Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine explosion - head gasket?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

Ok, am running a pos 96 fiesta at the moment, goes through quite a lot of oil. On thursday the engine started sticking (badly at low revs, ok at higher revs) after I filled it at tesco, oil warning light was coming on. Refilled the oil on saturday, and the engine isn't sticking since, but power is completely gone from 4th and 5th gear. Does this sound like a head gasket gone, or something worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm not sure what you mean by sticking, but a head gasket would be accompanied by a plume of white smoke out the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

ned78 wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean by sticking, but a head gasket would be accompanied by a plume of white smoke out the exhaust.

Basically, the engine would hesitate for a moment, like a piston had just stuck or stopped or something, then it would pick up again, and it would be fairly (though not totally) regular. No plume of smoke though, so I guess a head gasket is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sounds like a fuelling issue, or a spark issue. Make sure all your spark plugs are firing, if you have a mechanically competent friend, get him to listen for a misfire. Failing that, we need to know if your car is carburetter or fuel injected. If it's injected, it could be a block injector. If it's carbed, one of the jets feeding the petrol could be blocked (Although, by the way your car is driving, I doubt it). In either case, the fuel pump could be on it's way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How long was the oil warning light on for? Was it permanently on, or flickering occasionally? I'm assuming it was oil pressure (red)? I hate to say it, but driving for two days with the oil pressure warning light on will in all probability have destroyed your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

ned78 wrote:
    we need to know if your car is carburetter or fuel injected.
    It's a '96, so at the very least it's 8 valve EFI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We had a fiesta with worn rings that would regularly foul its plugs. Lack of power was most notice at low revs. Easy to check, while its idling pull the leads one at a time and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't its fouled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Head gasket blew so hard on my 99 Astra it caught fire - only some bloody do-gooder with a fire extinguisher in his car put it out before it went up and I had to fork out 2k to put a new engine in. Thanks a lot buddy!

Advertisement