Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreamcast modding

Options
  • 04-03-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

decided to buy a dreamcast today coz its the only console i havent owned since about 1986

ive gathered bits and bobs of info that its relatively easy to play backups if you use a special boot disc first, but if this isnt true is modding an option?

just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some more specific information, because altho i got 12 games with it, theres no way im risking them if i could be using backups instead. want to keep them in top condition

cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You don't need any modding for the Dreamcast. Practically all iso's on the net are self booting (just burn the image and the DC will load it) and if they aren't you just have to use a utopia boot disk (you can burn this yourself). A search on google should find you the boot disk. I'm pretty sure the utopia boot disk allows imports to be played.

Only got one myself recently. Really enjoying the G-Rev games and hopefully will get time for Shenmue 1+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Retr0gamer wrote:
    hopefully will get time for Shenmue 1+2.
    Yea they're amazing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You don't need any modding for the Dreamcast. Practically all iso's on the net are self booting (just burn the image and the DC will load it) and if they aren't you just have to use a utopia boot disk (you can burn this yourself). A search on google should find you the boot disk. I'm pretty sure the utopia boot disk allows imports to be played.

Only got one myself recently. Really enjoying the G-Rev games and hopefully will get time for Shenmue 1+2.

ah fantastic news!

delighted with my purchase... €23.50 on ebay with 7 games, 2 controllers and a memory stick, and bought another 5 games for €6

so the fact that theyre mostly self booting isos to be found online is even better! cant wait for it to arrive now, all i need is some blank cds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

jaysus i had one of those, prob be up there with the mega drive for my fav console really underrated aswell.
    Shenmue was undoubtedly the most amazing game ive ever experienced- beautiful. Alot of heart put into the games some gems out there if you can find em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

wait wait wait.... If I get a dreamcast It can play back ups straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

#Elites wrote:
    wasnt that one of the reasons why the dreamcast failed?
    That and bad marketing on Sega Europe's part. Heh I remember a stunt staff in HMV on Henry St. played just before the PS2's launch... load of PS2 promo boxes around a TV running Soul Calibur on the DC. Everyone was amazed at the 'PS2's' amazing graphics.... then when they were told it was a DC everyone was like...

'Buh loike I heard dah was shoieh!'

Ohh yeah, idiotic gamers, another thing that killed it. Fantastic console. Saturn had some Gems too, pity Sonic X-Treme was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

I’ve recently wiped down my console. Downloaded streetfighter 3 tonight. The file ends in .cdi and I’ve tried one boot disk but no joy can anyone point me in the right direction in order to get this game playing?

Anyone know if there is a 3DO emulator for the DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I used to love my dreamcast, what a console, so vastly underrated.....

Shame the Ps2 kicked its ass! I pawned it off to one of my mates if memory serves correct....

Didnt know that backups were playable, I thought the games were "GDROMS" instead of CDROMS and can hold up to a Gig? If so do u just burn it onto a dvd?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Practically all the games are under the size of a CD and the the ones that are over the size of a CD are usually modified so that sounds effects etc. are of lower quality so that they will fit on a CD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont think im burning the games right

nothing worked that ive burned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Old thread I know, interested in the Dreamcast now.

Do you know if a pal console be able to play NTSC iso's without any modification?

Is the dreamcast scene still alive or are all the iso files gone by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Old thread I know, interested in the Dreamcast now.

Do you know if a pal console be able to play NTSC iso's without any modification?

Is the dreamcast scene still alive or are all the iso files gone by now?

The Dreamcast scene is still alive and well with people still making homebrew titles for it.

Check your inbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 overide13

mobileblog wrote: »
    I’ve recently wiped down my console. Downloaded streetfighter 3 tonight. The file ends in .cdi and I’ve tried one boot disk but no joy can anyone point me in the right direction in order to get this game playing?

Anyone know if there is a 3DO emulator for the DS?

You need disc juggler to handle the .cdi format

demo:http://www.padus.com/downloads/demo.php

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just did this mod - http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=70904

Closed it up before I did the PAL60 blob of solder on the R422 point :)

Just did the PAL60 solder blob mod too :)

Now will I get a LAN adapter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kerbdog, keep us posted on this will you. Ive read that leaving the hardware mod in place can cause damaging effects - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-region.htm

Some agree some dont apparently, so be interesting to hear from someone who actually has it done. Cheers

Haven't had any problems yet - yea could just install a switch for that point
    attachment.php?attachmentid=100200&stc=1&d=1262107553

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kerbdog wrote: »
    Haven't had any problems yet - yea could just install a switch for that point
    attachment.php?attachmentid=100200&stc=1&d=1262107553

Exactly what I was thinking - the best of both worlds. Fair play dude :)

Advertisement