Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant edit posts anymore?

• 05-03-2007 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

What the hell is wrong with boards these days. Are ye trying to make it more frustrating, a complete crap search feature that must be like this for the past year despite ye making stupid statements and hints that "wiat for the update lads, its gonna be great". The search is a joke and now you cant edit a post? So if you leave something out of your post and want to just edit it to add a "Ps: blah blah blah" you now cant and have to enter a new post which gets your postcount up towards nerd level. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: Can ye not just buy the new servers ye were saying ye needed,,,, ffs i`d nearly buy the feckin things for ye.
    Post edited by Shield on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No editing problems here.

After certain amount of time you aren't allowed to edit your posts any more... But I think it's something like 48 hours.

The servers were moved on Friday and there has been a huge speed increase on the website since then.There'll of course be a few hiccups while the servers settle in to their new home, but hopefully it won't be too long before the search is up and running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

*sigh*

They have the new hardware, its scheduled to go in next week.

Other problems are being caused by unforeseen issues caused by the moving of the current hardware to a new hosting provider on Friday, and some slight tweaking that was done on the network in a bid to make things better.

You know where the door is...

And nothing has changed with editing posts. You're clearly doing something wrong.

I have had some issues with speed since the changeover, its only fair to assume that other are as well. Unfortunately, the quick reply and AJAX edit don't make it obvious that there has been a problem in the same way that opening a new page will return an error.

I have had some issues with speed since the changeover, its only fair to assume that other are as well.
    In fairness, it's been nothing but silky smooth for me since it came back up on Friday. The only problems seem to be DNS propagation issues, which boards.ie can do nothing about.

My main issue is that the OP decided he was going to drop in and shoot his mouth off instead of thinking a little first :)
    What I said isn't factually incorrect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Nuttzy wrote:
    What the hell is wrong with boards these days. Are ye trying to make it more frustrating, a complete crap search feature that must be like this for the past year despite ye making stupid statements and hints that "wiat for the update lads, its gonna be great". The search is a joke and now you cant edit a post? So if you leave something out of your post and want to just edit it to add a "Ps: blah blah blah" you now cant and have to enter a new post which gets your postcount up towards nerd level. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: Can ye not just buy the new servers ye were saying ye needed,,,, ffs i`d nearly buy the feckin things for ye.

Jesus man, take a chill pill!

The admins have lives too and thus don't spend their entire life in a server room waiting for a fault to happen to resolve it.

Have patience.
    It's not like your life depends on this site!

Refresh your page and the edit button should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nutzzy, what exact problem did you experience? If you posted a reply and couldn't go back and edit it before the (c)48 hours time period then, yes, there may be a problem. I wouldn't know as I have more editing privileges. No need to go off on a huffy rant about it, explain your problem and you'll be listened to.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    ffs i`d nearly buy the feckin things for ye.
    Sure, subscribe for a month of more, that's always a help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nuttzy wrote:
    Are ye trying to make it more frustrating
    Yes. You've caught onto a cunning plan. Every little annoyance you encounter on boards is part of a massive plan to make it more frustrating.

Beyond boards too actually. We've been sending out crack squads of caffeined-up moderators to unscrew salt-cellars in cafes for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nuttzy wrote:
    What the hell is wrong with boards these days.
    People who dont read the Announcements.

seamus wrote:
    In fairness, it's been nothing but silky smooth for me since it came back up on Friday. The only problems seem to be DNS propagation issues, which boards.ie can do nothing about.
    regi had admitted that one of the servers had been acting up after the move, and that he wasn't sure what the issue was. I never saw clarification on a fix, so I assumed that this was still an issue.
    seamus wrote:
    My main issue is that the OP decided he was going to drop in and shoot his mouth off instead of thinking a little first
    Well, there is that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I've had one post, count it, just one, that I couldn't edit since the move. Just one. Only one. That's right one.
    I want my money back.

Oh, and Seamus is right, boards is bombing along for me since the change.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I weep for humanity.

Announcements are your friend.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ok, the edit thing seems to have been a 1 time flukey problem. The speed of the dite is rather slow at the min though, any of ye finding that? Its taking about 10secs to load a page and sometimes doesnt load just goes to page cant be displayed after the 10secs and I have to refresh it which doesnt always work, i seem to have to clear the entire address in the Explorer address box back to just boards.ie to get it to reload. Basically, it wont refresh the full link like if i click in a thread in motors it doesnt load and then refreshing the full link doesnt load so i have to basically go back to the main boards page.

Can ye confirm exactly how long the search facility has been down and why is this not fixed yet? Surely this is a basic feature that needs to prioritised to make the forums anyway useable and user-friendly. What is the actual problem regarding this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nuttzy wrote:
    Can ye confirm exactly how long the search facility has been down and why is this not fixed yet? Surely this is a basic feature that needs to prioritised to make the forums anyway useable and user-friendly. What is the actual problem regarding this anyway.
    Here's an idea. How about you try to rephrase the above without sounding like a whiney little maggot?

Let's take "Surely this is a basic feature that needs to be prioritised".

Now here we have a valid opinion, "The search facility is a basic feature that should be brought back as soon as possible" which is in turn no doubt based on a reasonable experience, "I have found the search facility to be extremely useful, to the point where the lack of it impacts quite severely upon my use of this site".

So far so good. This is what is called feedback. It is polite, but far from sycophantic. It is pointing out a negative thing about the site, but without wallowing in that negativity.

But you couldn't be happy with that. Mistaking the term "feedback" for "ungrateful bitching" you have to phrase it in such a way as to imply that either the people responsible somehow didn't realise it's important (though if you'd read even the teeniest bit of this forum's recent posts then the bit where an admin said that they were going to try to bring back the old search might have given you a bit of a clue) and/or were just being lazy (though if you'd read even the teeniest bit of this forum's recent posts you might have had an indication of just how much work has gone into it over the weekend).

And prioritised over what? Would you really be happy if search were working perfectly on the site, but the site couldn't actually be reached from anyone outside of the local network the machine is on? Surely, that is poor prioritising? Man, you suck at prioritising.

Unless you have a good idea of just what has been going on, which you don't, you don't really have anything to base your pronouncements on how things should be prioritised, do you?

And here's a good answer as to "why it isn't fixed yet". The people fixing it have better things to do with their lives. This is easily deduced from the fact that the admins are not total losers with no lives. Anyone who is not a total loser with no life will from time to time have better things to do from time to time than fix any given feature on this site - sometimes including other things they could be fixing on this site, but mostly not. Anyone else who also is not a total loser with no life will understand this.

Of course, there are some things less important than fixing search too. Like explaining what the problem is to someone who whines about it.

Why don't you try giving the same feedback without whining?

You have valid points. It is possible for you to express them without sounding like a twat. You just need to prioritise differently.

Frankly, if I was doing the work that has been done over the weekend and a paying client came back with the attitude you did, I'd be pretty pissed off with them.

Talliesin - i should hope that the admins arent total losers and do actually have lives that dont revolve around fixing the search feature or whatever. But the search must be down at least a year, its not like they just put it off for a week or 2 and i started bitching for the sake of a few extra days/weeks. Were talking a year,, to leave the search down for so long doesnt suggest that the admins have such hectic, adventureous lives, it suggests that they cant be bothered fixing it.

If they havent time or even if they cant be bothered theres enough keen computer using this forum that i would assume would be more than willing to help out in order to get the site someway useable.

I actually have a life meself, so sorry if i didnt take the time to phase this post in a nice constructive, structured manner based on some little feedback protocol that you would seem to like me to use. Now, im off out for a jog. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

You're right, we actually can't be bothered. Your keen little detective badge is winging it's way to you in the post as I type this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Firstly- ROFFLE, oh my God Roffle, I think my sides will burst.

Secondly - NoNuts, use google, it works just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Google? ... do you have a link, please?

6th wrote:
    Google? ... do you have a link, please?
    www.google.com

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I would have told him to search for it.

But then, I'm evil.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Search isnt "broken". We *took* it offline because it was a horrible memory hog which was limiting the users we could handle. We took stock of the situation and made a decision that servicing more users was a better way to go then offering fewer users the search engine but with awful speed for the main site. This took into account the alternative search engine options which we tried.

We can't *fix* it because its not broken.

Oh yeah, and by the way, next time try doing something, like editing a post, more then once before you run here to complain its not working.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DeVore wrote:
    ...and made a decision that servicing more users was a better way to go...

[KennethWilliams]ooooohhh, Matron![/KennethWilliams] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

DeVore wrote:
    Search isnt "broken". We *took* it offline because it was a horrible memory hog which was limiting the users we could handle. We took stock of the situation and made a decision that servicing more users was a better way to go then offering fewer users the search engine but with awful speed for the main site. This took into account the alternative search engine options which we tried.

We can't *fix* it because its not broken.

Oh yeah, and by the way, next time try doing something, like editing a post, more then once before you run here to complain its not working.

DeV.

FYI:

Ubuntuforums.org has a lot of regular members and had search issues too. They replaced the vBulletin search with sphinxsearch apparently. It might be an idea to look into doing something similar.

Perhaps ye could look into that thing the above posted suggested, or what if ye just keep the search for searching back through the last 2years threads instead of all the years back. Would that reduce the strain on memory and still be useable for the main site.

Or maube get rid of all the useless pointless forums like all that hoffman and mustard or marbars crappy forums.

Ps: Is it just me or is anyone else missing the little forum tabs at the top of the main boards page now? I noticed this a couple of other days too but they returned after a bit. Im on about the drop down menus from the main headings. The only way i can get to a certain forum is by relying on a recent thread on the main page.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Maybe we should ban annoying users, that will reduce the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Nuttzy wrote:
    Or maube get rid of all the useless pointless forums like all that hoffman and mustard or marbars crappy forums.

Oh dear....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ecksor wrote:
    Maybe we should ban annoying users, that will reduce the load.

Less of the maybe and just do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Nuttzy wrote:
    The only way i can get to a certain forum is by relying on a recent thread on the main page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php