Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Activation time expired, what to do now?

• 05-03-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I recently got a laptop fixed, it required reinstallation of windows, the person whon fixed the laptop installed windows for me.
    I couldn't activate it because I hadn't an internet connection. The 30 day time has now expired...
    I cannot even login now!! how can I get around this?
    I still have the windows installation dvd, should I reinstall or repair?
    Is there any way to get in and then try to activate?
    Do I need some license number to activate? I don't have one!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

http://tomorrowtimes.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-login-to-expired-windows.html

remember Google is your friend :)

Oh and sending you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

nice one, maybe.... as I've said I have no internet access... well sort of, it takes a bit of fiddling with the services to get it to connect (the Zero Configuration service).
    Can I do this through the browser and if I do eventually get access to the web can I activate without a licence key??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

You can always activate windows over the phone just chose the phone option when your going to activate it.You may not need the license key but if it doesn't work first time with the automated operator you'll be put through to a microsoft employee who may ask you for the license key.
    If xp came with the laptop the key should be on it somewhere probably under the laptop.

So the XP license is based on the laptop and not the installation dvd!! the version of XP I installed is from different source than was installed with the laptop originally, does this make a difference?

No as long as you have the license key on the laptop you should be able to activate windows no problem.If you have to talk to one of the guys at microsoft you can just tell them you done a repair and they'll ask you how many laptops is this software installed on blah blah..then they will give you an installation ID and thats it..takes about 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll have a look this evening and give them a call.
    So why is the activation required, surely anyone who is using an xp installer has already had xp on the machine and something has gone wrong which has forced them to install again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

So the XP license is based on the laptop and not the installation dvd!! the version of XP I installed is from different source than was installed with the laptop originally, does this make a difference?
    It only makes a difference if the version of XP you installed is different than the version that came with the laptop. ie. If the laptop came with XP home and you now have XP Professional on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

kaizersoze wrote:
    It only makes a difference if the version of XP you installed is different than the version that came with the laptop. ie. If the laptop came with XP home and you now have XP Professional on it.

Not only this. Also important is whether or not they're OEM or full retail licences.

For example you can't install by using a full retail disk and typing in an OEM key from the side of the PC/laptop.

Duckjob wrote:
    For example you can't install by using a full retail disk and typing in an OEM key from the side of the PC/laptop.

You can't? Well i've done it numerous times ..but it normally won't activate and you have to activate it over the phone by talking to one of the microsoft folk in India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

goodness gracious me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Auvers wrote:
    http://tomorrowtimes.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-login-to-expired-windows.html

remember Google is your friend :)

Oh and sending you a PM

Genius I say, genius. Having same problem as OP :(

Advertisement