Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Sat NAV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bit of advice: the older and cheaper the Sat Nav is, usually the less up to date the maps are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Been in quite a few taxis lately with Garmin units, they look to be the business. AFAIK they are europe wide maps too but not 100% sure.

thinking of treating myself to one in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

They'd hardly be that different though? One form 2005 would probly be 97% the same as a brand new map wouldnt it?

Whata re the german units? Havent seen any, just the tom toms in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a Garmin 310. Great little unit, is also a handsfree bluetooth speaker phone :)
    If yea buy one in Ireland you get Ireland & UK maps. You can buy European maps as well as US maps. The Irish maps are great as far as I have tested the unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

@ kerbdog: how much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? to update maps is it just a matter of plugging into internet connected pc?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmm, good timing on the request, one has just appeared on ibood.com, didn't pay attention to anything about it and had this thread open when I got the email:) Have a look anyway, might be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭bf

Got one of these last week, €250 all in delivered & can't fault it so far, has all the up to date maps for UK & Ireland and also includes maps for most of Europe.

I've tried to confuse it and take different routes and small country roads but it corrects instantly!

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/322094/art/airis/t920ef-gps-navigator-euro.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I bought a Route 66 Chicago 6000 for my mother a couple of months back. She's pretty happy with it, although i'd be interested to see how the Garmin and Tom Tom units rate in comparison.

Can anyone recommmend a cheap PDA with GPS (Possibly of Ebay) which I can then load software onto later to use as a sat nav system?

• Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.ie/TomTom-3-Satellite-Navigation-Car-Kit-Compaq-3630-PDA_W0QQitemZ270094412345QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So would the above be the cheapest there is out there? I know it only has UK maps (but thats what i really need it for), but i could get irish software a t a later date.

Well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Aldi have one for 199.99 next thursday which has 7 digit postcode search. Very handy if you're moving to the uk.

Ye was having a look, does it warn when your coming up to a fixed speed camera? Dont know if i can strectch to 200 at the moment though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

Anything else?

If i can find anyone that used the medion GoPAL software i may get one, theres no reviews of Irish coverage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

I work some days in the UK and use one of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123570

Only £ 139 incl vat, incl 1GB SD

As well as Ireland and the UK you get all Europe and it's an MP3 player.

Maps are Navigon 6

How good are the Irish maps on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Irish maps are very good, i live in Kilcullen near newbridge, kildare and my gaff is on it, estate is 4 years old.

W

Advertisement