Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many songs have you written?

• 05-03-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

It's a hard one to answer. I personally used to write far more when I started but most of it was what I'd regard as panning through a whole lot of dirt without really being too aware of what the little nuggets of gold look like. Now I can spot them easier. I reckon I have completed 150-200 songs, possibly, infact probably more, and I have started well over 1000. What about you?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I would guess I have started around 200 to 300.. finished lyrically about 70-100... and finished musicaly about 30-35.

It is a pity that live is not an electronic medium which we could flick back through easily when we please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I would guesstimate around 50+ at this point. Most id rather forget about at this point (I cringe thinking about them) but I feel I'm starting to find myself as a songwriter. Im currently trying to put together an instrumental album, something along the lines of Steve Vai/Joe Satriani which seems to be coming together well (I hope). Have around 4 few songs in the works for it and im after completing another Photographic Phantasmagoria. The song is very different to what I normally write as its very rare for me to switch off the dirty channel on my amp but this just came out very quickly and I kinda like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I quite like that I must say, nice feel throughout. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think I've written and have a collection of over 400 songs but only 9 of them have ever reached the actual music "stage" of the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

couldn't tell you, honestly. i could probably release a good few solid albums' worth of material... the only problem there is that i've never really stuck to a genre.

i have books and books of music notes and scribbles though. probably hundreds of songs in there just waiting to bust out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I've only ever finished 1 song, which noone really gets. Its the only song i've told a solid story in, got a nice riff to work around, given a bridge that rocks into another rocking chorus and isnt based around a blues progression, but gives out a blues vibe and is ripe for alot of stuff. Im really happy with it, but its not everyones cup of tea!

I've written about 300 intro/verse and stable riffs, which i feel have great potential, but i always get stuck finding a new way to approach the song, or i find it impossible to find a new angle on how to get around what im playing..

Im terrible at writing songs, but ill always keep doing it.. Give me a rythem, and some words and a basic chord sequence and ill give a great bassline/guitar riff to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Haven't written a huge many, but I write a lot of weird progressive riffs and bits. Hopefully a time will come to throw them all together. Just a while ago, I came up with a riff that sounds like Cynic meets Enslaved when I added guitar to the bass.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I've been working on 4 songs for abut 15 years now.

I get a couple of verses that are half-decent, then... nothing. After 5 years I get a brillant idea in the middle of the night, and I write an extra line. Then 5 years without anything.

Give it another 12-13 years and I'll have a first draft. in 21-23 years I should have a song.

:(

Edit: ... Hope it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think I've written anywhere between 300 - 500. Hard to keep track. I went through a phase in 2000 where I wrote about 200 songs. Most were simple, ****e and a bit folky. Nowadays I put a bit more craft into my songs, only actually counting something as a song if I like it. There's only about 20 songs I play live though, so some just happened, were recorded and now lie forgotten.

Advertisement