Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig Skate Park

Options
  • 05-03-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Lads, does anyone know anything about the Ballincollig Skate Park. Have seen a pic on here alright but is that confirmed yet? Who is going to be building it?

ballincollig_skatepark_cork.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I don't unfortunately but it looks pretty good hope it comes together the skateparks Ireland gets the bigger the scene I think! It will become more attractive lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

the concrete slab is done and the fencing should be done by now. it is up for tender to find ramps for it.

www.rebelbmx.com for info on it

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The railing is up the whole way around but the building site railing is still up aswell.No sign of any ramps yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Another heap of shi.t prefab park. Great. Why? Another bog standard catalog pick n mix. Woodworx was infinitely better than that.

Loosely related, as I'm sure you're all aware, the sales office for Rhino is based in Galway and headed up by a twat by the name of Stephen Walshe, who according to Jah Eerie has referred in the press to the likes of Bushy/Lucan/Greystones/Gorey becoming 'White elephants' in the future - as in they won't be used & will be a waste of public money. Approach at your own peril...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

where is ballincollig.
    it does look like a bit of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

luapenak wrote:
    where is ballincollig.
    it does look like a bit of fun

It looks like it is in the Regional Park. Its on the westside of the town (on the Ovens side, not Bishopstown side). Coming from the town centre, towards Ovens/Macroom you will pass the White Horse bar on your left, straight away you have a roundabout and its the 3rd exit and down that road about 150 metres. The road will veer right and its on that corner. Just carry on around the bend and the entrance is on the right. There is a carpark there and its in behind that. If you are on bike or foot there is a foot bridge right on the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

yea. but which county or large town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

fisheye wrote:
    Another heap of shi.t prefab park. Great. Why? Another bog standard catalog pick n mix. Woodworx was infinitely better than that.

Loosely related, as I'm sure you're all aware, the sales office for Rhino is based in Galway and headed up by a twat by the name of Stephen Walshe, who according to Jah Eerie has referred in the press to the likes of Bushy/Lucan/Greystones/Gorey becoming 'White elephants' in the future - as in they won't be used & will be a waste of public money. Approach at your own peril...

Just to clarify - Mr Walshe is a Councillor in Galway
    - he did make the 'White elephant' statement (I have it in writing), but I don't know if he's involved with Rhino.

IF he is that would seem like a massive conflict of interest to me :eek:

Fisheye, not sure if ya got your wires crossed here, best to check things like that before somebody gets upset / misquoted

All that said, Ballincollig looks like just another modular park, that'll be rottin in the rain fairly soon. I was hopin that other councils would see how successful Bushy/Lucan/ (& soon to open) Gorey & Greystones are & go along those lines.
    Sad really

Be interestin to know how much of OUR MONEY is bein wasted....

JohnBoy

luapenak wrote:
    yea. but which county or large town?

Ballincollig is in Co Cork.

It's a modular park because they did'nt get the budget for a concrete park.
    Also this is the layout the local end users agreed with.

I will be happy to use it,I'd prefer if it was'nt built by rhino,but the tender is still up for grabs,so who knows.

wideangle wrote:
    I will be happy to use it,I'd prefer if it was'nt built by rhino,but the tender is still up for grabs,so who knows.

Are there any other good companies out there, i have been keeping on eye on that kind of thing. ARe there any other options for councils to take other than Rhino, companies the make good parks and would be a realistic alternative to them.

• Advertisement

it is still up for tender for the ramps and it will be in the echo in the next week or two, but they wont be putting the ramps in until april/may and it is supposed to be open in June. At the moment the concrete slab is done so whatever ramps are going in will have to be modular style so we are trying to get concrete modular ramps.

Anyone have good links for any concrete modular style ramps suppliers. But at the moment it looks like we are getting rhino crap

www.rebelbmx.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

Even if they put in flat concrete with some ledges,it would be skated more than dodgy plastic ramps...who actually makes these decisions because I cant see any self respecting skater opting for one of those things.
    If your looking for decent skate parks check out -
    www.concrete-skateparks.com

Its defo the way forward

I am a bmx rider and ledges arent the most fun, we need quarter pipes too. Most of the BMXers dont want a skate plaza. As I already said the concrete slab has already been layed so what ever we get it will be modular whether its concrete or not. But hopefully we can get concrete modular ramps, but it looks like it will be rhino ramps cause they have very little money left to spend on the modular ramps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

I understand.Did you check out the link I sent you for concrete skateparks?
    I know you may not have alot of money but Im sure the accomodate every type of budget.

The real problem is that the council went for 'modular' in the first place.
    Anybody's builder cousin can set up modular stuff on a concrete slab
    - just like they do with playgrounds.

I have spoken in detail with the guys at Dublin City & South Dub CoCo
    - they both went for 'in-situ' concrete parks (Bushy/Lucan) & they're both delighted. Contrast this with Westmeath - they went modular & the only people usin it are kids on scooters & tricycles (no joke)
    Waste of time & money.

There was a time (back in the late 80s/early 90s) when we would've been happy with anything the council would provide - we had NOTHING.
    The only skate areas were what we built in back gardens (til our folks got p*ssed off with 'em) Clives ramp on Hill st. & variouos street spots which eventually got skate-stopped.
    Thankfully, that's ancient history, but the only way to get decent parks built IS TO GET INVOLVED FROM THE START.

Ballincollig spending the bulk of their funding on a concrete slab is nonsense
    - buts its done now.

If someone can post the link for the tender for the ramps on here, I'm sure other decent companies (Fearless/Bencrete/etc) might be interested.
    If ya don't know already - RHINO IS UTTER CRAP & SHOULD BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    (Based on various 'skateparks' we've skated which they're responsible for)

That's my rant over
    See ya in da deep end

JohnBoy

Cork Skate wrote:
    Are there any other good companies out there, i have been keeping on eye on that kind of thing. ARe there any other options for councils to take other than Rhino, companies the make good parks and would be a realistic alternative to them.

Lads, Buchy and Lucan are concrete yeah? Who built them? Are they an Irish company?

Does anyone know of any Irish companies that build concrete parks, there has to be someone doing it.

Cork Skate wrote:
    Lads, Buchy and Lucan are concrete yeah? Who built them? Are they an Irish company?

Does anyone know of any Irish companies that build concrete parks, there has to be someone doing it.

Yeah, Bushy was built by Airspeed (from Oregon) but they were subcontracted by an Irish company - A.P.Thompson.
    2 of the same team are building Greystones (an amazing park in Wicklow)
    - due to be finished in the next few weeks.

Freestyle built Lucan - they have also finished another nice little park in Gorey (Wexford)

Both A.P.Thompson & Freestyle know what they're doin
    & they both have skaters involved in the design & build - THIS IS CRUCIAL.
    You should be able to find both of them on the web, but if ya have any problems lemme know & I'll get contact details for ya.

Cheers,

JohnBoy

Tender is advertised on etenders now:

Title: Design Provision and Erection of Skate Park Furniture / Regional Park/Ballincollig Co Cork
    Published by: Cork County Council
    Publication Date: 09/03/2007
    Application Deadline: 23/03/2007
    Notice Deadline Date: 13/04/2007
    Notice Dealine Time 12:00
    Notice Type: Tender
    Has Documents: No
    Abstract: Design, Provide and Erect skate park furniture for the skate park at the Regional Park Ballincollig Co Cork
    The furniture is to be designed manfactured and installed to the latest safety legislation such as PAS30 ,PAS35 AND BSEN1176 and current ROSPA /NPFA Safety Standards

I presume we can keep track of who applies,meeting with the guy incharge fo awarding the tender soon.

• Advertisement

There is 70,000 euro left of the budget for the ramps.
    As stated earlier the tender is currently up for grabs.
    The design was drawn up by freestyle and as long as the budget does not go over this is the final design.We are hoping for a duraskate surface which is grippier than the rhino surface and is fiberglass based.

We were told once the skatepark is up and running there is no problem getting the ramps or rails moved around to change the layout once the usage is high.

So what can we get rampwise for this amount?links welcome to suppliers who can meet the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

As your allready stuck with a modular park your best bet is to go for a concrete modular park as opposed to steel, duraskate,rhinotop or skatelite surface (they promise the world but are all crap).
    The following companies supply modular concrete so I'd contact these yourself and e-mail them a link to the e-tender page and invite them to submit a design.
    as mentioned earlier..http://www.wheelscape.co.uk/skatepark-designs.htm

www.bendcrete.com

http://www.skatestone.de/skatestone-eng/index.htm
    (distributed in ireland by http://www.spraoilinn.com/

http://www.whiteskate.co.uk/

Insist that the council have a consultation meeting with skaters after the closing date for submissions to decide which company to give the contract to. Also ask the council to alert you to which companies have submitted tenders before the closing date so you can research where they have built parks before and what the local skaters thought of them , it might look good on paper but have a crappy surface www.skateparkpages.co.uk is usefull for this.It'd also be a good idea to contact these companies and ask for broucures to see which has the widest range of obstacles.It'a bit like designing a park on playstation a bit limiting but at least it'll be better than a slippy "W" design rhino-rhiteoff.

They will not even concider concrete modular as it will cost more than 170,000,and also the county engineer does not the way they would have to be installed,cutting the flat surface and then concerting the join between the ramps and the flat.
    I have allready contacted a few companies to get more putting in for the tender.I reckon it is going to be duraskate or rhino top surface as skatelite pro does not like bmx pegs too much.

Regarding the consultation,we can seek another meeting after the tender is closed.
    Will keep ye posted.

Is David Delap the county engineer? I don't know what duraskate is like but rhinotop is dangerously slippy.Walking up a rhino bank I was slipping back down ..wearing vans! That was in the dry any damp or dust and it's lethal. GBH got the contract for Cabra skatepark and their design for that is at least fairly imaginative compared with the usual tripe modular companies throw out.The surface they use is steel with a bitumin based paint, cabra should be open fairly soon so I'll let you know what it's like once I get to skate it.

The county engineer has got none of his facts straight
    " it will cost more than 170,000,"...depends on the design and the company providing the ramps, bendcrete,whiteskate and wheelscape are UK based and will be cheaper I'd imagine as they dont have to ship concrete ramps from germany."and also the county engineer does not like the way they would have to be installed,cutting the flat surface and then concreting the join between the ramps and the flat." Every company has a different method of installation, unfortunately none I'm aware of use this method... which is a pity as it is really the best method as far as quality is concerned.Most place the ramps on a concrete base and join using sheet steel.

Yes Dave Delap is the engineer.The 170,000e was for the whole park including the concrete slab and fencing. They only have 70,000e left towards the ramps which isnt much. Dave Delap said he priced concrete modular and it was to expensive so we dont have much options left and we are trying to keep him away from Rhino. The concrete slab that was laid was purposely put on a slope so that water would drain off and the slab would dry faster but I think that was a crap idea cause now when you hit the hip goin one way you will be goin down hill and going up hill the other way.

Dave Delap,is staying well away from gbh and any other sheet metal surfaced ramps because they have to be recoated every two years.Also not too into them meself either.
    I am well aware of how slippy rhino ramps can be.Who ever gets the contract has to keep inside the budget other wise there is a serious rethink of the amount of ramps and obsticles going into the park.

I e-mailed Dave Delap and asked him which companies have expressed an interest in the construction of the skatepark so far,this is the list he sent me:

Document Issue List
    Date Name

1 12/03/07 J.J. Brown
    Loughlee
    Carrigadrohid
    Co. Cork

2 12/03/07 David Harvey
    Total Play Solutions
    Woodside Road Industrial Estate
    Woodside road
    Ballymena
    Co. Antrim
    BT42 4QJ

3 12/03/07 Anne Burke
    Spraoilinn Ltd
    Ballygarran House
    Kilmuckeridge
    Co. Wexford

4 12/03/07 Christy Hanbury
    Wooden Delights Ltd
    Mincloon
    Rahoon
    Galway

5 12/03/07 GO PLAY
    Corofin
    Tuam
    Co. Galway

6 13/03/07 Steve Crawford
    Freestyle

7 14/03/07 Lisa O’Sullivan
    Playdale Playgrounds Ltd.

8 22/03/07 Bill Hatch
    UCA Ltd.
    Maritime House
    143 Woodville Street
    Glasgow
    G51 2RQ

9 26/03/07 Missy Mittag
    American Ramp Company

10 28/03/07 Mark Clogg
    General Manager
    GBH Engineering Ltd
    11a Haven Road
    Canford Cliffs
    Poole
    BH13 7LE

1 12/03/07 J.J. Brown
    Loughlee
    Carrigadrohid
    Co. Cork

Don't know who this is maybe it's the guys behind railslide ramps

2 12/03/07 David Harvey
    Total Play Solutions
    Woodside Road Industrial Estate
    Woodside road
    Ballymena
    Co. Antrim
    BT42 4QJ

Here's their website... http://www.sportssurfaces.net/products/total_play/index.asp
    they distribute skatewave modular ramps an american company typical stuff.

3 12/03/07 Anne Burke
    Spraoilinn Ltd
    Ballygarran House
    Kilmuckeridge
    Co. Wexford

Distributors of skatestone precast modular and Hags modular ramps

4 12/03/07 Christy Hanbury
    Wooden Delights Ltd
    Mincloon
    Rahoon
    Galway

Playground company distributor of Rhino ramps

5 12/03/07 GO PLAY
    Corofin
    Tuam
    Co. Galway

Here's their website.... http://www.goplay.ie/ they distribute austrian made hmg modular ramps.. http://members.aon.at/hmg/
    Horrendous metal frame and fibreglass (thought they stopped using that in the 70's) surfced ramps.

6 13/03/07 Steve Crawford
    Freestyle

Builders of Lucan and Gorey ....recomended

7 14/03/07 Lisa O’Sullivan
    Playdale Playgrounds Ltd.

Rubbish metal modular monstrosities the worst ramps I've skated

8 22/03/07 Bill Hatch
    UCA Ltd.
    Maritime House
    143 Woodville Street
    Glasgow
    G51 2RQ

Not sure but this might be whiteskate as they're based in glasgow

9 26/03/07 Missy Mittag
    American Ramp Company

A range of modular and concrete products, modular stuff is very X games their concrete division built the DC plaza I believe.

10 28/03/07 Mark Clogg
    General Manager
    GBH Engineering Ltd
    11a Haven Road
    Canford Cliffs
    Poole
    BH13 7LE[/QUOTE]
    Metal ramps with bitumin surface treatment

Freestyle are by far the best on this list, but david delap will no doubt go for Rhino or one of the other easy solutions. I'd go for either a mini concrete plaza with a few blocks thrown around the place or if he goes with modular a miniramp setup. Mini's are the only thing that works well in modular and if you can get a wide one with a hip maybe it'll be a lot more usefull than a quarterpipe-funbox-bank set up.

The design has been chozen allready,the picture at the start of this thread is the final design as long as the price is right.Freestyle designed is so I hope it will go to freestyle.

By the end of the summer we will have three skateparks and not one mini ramp between them,but thats the way it goes just hit one quarter and pedel to the oppisite quarter:rolleyes:
    Either way the Maradyke skatepark is being built by Freestyle and it will be concrete,so Ballincollig might get little use after that as not everyone has transport to get to Ballincollig,but most of the bmxers do so we will use both no matter what they are made of!!!

• Advertisement

I actually e-mailed fearless ramps as well, but David Delap did not mentsion they had applied for the documentation,so not sure what has happened there.

Advertisement