Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Will We Get a Metallica Date?

• 04-03-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Havent heard anything so far, and the bands official site says theres still a few more to come, and with Megadeth and Drowning Pool and Velvet Revolver all announced here in some capcity (im not discussing them in just stating their names in the process of presenting a fact) it might be a little unwise to have a Metallica concert in June/July, although August would suit as an attractive proposition.

Personally, I would like to see a Guns N Roses/Metallica duel thing in Ireland this year, regardless of how unlikely that is to happen

I think we will get a Metallica concert here, announced in the next week with the influx of new dates, what do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They mention an escape from the studio type thing, like they did before. It would be better if they played here next year though so they could celebrate 20 years since the release of justice :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

probably not unfortunatly :( the dates announced so far seem to be on the continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Hal1 wrote:
    They mention an escape from the studio type thing, like they did before. It would be better if they played here next year though so they could celebrate 20 years since the release of justice :D.

A justice tribute gig would be great BUT what are the chances of them playing the whole album from start to finish? Its very technically challenging as well as challenging to listen to. Ok, they managed it with Master Of Puppets but in fairness almost half of that album was concert standard anyway. With the exception of Blackened and One the rest of that album is left largely untouched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Lars hasn't been able to play the AJFA stuff in almost 20 years, forget it, it's never going to happen.

They will come here though, should they plogh through Europe. Their gigs are very profitable, so both promoters will be itching to get them into the RDS for another round of punter fleecing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wouldnt be too surprised to see one here. I'm seeing them in Belgium so it doesnt bother me too much, but to hear all of ...AJFA would just be madness. Songs are just too long, and as said before, a challenge to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Justice is a far better album than anything that came after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

buck65 wrote:
    Justice is a far better album than anything that came after.

Thats true, it was their last masterpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Personally, I wouldn't class AJFA as a masterpiece. The sound/production on it is f**king AWFUL to put it mildly.

I think the last album that you could call a masterpiece was the Black Album. People slate them cos they went commercial on it, and tried different things, but I admire them for having the balls to try something different!! The Re-Load/St Anger albums and the S&M and Garage Inc albums were a complete waste of time, mind you.

Here's hoping their next album will be a return to form. I can't wait to hear what kind of influence Robert Trujillo brings to the band.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

May be seeing them at Rock werchter myself anyway.

Still would probably go and see 'em if they played this year. They're rumoured to be playing reading/leeds so an irish date seems likely.

As for ...AJFA, tbh it would just be boring live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, I for one would probably just get bored, it's not a favourite of mine, just doesn't have the groove, and Lars couldn't play it, so meh. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Alter-Ego wrote:
    May be seeing them at Rock werchter myself anyway.

Still would probably go and see 'em if they played this year. They're rumoured to be playing reading/leeds so an irish date seems likely.

As for ...AJFA, tbh it would just be boring live.
    True but i wouldnt mind seeing eye of the beholder done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And if they do anything next year, why not celebrate the 25th anniversary of Kill 'Em All? Would agree with Mental Mickey here, Black Album is a masterpiece, dont see what people have against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If they played Kill 'em All the whole way through and I knew about it before hand I'd go, I'd love to hear Hit the Lights played live or Metal Militia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

AJFA is a class album.One of my favorites,loved hearing Puppets played live whole way through last year.

Maybe they could do a set with a songs from Justice and Kill 'em All. That'd be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

hopefully they'll announce a date soon so i can get a fan club membership,really don't want to queue at 7 in the morning again for pit bands!at least I'm not in the middle of my leaving cert this time lol maths paper 2 was the day after and i was the only one i knew who went

hopefully they'll announce a date soon so i can get a fan club membership,really don't want to queue at 7 in the morning again for pit bands!at least I'm not in the middle of my leaving cert this time lol maths paper 2 was the day after and i was the only one i knew who went

I joined the fan club a few years back. I have to say, I wasn't impressed. All you got was a ****ty magazine 4 times a year and other assorted crap. The best thing about it was the free tee-shirts with each membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Only thing that would make me go see Metallica is an early-days style tour. Kill Em All is my favourite, and And Justice live wouldnt do anything for me.

superconor wrote:
    Only thing that would make me go see Metallica is an early-days style tour. Kill Em All is my favourite, and And Justice live wouldnt do anything for me.

They played the entire MOP album on the last tour. Did you miss that gig?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Personally, I wouldn't class AJFA as a masterpiece. The sound/production on it is f**king AWFUL to put it mildly.

absolutely! The bass is on holidays or somethin! If they still have the original tapes, they should redo it!

They got Mike Clink(the guy who worked with GnR on AFD/UYI)to produce the album, but for some reason, he completely disgregarded the rhythm section!? The bass is non-existent, and poor ol' Lars sounds like he's in his kitchen hittin' pots n pans!?

They brought Flemming Rassmussen(who produced MOP)in to try and rescue it, but the poor guy failed.

I'm looking forward to hearing Rob's influence on the band on the next album.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I think the real question here is: do we need another metallica date? Or even want?

And whoever said that the Black Album is better than AJFA needs a hearing test or a full psyche exam. I persoanlly think AJFA is the band's finest technical achievement, and they were headed in the right direction too, experimenting with odd time signatures and more brutal riffs. Way to muck it up, boys.

No offence, but if you think that AJFA is better than the Black album, it's you who needs a hearing aid/test, not us.

There are a couple of good songs on it, but most of 'em are too long and it makes for a tough listen in one go.

I think you need to listen to it again, cos on the cd I have, the rhythm section is non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Oh yeah, because it's good production that makes an album good, not the music :rolleyes:

The self titled album was nearly pop-rock. It's pretty much just a cowboy song away from being the abysmal Load/Reload soundscape. Wherever I May Roam is ok, but the rest of that album is pretty much muck, as far as I'm concerned. It's about as metal as a plastic fork: it has the shape, but not the strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No offence, but if you think that AJFA is better than the Black album, it's you who needs a hearing aid/test, not us.

Ah ha ha, ha ha ha! :D

Oh yeah, because it's good production that makes an album good, not the music :rolleyes:

The self titled album was nearly pop-rock. It's pretty much just a cowboy song away from being the abysmal Load/Reload soundscape. Wherever I May Roam is ok, but the rest of that album is pretty much muck, as far as I'm concerned. It's about as metal as a plastic fork: it has the shape, but not the strength.

I thought that some of the songs on the black album were better than on AJFA.....!?

Some of those songs were waaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I find myself swicthing off halfway through 'em.

I like Harvester Of Sorrow,One(obviously) and To Live Is To Die, but can't listen to the rest of it without nodding off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The black album is way too over produced, kinda takes away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Hal1 wrote:

How about they call it an 'abondon the studio tour' cause they seem to be doing more touring than ever!!
    Also they should scrap the new album and re record justice with some bass and better drums.

Kazooie wrote:
    ... and re record justice with some bass and better drums.

maybe we should start one of those online petitions to try get them to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Or we kidnap Hammet (lets face it he's the most girl like and would provide the least resistance), then we start sending his fingers to the band one by one...

I've gone to far, better your way.

• Advertisement

Kazooie wrote:
    Or we kidnap Hammet (lets face it he's the most girl like and would provide the least resistance), then we start sending his fingers to the band one by one...

I've gone to far, better your way.

And then they would have to hire that guy from REM or somethin as the new lead guitarist??

[/shivers]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement