Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Sprung?

• 05-03-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

While Snowdrops and some Daffodils have been flowering a while now in our gardens, Nature seems to have been slow waking to Spring this year. On Saturday (3rd March), however, there were Primroses in the hedgerows, Nettles were sprouting above ground, the bird song was fantastic, and I saw my first Bumblebees of the year. We're in the North East so I suppose these sights were available further South earlier.

Any other signs of Spring out there?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Apart from all the daffodils and crocusses hereabouts, I saw a couple of big fat bumblebees awakening from their hibernation in our garden over two weeks ago! I also saw my first batch of frogspawn out in the Wicklow Mountains at the weekend.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

yep I also saw buckets of frogspawn in a small pool last week, and a good few phesants around...gorgeous birds

daffodils only coming out here now (west) and first tulips (variety little red riding hood). The crocus' will be soon coming to an end.

I love spring..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

The frogs are gas, I rescued a pair in coital bliss from certain death by squashing last week... were they bovvered by my moving them??? Normally so shy, they get so noisy and stupid when mating.
    The last house I lived in they kept us awake for a full week in early March and great care had to be taken while walking to the car..
    I love spring in the country :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

FWIW - Crocuses, snowdrops, primroses & bumble-bees all out & about in North County Dublin in second week of February.

Obviously mating season for crows in these parts over past two weeks as they are only flying in pairs & not in a murder (flock) as usual.

I saw the crows nest building yesterday (Sunday) for the first time....

They'll be mad busy from now on.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Egrets were up to no good earlier. I was out walking the backstrand near Tramore for about three and a half hours today and Spring was definitely in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

artieanna wrote:
    I saw the crows nest building yesterday (Sunday) for the first time....
    Ah yes .. I saw a crow yesterday with a twig in it's beak, well almost a branch actually!, that was so big it could hardly fly! Very comical to watch :)

Loads and loads of frogspawn around these parts too, although most of it seems to be being laid in shallow puddles that'll be gone in a flash as soon as there's any sun .. stoopid beasts :(

Alun wrote:
    Loads and loads of frogspawn around these parts too, although most of it seems to be being laid in shallow puddles that'll be gone in a flash as soon as there's any sun .. stoopid beasts :(

Ya that always bugs me, why do frogs spawn in such shallow pools:confused: . I put a dam in the one I came across to stop the water running and drying up, so the frogs spawn will have a chance to develop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Did my good deed for the day and carried two handfuls of tadpoles from a muddy puddle that was about to dry up and plonked them in a marsh up the comeraghs today. Tickled a lot I can tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Alun wrote:
    Ah yes .. I saw a crow yesterday with a twig in it's beak, well almost a branch actually!, that was so big it could hardly fly! Very comical to watch :)

My grandad used to say that they lay their eggs in shallow ponds cos they think there is going to be heavy rain in the near future.So the heavy rains keep the ponds topped up for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    Did my good deed for the day and carried two handfuls of tadpoles from a muddy puddle that was about to dry up and plonked them in a marsh up the comeraghs today. Tickled a lot I can tell you!

Well done Rowen...

ciaran76 I dunno though about them knowing about heavy rain coming, as I came across spawn laid on a laneway (no water at all) had to drop it into a nearby pool of boggy water at the begining of march .....

Saw the first bats flying out and about this evening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's well and truely here now. The Hawthorn leaves have sprouted, buds on most other tress are well swollen. The Snipe are drumming - BUT I haven't seen a Swallow yet. Last year I had my first on 2nd April. Anybody see Swallows yet??

nope no swallows here...

have seen bats, peacock butterflies, bees & wasps in the las week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

artieanna wrote:
    nope no swallows here...

have seen bats, peacock butterflies, bees & wasps in the las week....
    Still no swallows here but hopefully the SE winds due this week may bring them to us. I read a report that Swallows were seen in the South at the end of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Haven't seen a swallow yet but had a report of one last sunday in Ardee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Spotted my first swallow of the year at Maynooth (M4 interchange) 8:20 AM this morning. Chiffchaffs singing in the area since last week too. Here's to a good one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saw 1 Swallow on Monday in Clonsilla flying near my parents house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

The first blossoms on our apple tree are just about to open, and the sweet cherry tree is in full bloom. If we can judge by the sheer amount of flowers on display, it's going to be a bumper year for sloes and blueberries at least. Good news for birds and wild mammals. Good news too for us: the old gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes in the back garden have lots of flowers.

Advertisement