Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orals

Options
  • 04-03-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Got the guts of only 6 weeks before they start (13 to the actual leaving), so anyone else feel wholly unprepared for them? I hoping to get it all together in the next 6 weeks for them, pull the finger out so to speak and start working

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Can't wait for French... don't care about Irish, should breeze it tho as it's O/L, but moreso I can't wait to have them both finished... Man what a load off that will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm ready enough for them. Room for a lot of improvement still though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm not panicing. I've had practice orals with my French and Irish teachers (both HL) and they've went fine. Only thing that could easily destroy me on the day is nerves but there's not much I can do about that. Also, there's a strong possibility that my music practical will be on the same day as one of the orals. I'm hoping that situation can be avoided...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Havent been knuckling down on the orals just yet! had a few Practice runs with french! our irish teacher is waiting till closer till the dates to do a practice 1 one 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Orals aren't ordinary or higher level. The examiner doesn't know your level, they just mark you and the weighting is based on your level.

Best advice I can give for orals is what I did in mine - crack a joke. Try to make him laugh, it shows that you have confidence with the language. Even if you don't.

• Advertisement

Best advice I can give for orals is what I did in mine - crack a joke.
    Preferably if the examiner is an old woman. Say something sexist and insanely offensive, she'll love you then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Best advice I can give for orals is what I did in mine - crack a joke. Try to make him laugh, it shows that you have confidence with the language. Even if you don't.[/QUOTE]

On that note anyone around who has done the oral last year ie. repeating that got a high mark in it. Any tips or stand out qualities in your oral?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Eh yeah I'm just biding my time til my oral, have my mock French one tomorrow.

Just a question about the document: are there any restrictions to it, ie is it acceptable to bring in a number of photos glued to one sheet as opposed to only one photo?

Any help is appreciated. A link to an official website with any regulations would be most excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Im doing a bit of french and irish each day, it also helps that my dad teaches those subjects so i've a constant grind at home!:) I'm doing the Irish Rugby team in croke park for my document, I wanted to do gaelic but its overdone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Up until I did my French written mock last Wednesday I couldn't have been less bothered with French personally. However I felt I did quite well in the written exam and am thinking that I might be able to pull off a good grade in French if I make a small bit of effort. However, I have a crap teacher that is simply a joke. It makes classes fun for me cos I don't care about French, but I'm thinking now, I could do well if I tried....

Got 60% in my last oral exam(was at Xmas and despite us not knowing at the time it's getting counted as our mock). I could get better by volunteering to speak and asking questions in class.....

....nah, not bothered.

I'm in an All Irish school so Irish oral is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Getting nervous about them, I'm not a confident speaker of foreign languages. Doubt French will be as bad as Irish, seems less detailed or so. Mock French on Thursday, couldn't be less prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Just keep your cool, try not to get too nervous, try building up conversational skills as opposed to learning off big blocks of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

French will be fine because I lived there for 3 years and I'm practically fluent...so that helps. Although I do feck all in class.

We have done nothing useful to us in Irish class. The teacher just puts us into pairs and makes us speak to each other in Irish at the end of each class. Of course most of speak in english about what we are doing next Saturday night :rolleyes: That teacher is such a bloody eejit.
    I am doing pass though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

"The teacher tries to make us practice irish for our oral, but we don't. God isn't he thick."

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah yes the irony of it all. I'm not exactly sure thats what she meant raphael but all the same I had a chuckle at it. :p

The teacher is an eejit for trying to do his/her job? Perhaps it would be in your best interests to actually practise speaking gaeilge to each other. But i'm not going to get into the "your only fooling yourself" argument. :rolleyes:

Anyway on the note of cracking a joke to an examiner..... anyone got any jokes as gaeilge or en francais?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Any idea how many sentences you should be giving for each illustration in the picture sequences for German?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Irish is fine. June need to expand on what I'd say, and revise the modh coinniolach for those horrible 'If you were blah, what would you change?' questions.

French-panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

ethernet wrote:
    Any idea how many sentences you should be giving for each illustration in the picture sequences for German?

Just talk, don't sit there counting your sentences or you'll make mistakes, sound like a robot and the examiner will mark you harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 weluvujoe

my irish class has not even started oral work yet, all we have done is ths sliochts, and quiet badly at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

ethernet wrote:

1-3! no more required!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

In my oral Irish exam, the examiner welcomed me into the room by saying "Fáilte romhat", to which I replied "Fáilte romhat"......

Still got a B2

Think she may have fancied me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

I'm fine with french orals, but Irish is a different story for me, by the way how many people do the document thing with french?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Just about anybody with sense. Blab on about it and the examiner won't have time to ask you questions about the upcoming french elections...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

In my oral Irish exam, the examiner welcomed me into the room by saying "Fáilte romhat", to which I replied "Fáilte romhat"......

Still got a B2

Think she may have fancied me :cool:

Legend. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

NADA wrote:
    1-3! no more required!
    That's what I heard but wasn't sure. We were told that people were giving far too much on each picture and that less is now expected. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

Just finished a french mock one and i think it went okay but i'm so screwed for irish tomorrow!

I had the examiner laughing a good bit so hopefully thats a good sign?

Did get a nasty question about racisim among the youth of today in ireland though!

Hope tomorrow goes okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FergusConcannon

oh irish orals will be a massacre(i.e. just like the mocks were :( ). French mocks were a doddle. Looking foward to real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Irish is fine, little worried about French!

I'm fairly okay for both Irish and French so long as nerves don't kill me or the examiner doesn't ask some horrible questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Anyone got any good advice for a french document? I was thinking about a picture of a nuclear power plant, that way you can talk about the advantages, disadvantages and then go on about conventional pollution, blah, blah, blah.

Advertisement