Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it a deal?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Due to seperation will have to trade in my 02 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.L TD for a
    02 Skoda Octavia Hatchback 1.4 Petrol. Dealer is offering to clear my loan of 8000 by giving 6000 with Skoda for my Jeep. What do ye think, is it a good offer? His Skoda was originally selling for 7500 and my jeep was 16000 last September.

Secondly, am I mad to go back to petrol, not that theres any difference in price of fuels, but because I do around 18000 miles a year. Not sure petrol model would be wise. However I cant afford a different Diesel car to be honest..........

:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

has he not got a Skoda diesel to offer? That'd be better........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it's a pretty fair deal.
    Sure, you could probably do a thousand or so better, selling your Vitara privately and paying in cash for the Skoda ...but then again you mightn't and timing would also be difficult.

The 1.4 Octavia shouldn't use much more fuel than the Vitara ...even if it does, you will have a few hundred per year in reserve due to the cheaper tax and possibly cheaper insurance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    I think it's a pretty fair deal

So do I. Dealers are usually very reluctant to do a deal that provides negative cash flow to them. He might have a buyer for the Suzuki ligned up!

If you're willing to go through the extra time / trouble, you'd probably get a better deal selling the Suzuki privately

Your mileage is high enough to consider diesel. You might get a similar deal on a one year older Octavia 1.9 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

peasant wrote:
    I think it's a pretty fair deal.
    Sure, you could probably do a thousand or so better, selling your Vitara privately and paying in cash for the Skoda ...but then again you mightn't and timing would also be difficult.

The 1.4 Octavia shouldn't use much more fuel than the Vitara ...even if it does, you will have a few hundred per year in reserve due to the cheaper tax and possibly cheaper insurance as well.

I thought so too, even though its not completely clearing my loan, I cant complain. I hope ur right about the Octavia not using much more in petrol than the Virara, and your point is brilliant that i would save anyway with regards to cheaper tax. Just checked it out: 82 versus 152 euros per quarter or 292 v 539 per year. Jesus, i think i will go and take up that deal!!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mumof2 wrote:
    I thought so too, even though its not completely clearing my loan, I cant complain. I hope ur right about the Octavia not using much more in petrol than the Virara, and your point is brilliant that i would save anyway with regards to cheaper tax. Just checked it out: 82 versus 152 euros per quarter or 292 v 539 per year. Jesus, i think i will go and take up that deal!!!:D :D

Insurance on a 1.4 litre Octavia should also be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon it's a fair deal. The Skoda should be cheaper to run with routine servicing and parts, tyres etc. bound to be cheaper. bear in mind that the garage should have brought the Skoda to a standard that you shouldn't have to spend anything on it for a few months and it sounds like a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Definitely a good move as previous poster said you'll well make up for the diesel/petrol difference in Tax and Insurance - plus you get a monster boot!

....but not so monster rear seat room

colm_mcm wrote:

I guess we cant have it all ways!!!:D

Thanks for your posts, am going to check with a final dealer tomorrow to see if there is room for improvement in the deal compared to the other one, (play them off against eachother), so will know by tomoro evening which deal i will take.

And also just realised, I might just get a rebate in Insurance!! Not much but everything counts these days!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

colm_mcm wrote:

plenty of rear seat room in mine - I suppose that's why so many taxi drivers use them

They're small enough in the back. As is the Leon/Toledo and Polo Saloon, and Cordoba. All of which have huge boots but small rear leg room.

colm_mcm wrote:
    They're small enough in the back. As is the Leon/Toledo and Polo Saloon, and Cordoba. All of which have huge boots but small rear leg room.

I know kids grow into teenagers, but it should be fine for a 5 and 7 year old for a while then - legroom wise!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

eamon234 wrote:
    plenty of rear seat room in mine - I suppose that's why so many taxi drivers use them

Yes, from the newer model from 2004 onwards.

colm_mcm wrote:
    The main reason why I had to change from the Leon - the rear leg room was non existant.

eamon234 wrote:

taxi drivers sit in the front ;) and they buy them because they're cheap, relatively powerful and readily available

Advertisement