Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adhesive for pond liner

Options
  • 04-03-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what kind of adhesive will stick pond liner to pond liner, and possibly to a concrete/stone pot?

I'm making a water feature out of a couple of large garden pots. I have been trying to bung the hole in the pot with mastic but it hasn't worked, I think the pot itself is too porous. I decided not to try waterproofing paint in favour of pond liner.

So now I have the pot lined with pond liner but I have a lot of big folds that I need to stick down flat so they don't show and don't catch water spray. I don't think it matters too much if the liner is not stuck to the pot, if (rain)water overflows between the pot and the liner it can get out of the drainage hole. Or will it 'float' the liner away from the pot edge?

I bought some Evostik Wet Grab which claims to stick most things, including plastics, instantly. The trial sample that i did with liner to liner took a couple of hours to dry, and even then came apart with no effort.

I have clamps that would hold the liner flat until adhesive sets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I would fibreglass them (after sealing up the holes with mortar) .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi looksee

Have you tried an acrylic primer on the stone to make it waterproof. You can get it at most tiling places or DIY shops. Looks like watery milk. Put on several coats.

Or I believe Ronseal do a clear waterproof mastic for bricks that may be able to do the job rather than lining the base with plastic

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for the suggestions Garyh3. I looked into those in Homebase but they only seemed to be 'moisture resistant' and required a coat of paint on top. I'll check some other places and see if there is anything 'waterproof', I'm sure there is something for sealing concrete tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I'm sure there is something for sealing concrete tanks.

I know guys who use 3 coats of G4 on concrete ponds ..... not as good as Fibreglass but it seems to do a good job ....

edit. ps. have you tried a hotmelt glue gun? ..... I did an experiment with one tonight on 1.0 mm thick butyl rubber and it did a great job ..... might be worth investigating ....?

Advertisement