you point out.

And King Billy was an ally of the pope..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Zebra3 wrote:
    The song Man United fans sing goes something like 'hello, hello, we are the United boys, we've come to make some noise, if you are a City fan surrender or you die'.

Hello, Hello, we are the portsmouth boys
    Hello Hello we are the Portsmouth boys
    and if you are a scummer then surrender or you die, we all follow the Portsmouth

Sung it myself many times, but I never knew it was the tune to anything other than a mindless terrace chant, I doubt many Man U fans knew either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There are 3 types of Celtic jersey wearer one is usually a lovely bloke who wears as a sort of Sinn Fein nationalist as seen here Who could not name any 11 put out by Celtic in any game this season. But they hate Rangers as they stand for everything british.

The other is a football fan who gets absolute dogs abuse on here (EB and ADIG :D ) for being a celtic fan, im sure they go to games and know the 11. BUT because the above/below is what we see thats what see as Celtic fans.

The 3rd is one the i hate the most, the one whos supports because they are irish they are also mainly Pool and Utd/arse fans but they support Celtic as an Irish team, they go once a year on a coach but they are football fans mainly of other teams. These are ones who got tickets to the pats game in the 90s. jesus i hate them :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i get the usual abuse for being a rangers fan, but i tend to ignore it.

although, now that mike has opened the floodgatyes with his sectarian joke on the first page, i cant wait to start throwing around my 'taig' jokes, as long as i put an old smilie beside it.

right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wonder do Linfield fans sing a different version of the Billy Boys tune that has been belted out a few times tonight? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

sorry that this is OT but I can't resist. The thing I don't like about these new chelsea fans is that chelsea aren't enjoyable to watch,

That doesn't matter a lick. Most people start to support a team due to success. Look at the history of fans and its true. Would Liverpool be as supported had they never won teh title? No. Would United have had the fan base if Fergie did loose that cup final and united were mid table team? No. Would Blackburn and Chelsea fans have come crawling out of the woodwork in 95 and 2005 respectively had they not won the title? No. The style of football is nothing to the majority, its the success. If Chelsea have 10 years of success they will have a huge global fan base. On the other hand if they get relegated next season watch the fans disappear.

Winning, breads sunshine fans, like it or not. Football clubs couldn't care about 500k real fans that buy a jersey a year and go to the odd game when they can. They care about the 2 million new fans who will buy a few jerseys and play catch up merchandise wise to show their new found loyaltie... (don't take those figures as fact, im pulling numbers out of my a$$ as an example)

Supporting football in general is hypocricy at the best of times. So many tinted views and biased opinions. As daveirl said how can irish fans support Chelsea when their fans solute the anthem. The same country boasts thousands of fans that labled Di Canio a legend in a hoops jersey. The same Di Canio who is an open racist and facist!!! Whats the difference. My wifes brother is a die hard Celtic fan and hates rangers because they are proddie b******s. When was the last time he went to a catholic mass? 15 years ago, the last time his parents made him. Is he catholic? No he isn't. Football is full of this, you live with it though, we have no choice there will always be fair weathers, idiots and widespread generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

KdjaCL wrote:
    There are 3 types of Celtic jersey wearer one is usually a lovely bloke who wears as a sort of Sinn Fein nationalist as seen here Who could not name any 11 put out by Celtic in any game this season. But they hate Rangers as they stand for everything british.

So eurm..... lovley bloke = teenage girls in overalls.

Down this part of the country middle-class teenage girls are not the ones wearing the Celtic jerseys. I guess it's different up in the big smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wonder do Linfield fans sing a different version of the Billy Boys tune that has been belted out a few times tonight? ;)

Yes, they have done on our three recent meetings with them in the Setanta Cup. Bizarre that fans are allowed chant about being up to their necks in fenian blood while giving nazi salutes and making monkey noises at a black player and the competition organisers do not deem it necessary to take action against their club.
    iregk wrote:
    The same Di Canio who is an open racist and facist!!! Whats the difference.

As Di Canio said "I'm a facist, not a racist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

KdjaCL wrote:

The other is a football fan who gets absolute dogs abuse on here (EB and ADIG :D ) for being a celtic fan, im sure they go to games and know the 11. BUT because the above/below is what we see thats what see as Celtic fans.

The 3rd is one the i hate the most, the one whos supports because they are irish they are also mainly Pool and Utd/arse fans but they support Celtic as an Irish team, they go once a year on a coach but they are football fans mainly of other teams. These are ones who got tickets to the pats game in the 90s. jesus i hate them :D

kdjac

Just want to make a comment on the above.

I go to Celtic games once or twice a year. The fact is that I have a small family and due to domestic/financial reasons, I cannot afford to go over several times a year. I would give give everything to be in Glasgow 10/12 times a years but circumstances do not allow this. I do not think this makes me any less of a Celtic fan than those who can afford to go over most weeks.

However (the wife isn't aware of this) when the kids grow up, I plan to be in Glasgow at least once a month.

• Advertisement

hawker wrote:
    However (the wife isn't aware of this) when the kids grow up, I plan to be in Glasgow at least once a month.

I bet she is and has already thought up 101 reasons why you can't :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Zebra3 wrote:

Thats the point bud - the song isnt to do with king billy, its to do with Billy Fullerton - as in the last line of the song - we are the brigton derry boys.

People assume its about the orange one himself :)

BUT - it doesnt make the song good, nor does it make it right to sing anything about 'fenian blood'. I dont condone it....just stating facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Anybody with any sense of Glasgow history will know it is Fullerton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Boys

Anybody with any sense of Glasgow history will know it is Fullerton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Boys

strewth :eek:

Advertisement