Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an Avro Part album!

• 05-03-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I've heard snippets of this guy on last.fm and around the place. Pretty cool stuff. Anyone know anything about his work and if so what I should buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Tabula Rasa - on ECM 1984 ( with Keith Jarrett & Gidon Kremer )

Great disk and playing by the above , all with that famous ECM records sound.

Alina - also on ECM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

^+1 for Tabula Rasa. Haven't heard the other one but I'm sure I'll get around to checking it out. I really like the choral works, Triodion/Ode VII (Memento)/I Am The True Vine/Dopo La Vittoria, on Naxos too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I got into phase of collecting this type of minimal spiritual classical music a few years ago when I found a secondhand collection of ECM records that was sold to chapters on abbey street (When they had a good Music section). Someone who must have been on the ECM Mailing list had sold around 100 CD's, god did I spend that week. But it supplied me with some fab music.

The ECM New Series, has some great recordings of modern classical and folk.

On the lines of Arvo Part check out some of the following:

Officium - Jan Garbarek & Hilliard Ensemble

Caris Mere & Abii Ne Viderem
    by Giya Kancheli

Symphony No.3 - Henryk Górecki

The Protecting Veil - John Tavener

The list can go on...but by the way for a modern edge check out a Mexican electronic music guy Murcof. Composers like Arvo Part and Giya Kancheli apparently have had a great influence on him, and are even sampled by him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Excellent, I'll get Tabula Rasa and we'll go from there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

His series of pieces entitled "Fratres" are also excellent. You might recognise them from film soundtracks. Arvo Part seems to be the arthouse Philip Glass.

The recording I have is on a cheapo Naxos CD that also includes "Festina Lente", "Summa" and "Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten" (which was used to great effect in the Mexican film "Japon").

All in all, it's a lorra cultcha for under a tenna.

• Advertisement

That Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Ensemble album is incredible, really beautiful music. My uncle had been raving about it (and the second one, Mnemosyne) and kept playing it for me, I had to buy my own copy. Saw them in the NCH there last year, wow. I was knackered by the time I got there and dozed during their performance, not in a "this is really boring way" but it was so relaxing and so calming to drift in and out of sleep as the five of them walked around the hall doing their thing.

D'oh! I bought the CD today and just realised its Arvo and not Avro. Really liking this stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've one called 'Fratres, etc..' played by the Bournemouth Sinfonietta.
    My Dad gave it to me for Christmas, it's very interesting music.

Haven't listened to it enough really though to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eamonnquinn

Arvo Pärt is the focus of the RTE Living Music Festival in Feb next year. So he should be here. Also, www.louthcms.org who have been responsible for Terry Riley's visit in May, have secured an Irish commission from Mr.Pärt. This was mentioned in the Irish Times a few weeks ago.They are bringing the State Choir Latvia over for the performances. So he may be here for that as well.

My own favourite Pärt CDs are Arbos and Kanon Pokanjen. By the way, the choir he works with, the EPCC, will be in Ireland in September. I think they have a website epccireland or something like that.

Wow, that's really exciting Eamonn, thanks for sharing. I'll be keeping my eyes/ears open about this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kilimangaro

I've just aquired Avro Pärt - Stabat Mater by the "Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal". The 3rd piece named "Frates" is superb ! The contrast of modern sacred music, played "a la baroque" is formidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 samadhya

Hi hi,

I was lucky enough to work on the Living Music Festival this year and met Part himself who was an absolute gentleman. It was an incedible festival and every single concert was sold out!

I worked as venue manager in Christchurch and was blown away by the Passio (1982) sung with the Hilliards and Dublin Chamber Choir. I would absolutely recommend both the Passio and the Sunday evening programme for listening:

Collage uber B-A-C-H(1964)
    Passacaglia(2003 rev. 2007)
    Tabula Rasa(1977)
    Wenn Bach Bienen gezuchtet hatte(1976 rev.2001)
    Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten(1977-80)

All of these works are beautiful Part. Happy listening!

a

samadhya wrote: »
    Hi hi,

I was lucky enough to work on the Living Music Festival this year and met Part himself who was an absolute gentleman. It was an incedible festival and every single concert was sold out!

I worked as venue manager in Christchurch and was blown away by the Passio (1982) sung with the Hilliards and Dublin Chamber Choir. I would absolutely recommend both the Passio and the Sunday evening programme for listening:

Collage uber B-A-C-H(1964)
    Passacaglia(2003 rev. 2007)
    Tabula Rasa(1977)
    Wenn Bach Bienen gezuchtet hatte(1976 rev.2001)
    Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten(1977-80)

All of these works are beautiful Part. Happy listening!

a

Many thanks for the recommendations, I've heard some of those pieces and would like to check out the others.

Any hot tips for next year's Living Music billing? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 samadhya

The festival is in talks at the moment so I reckon keep an eye on the RTÉ site. Will post more when I know more!

If you're into contemporary I'm working on a gig taking place in Vicar St on Tuesday next (10th). It's a Crash Ensemble gig as a part of the international Rostrum of composers and there are some really great works being performed. My favourite is a Donnacha Dennehy piece called Grá agus Bás and will be performed with Iarla Ó Lionard on vocals. Nice! Check it out

a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Just got Te Deum out of my local library this weekend (I was very pleasantly surprised) will be giving it a listen over the next few days, I'm not very familiar with his work but I like what I've heard so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

'Sanctuary' is a nicely illustrative collection
    of his (shorter) pieces, I think. There are a few
    good representations on youtube also:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QtFPdBUl7XQ

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 choral

Some of Arvo's music with John Tavener's will be performed at the Tavener fest in Drogheda at the end of Oct 08

Cool, do you have any links with more info, ticket prices, etc.?

John
    I posted some information in the classical upcoming events section.

I can do the same here but not sure if I am allowed to.
    If I am let me know and I will do the same. The Sunday night gig will be awesome with music from Arvo Part, John Tavener, Alexander Knaifel( records for ECM) and Valentin Silvestrov ( again records mostly for ECM like Arvo)

choral wrote: »
    John
    I posted some information in the classical upcoming events section.

I can do the same here but not sure if I am allowed to.

That would be no problem, but thanks for asking first. Might be best to make a post in the upcoming gigs thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005189

• Advertisement

I'll post the information on the upcoming events pages

Just thought I would mention some things:
    Arvo Part's conductor of choice, fellow estonian Tonu Kaljuste is conducting the Ulster Orchestra on Friday 24 Oct. Plus he is also taking a workshop on the 25 OCt.

Also, in terms of experimental, Arvo Part and even John Tavener at the start of their careers quite experimental( listen to Tavener's the Whale which was on the Beatles Apple Label) but two composers whose works will be featured at the festival are Alexander Knaifel and Valentin Silvestrov. Both are amazing. Knaifel's works are gaining fame thanks to the efforts of ECM, who also record Arvo Part. But if you are looking for experimental check out his Agnes Dei. At least 2 hours of electronics( and this is after, he gave up being experimental!). There is a review here
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/oct04/knaifel.htm

His new ECM cd the beatitudes, which i think is released tomorrow, has an early 1967 work Lamento for solo cello.
    Silvestrov is Arvo Part's favourite composer which is saying something. Silvestrov's work is awesome. His requiem for Larissa is great as is his Silent Songs.

Also, the cellist who is performing in Drogheda is amazing: Marta Sudraba. She has a clip, I think on You Tube performing Peteris Vasks the Book,
    http://www.themusicpage.com/showVideos.php?v=700

Nice one Choral, thanks a million. Hopefully I can get up to one or more of these.

Marta Sudraba is performing in the middle of the audience, you know spatially on Sat night in Dundalk. But I think Sunday's anonymous 4 gig on 26 Oct has the potential to be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ahmet

Yeah the anonymous 4 gig looks good. Its amazing that Kaljuste is coming over. His recordings of the Part stuff are face melting.
    re: Part ye should check out the Magnificat Antiphons and the Beatitudes.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

You should check out this DVD, it's a great insight into his life and his approach to his music: http://www.amazon.com/Arvo-Part-24-Preludes-Fugue/dp/B000AMMSPS

I saw his Baltic Voices World Premiere in St. Patricks Cathedral, Dundalk (which he attended himself) it was amazing!!

Just a reminder that the John Tavener festival is next weekend.

Festival highlights:
    The Ulster Orchestra with Ioana Petcu Colan (Violin), Doreen Curran (Mezzo) and Marta Sudraba (Cello) Tõnu Kaljuste Conductor
    Friday 24 October 2008 at 8 pm at St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda.
    John Tavener: The Protecting Veil (1988)

Polyphony with Marta Sudraba (cello) Stephen Layton Conductor
    Patricia Rozario and the Oriel Trio
    Saturday 25 Oct 2008 at 8 pm at St.Patrick’s Cathedral, Dundalk

John Tavener :O My People. (world premiere) (2008)
    John Tavener :Chant (1995) (solo cello)
    John Tavener :Mother of God here I stand (from Veil of the Temple) (2004)
    John Tavener: Awed by the beauty (from Veil of the Temple)
    John Tavener :Syvati (1995)( cello and chorus)
    John Tavener: Funeral Ikos (1981)

Anonymous 4 and Rothko 4
    Sunday 26 October at 8pm at St.Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda

John Tavener :As one who has slept (1996)
    Valentin Silvestrov: Ikon
    Prose: Prophetarum presignata [Dublin Troper]

John Tavener: Come and do Your will in me 
(1997)
    Arvo Part : Fratres 

Prose: Salve mater misericordie [Dublin Troper] 

Song: Hail Mary full of grace
    John Tavener : Ikon of Joy/Sorrow (1999)
    Alexander Knaifel : An Autumn Evening
    John Tavener : The Bridegroom 
(1999)
    Prose: Miserere miseris [Dublin Troper]

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm a bit late getting around to Arvo Part but very pleased that I have finally. I bought 'Alina' today in Tower and what an amazing album. From what I have listened to on youtube he seems to vary in terms of more relaxed as per Alina to a lot more energetic... any further recommendations more like Alina?

Advertisement