Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin getting more violent?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

seen a guy get the crap kicked out of him on O'Connell street last night, he actually started, it threw the first punch against one of three polish guys who didn't see the squad car like a foot away from them. one of 'em even tried to run, couldn't help singing the Benny Hill chase music at him as he ran by ,don't think he appreciated it. anyhoo my question is, is this getting worse? i mean apart from the shootings and dismembered guys I mean just the walking down the street stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It's hard to say.
    Personally I'd expect a random punch in the face from a passer-by as much now as I did in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, wrong forum. Moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking from personal experience working in bar/nightclub security for over 15yrs I'd say yes it is.

But compared to 15 yrs ago we've a much bigger population, and that increase in violence (in my experience) comes mainly from that sector of our population growth.

Anyone concerned or interested in 'real' self defence in an urban environment should PM 'Jon' on the Self Defence & Martial Arts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having never been assualted or even remotely come near to being assaulted in the city, I'd have to say I have no benchmark against which to measure it.

However, the number of random violence events I've seen has dropped a lot in recent years. But that may be a function of getting older and going to better places :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

nicolo wrote:
    he actually started, it threw the first punch against one of three polish guys

As a doorman i simply refer to this as suicide. Sure, it's other people kicking the crap out of you, but you walked into it. Other ways to commit suicide include :

1) Asking "whats that smell?" in the middle of a halting site.
    2) Sitting in the Glasglow Rangers end in your Celtic Jersey.
    3) Loudly talking about how "all these ****ing immigrants are scum" in Burger King at 2:30 on a Friday night ( this one i actually witnessed myself, i was amazed )

While i find that what i call "casual violence" has gone up, it's normally because people are just honest to God stupid.

For some reason people seem to feel that nothing is going to happen to them and they can do what they want. A friend of my girlfriends is a prime example of this.... he goes out and is arrogant, disrespectful and ignorant to all around him when he has drink in him. He throws things are people and calls people names.

Is he going to get a beating some night? Yes.
    Will this be avoidable if he cops on a bit? Yes.

SO yeah, i see casual violence on the increase, but i normally see it being started by idiots, as opposed to a "tough guy starting on a victim" situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

So OP, you see one incident and think it's Iraq? :rolleyes:

I probably see something like this once a year, doesn't mean the city is going to ****........it means there's some crazy folk out there with drink on them like hitting people.

As for the arrogant type knobber that Dragan is talking about....night after the Rugby match, getting out of a taxi on Dawson St, paying the taxi man. Some guy goes over to the rear door and opens it and tells my buddy to get the **** out and calls him an asshole. My friend tells your man to GFH and gets out. We pay. Your man tries to square up to my friend, who is clearly about 5/6" smaller. Typical you're smaller than me BS :rolleyes: So I decided to play along and I'd about 5/6" on the bully but he didn't treat me the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Often attributed to size of city. One solution would be to increase the gardai, and give them better pay, benefits, and training. But it could be worse! Los Angeles is a war zone, especially at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have only seen about 2 or 3 fights in Dublin at night. I have been most places in Dublin, and am out most weekends, maybe i am just lucky to avoid it all but i always though the safety issue in Dublin at night was completely blow out of proportion.

99% of fights i have seen/heard about could of easily been avoidable. As dragan said, what the **** was he thinking going up and smacking a group of 3 people? Did he think they would just stand there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dragan wrote:
    While i find that what i call "casual violence" has gone up, it's normally because people are just honest to God stupid.
    Nope, it's also because coke is rife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think it's getting worse..I see a lot more stuff going on than before. I don't know why this is happening.

I can tell you though that 99% of all fights can be avoided. I'm a average size bloke..not a pussy, but no way a hard man either and I've been in one fight before, that was me being a drunken idiot, but I copped on after that and I've never had anyone start a fight or be aggressive with me on the street at all...99% of the time you don't find trouble without looking for it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I have only seen about 2 or 3 fights in Dublin at night. I have been most places in Dublin, and am out most weekends, maybe i am just lucky to avoid it all but i always though the safety issue in Dublin at night was completely blow out of proportion.

99% of fights i have seen/heard about could of easily been avoidable. As dragan said, what the **** was he thinking going up and smacking a group of 3 people? Did he think they would just stand there?

Exactly. If anyone thinks Dublin is rough at night they would want to go on a session any weekend in a country town. Country bouncers usually let you in no matter how much you have drank as long as you can walk straight. Therefore the place is full of people who have been drinking from midday until 2:30am, on any given night in a country town yid see at least 2 fights, (and probably a whole lot more you dont see as you are too pissed). You would see a brawl in Dublin maybe every 3rd weekend. Its probably also to do with the fact that in a small town when on the tear you are more likely to bump into someone you dislike, due to the small population. If you are from Tallaght and hate some prick you went to school with, the chances of bumping into him in the vast crowded expanse of town are alot lower.

Nope, it's also because coke is rife.

I find it hard to see how you can somehow seperate getting coked up and fighting and stupidity??? ;)

shane86 wrote:
    Exactly. If anyone thinks Dublin is rough at night they would want to go on a session any weekend in a country town. Country bouncers usually let you in no matter how much you have drank as long as you can walk straight. Therefore the place is full of people who have been drinking from midday until 2:30am, on any given night in a country town yid see at least 2 fights, (and probably a whole lot more you dont see as you are too pissed). You would see a brawl in Dublin maybe every 3rd weekend. Its probably also to do with the fact that in a small town when on the tear you are more likely to bump into someone you dislike, due to the small population. If you are from Tallaght and hate some prick you went to school with, the chances of bumping into him in the vast crowded expanse of town are alot lower.

I completely agree, you are far more likely to end up in a fight in a country town. However, you're far more likely to get put in hospital or worse if you end up in one in the city which is why it scares people more I think. That and you hear about a lot of the really bad cases on the news a lot, but no city has escaped that really tbh, it's just that with Dublin having so many more people it's always going to have more incidents and is a lot more likely to have a larger number of serious ones. On average though it's not endemic like some of the places over in the UK.

Dragan wrote:
    1) Asking "whats that smell?" in the middle of a halting site.

LOL, last place I worked in had karaoke on every Friday night. The DJ was a complete asshole. Anyway one night four traveller's were in the bar and one asked to sing.

Sang his song and the DJ says "You've a very traditional voice, you must be well travelled"... Uproar in seconds!.

And Shane, your right about rural towns.

About 12-13 yrs ago I was offered work in Leixlip. "Ah" I thought, "that has to be a handy one"... I think we fought every weekend. It was in the days when doorstaff wore white shirts and dickiebow's. Well thank god Penny's were selling white shirts for £3 at the time!.

Being a country boy i will happily say that the majority of boys up in Dublin who think they fight really have no clue!

I love doing doorwork in Dublin pups, it's a freaking cake walk compared to country places! Those boys just won't stay down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dragan wrote:
    Being a country boy i will happily say that the majority of boys up in Dublin who think they fight really have no clue!

I love doing doorwork in Dublin pups, it's a freaking cake walk compared to country places! Those boys just won't stay down!

I accept your challenge, my culchie friend :D:D:D

Dragan wrote:

Jeeze whats this forum coming to?.

We've a ditch jumper among us lads!.

Dragan I will happily say I love working a door a country town, those country sista's just love a bit of Dublin in 'em and they love to stay down (and duuuuuuuurty!).

:D

Collie D wrote:

But he a Black Belt in the ancient Irish martial art of Shillelagh fighting..

Here he is fighting over a potato (Dragan in white in his yellow belt days)

newMainPage1.JPG

Oh yea, and he's a huge fuker too!.

***Btw D I didn't see you at the last R.o.T. I've got the DVD if you'd like it. Its sh*t quality so don't buy it***

Collie D wrote:

Sweet! Then afterwards we can have a rap off over shots, you'll win, but I bet I can string a mean line together about Massey Fergusons!!!! :D
    Mairt wrote:
    Dragan I will happily say I love working a door a country town, those country sista's just love a bit of Dublin in 'em and they love to stay down (and duuuuuuuurty!).

It's true! Any sort of reticience was rode out of them long ago!!!! :eek:
    Mairt wrote:
    ***Btw D I didn't see you at the last R.o.T. I've got the DVD if you'd like it. Its sh*t quality so don't buy it***

Didn't make the last one, due to other commitments. Glad I didn't either, as crowd elements last time nearly saw an impromtu heavy sparring session go down at ring side, apparently the last one was no better?

That would be sweet, apparently there were some short sharp fights at it!

Oh yeah, and i'm huger now!!! :eek:

Dragan wrote:
    Glad I didn't either, as crowd elements last time nearly saw an impromtu heavy sparring session go down at ring side, apparently the last one was no better?

Yea it was the same crowd too. Rushed the ringside this time and threw some beer at the PCC fighter.

Thankfully thats not a regular occurance as a few of us from Andy Ryan's SBGn are heading up to Belfast this Sunday for Karl Roaches warm up fight before Cage Rage in the point.

Just getting back to door work and fighting Dub's for a second. I've said this for year's..

The difference between a scrap on the door in Dublin and the bog is, the Dub 'hardman' will take a clatter, whip out the mobile phone and ring the guards crying he's been assaulted for nothing. The bogger will stand toe to toe with ya, take his beating and 9 times out of ten walk away. Respect!.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:
    The difference between a scrap on the door in Dublin and the bog is, the Dub 'hardman' will take a clatter, whip out the mobile phone and ring the guards crying he's been assaulted for nothing. The bogger will stand toe to toe with ya, take his beating and 9 times out of ten walk away. Respect!.

That and the bogger probably left school at 12 so he could heft around concrete blocks and bales of hay all day. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

Mairt wrote:

What an utterly f*cking stupid thing to say. "Boggers" are harder than Dubs, talk about generalisation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

What an utterly f*cking stupid thing to say. "Boggers" are harder than Dubs, talk about generalisation...
    Exactly what im thinking...

He's not saying boggers are harder than Dubs. Personally I maintain they might be a little bit "hardier" if you would, more likely to have been involved in manual labour and such when they are younger but things really are different in the country.

I grew up about as "in the country" as you can get. If a scrap breaks out between two boys it's left between them to sort it out. If one guy is losing badly it will be broken up and called an end to….. This was always the way in school, in the pub, wherever. If an issue is there and they want to fight over it then let them sort it, then see them right afterwards. This was as a punter. As a doorman, if a fight starts its getting stopped by me and that’s the end of it. Both parties will be put out with about a 5 minute gap between them to avoid fighting in the streets.

I have never seen this happen in Limerick, Dublin, or any of the cities I have done doors in. A fight starts and everyone mates pile in, the numbers game comes into play and it's all a lot harder to deal with. The loser will normally want the cops, whether they started it or not…. Or my favourite one I have heard while putting a boy out who punched some randomer for nothing was "I'll have my father down here tomorrow, he'll sue you for assault".

Now then, when a mass brawl kicks off down in country pubs or clubs….. That’s ****ing hell. I will happily say that country drunks are much harder to deal with than Dublin guys, but they deal with it better. When it's over , it's over.

That’s what Mairt was saying. Obviously there are instances in both "regions" of each activity, but by and large, that’s what I have witnessed.

Exactly what im thinking... ...

And they've thicker skin's too.

Mairt wrote:
    And they've thicker skin's too.

It's cuz we eat the skin of the spuds.

Peelin' veg eh? ****ing pussies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Mairt wrote:
    About 12-13 yrs ago I was offered work in Leixlip. "Ah" I thought, "that has to be a handy one"... I think we fought every weekend.
    That's a lie. Leixlip is a nice place and we don't want no trouble :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mairt wrote:
    About 12-13 yrs ago I was offered work in Leixlip. "Ah" I thought, "that has to be a handy one"... I think we fought every weekend. It was in the days when doorstaff wore white shirts and dickiebow's. Well thank god Penny's were selling white shirts for £3 at the time!.
    Aye. Used to be a fight every night, outside Sam's Takeaway. The fights have lessened due to 2 reasons: we got a cop-shop nearby (as opposed to one 20 minutes down the road), and also a few riot vans. That, and instead of having two clubs, there's no only one (the Hitcher got pulled down). Thus, the police aren't as thinly scattered.
    Mairt wrote:
    The difference between a scrap on the door in Dublin and the bog is, the Dub 'hardman' will take a clatter, whip out the mobile phone and ring
    ... his 20 scumbag mates.

=-=

There's a nightclub nearby, somewhere just outside Celbridge, called the Setanta. There's always fights outside it. My point: there are some clubs which attract the scum, in large numbers. Same in Dublin. Some clubs will have a high scum ratio, and when it closes, they'll fight.

As for someones reference about coke: if you think you're the man, that you could easily beat the crap out of the 3 polish lads, you'll do it. The difference between coke and drink, is that usually with drink, you'll be slower to move, and punch. With coke, you'll have a bit of an edge on the drunk.

=-=

As someone has said, the culchies will fight with each other. The scum in Dublin will take a punch, run away, and come back with 20 of their scumbag mates.

Jeeze Syco, 'Sams' brings back memories. I used to work there too. Infact I see your listed as Swords too, the lad I worked on Sams with is working in Swords now. I worked in Swords too infact. Another rough enough spot.

But by far the worse for fighting in my experience was Leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

About 45 minutes ago, me and my friend, Carl, were on our way home from a friends house and when we turned a corner we were shouted at by a group of scum, they ran up beside us and started hasseling us... half way down the road they lost interest and crossed the road looking for someone else to pick a fight with... it sure is gettin more risky going anywhere...

Advertisement