Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble with cables!!

Options
  • 04-03-2007 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I got myself a Netgear 54 MBPS wireless router and was told it was easy to set up. My first big problem is that my NTL modem connects to USB port in my pc. The netgear is ethernet to ethernet. Now the NTL modem has an ethernet socket but my PC has no ethernet.:confused: I tried several places in town to try to get an adapter but was told I need an interface card? Is there no simpler solution for connecting the modem and router and PC. Any advise gratefully received:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

PCI network card is by far the best way to go, about €15 on ebay, no messing with usb drivers etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll need to get a network card for your PC, in the end its the easiest way forward and its less hassle to get a normal network card (pci card) and install it into your pc then getting a usb2ethernet network card to connect to your pc

Router won't connect to your pc via USB, usb is not the way forward :)

You'll need to open your pc to install a PCI network card but in the end lits worth it and its easy do too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Installing a network card is as easy as putting a little bit of lego on top of another load of lego.

Just open the PC, slot it into a free PCI slot, close the PC and go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

steveland? wrote:
    Installing a network card is as easy as putting a little bit of lego on top of another load of lego.

Just open the PC, slot it into a free PCI slot, close the PC and go

You forgot about turning of the power :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You forgot about turning of the power :P
    Well you can leave it on if you want to make it exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A friend of mine got a USB-to-ethernet adapter that works pretty well with her Ripwave yoke.....i.e. it can talk to it. Can't make the same "it works" comment re the Ripwave thingy (unless dial-up speeds are "working"), but that's not the fault of the converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd only use a USB Ethernet adaptor on a Laptop etc than mysteriously doesn't have Ethernet or couldn't take PCcard/PCexpress card. Any desktop PC without Ethernet must be OLD or very cheap. For desktop PC, PCI (or if very old EISA or ISA) is best.

Ripwave does work. It is just false expectations. It is a kind of "always on" Wireless ISDN replacement, not Wireless Broadband as such. That's why IBB sells Breeze too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rossbeag

Listen thanks everyone. Got myself the PCI card and slotted it in like lego!! Always loved Lego so its up and working brilliant now thanks again. Writing this on my lovely new laptop that I couldn't use up til now but now the wirless is up and running smoothly. Much appreciated all the help:) :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rossbeag wrote:
    Listen thanks everyone. Got myself the PCI card and slotted it in like lego!! Always loved Lego so its up and working brilliant now thanks again. Writing this on my lovely new laptop that I couldn't use up til now but now the wirless is up and running smoothly. Much appreciated all the help:) :)

Glad you got it all sorted out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

watty wrote:
    Ripwave does work. It is just false expectations. It is a kind of "always on" Wireless ISDN replacement, not Wireless Broadband as such. That's why IBB sells Breeze too.
    its from a company called irish BROADAND and says broadband right there on the modem. it also advertises 512kbps but when i has it for 2 weeks i got about 30kbps

• Advertisement
Advertisement