Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like an independent NWTV service ?..

Options
  • 05-03-2007 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Recently I have been taking a very close look at the possibility of local T.V. and broadband independent broadcasting.

I have discovered that a totally independent NWTV live broadcast T.V. could be set up at a fraction of old technology cost's.

The T.V. via Sky & V.Sat cost has become very low, and broadband reception costs are neglible.

The outside broadcast vans with full encryption costs have dropped dramatically, so people could receive a quality signal via both Satellite T.V. on thier own television sets, and on computer via broadband capable of receiving over 1.5mbps. From a one van and one camera mobile set up, which could be on air long before our national T.V. companies.

I will investigate further if North-West members are interested in the importance of such a development, which is currently being tested throughout Europe with great success :) ,and the audience is worldwide !.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy tv.

its got potentail.

Paddy let us know your findings, i am always curious as to what is the backing of a project like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

nanook wrote:
    paddy tv.

its got potentail.

Paddy let us know your findings, i am always curious as to what is the backing of a project like this

This is simply an idea that has gained credibility and been proven to work.

Personaly ,I am only interested as it offers T.V. rather than basic radio broadcast facilitie's. It is of no commercial/business interest to me.

I watched a programme on the FTA Sky channel called 'Informaion.TV' which they broadcast live using this new cheap T.V. system, and it worked. Plus I was amazed at how cheap the set up cost was.

P :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Interesting, though I'd imagine some serious financial backing would be required.

Also have you looked into the licensing of such a service. Ireland being Ireland, if there is nothing stopping this then they'll find a way.

If its a local element you are looking for be prepared for confrontation from local radio who frown on competition in North Donegal and unless you can get them on board (potentially to make money) then you could find as many obstacles as you like.

The costs of equipment, even really good cameras are well down, though actually running the service day to day is quite severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the impact of TV9 in Derry is used as an example then I think this idea is a non-runner. It's a good idea in principle but from a practical perspective not.

If you compare local radio for example, you can see the huge difference in costs involved. For example many night radio shows are automated pre-recordings. Radio doesn't need sets and advertising is very cheap to put together. Imagine the cost involved for a local business to put together any sort of decent video advert together compared to a radio advert.

In order for it to succeed you'd need local stations to be able to buy in normal TV programming at a very cheap rate. Imagine for example that you had numerous local tv stations around the country being able to buy "Friends" at a reasonable rate alongside RTE and TV3. The program makers should essentially be able to earn revenue from both national and local advertising slots. I think that channel 6 must currently be based on something like this.
    DONEGALMAN wrote:
    If its a local element you are looking for be prepared for confrontation from local radio who frown on competition in North Donegal and unless you can get them on board (potentially to make money) then you could find as many obstacles as you like.

I think that if you look at the Rivermedia group who have the POST newspapers and Ocean FM that there is cost synergies to be achieved in selling multiple media.

The new broadcast technology that I am talking about at present is using MPEG4 via VSat, and it will happen.

We will be able to watch live broadcasts from community meetings in hotels/halls etc, and perhaps even Local Authority meetings if democracy exists here ?..; CLICK on the link below my sig !.

P.:cool:
    http://www.information.tv/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    Lick on the link below my sig !.
    No thanks, thats disgusting Paddy :D

muffler wrote:
    No thanks, thats disgusting Paddy :D

You dirty minded sod ;) I have changed my spelling mistake, which was a 'slip of the tongue'!.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    You dirty minded sod ;) I have changed my spelling mistake, which was a 'slip of the tongue'!.

Glad to see you haven't lost that witty tongue:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I was thinking about one particular local media company who have a reputation for monoploising things, quite legally.

Advertisement