Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roaming - not being charged for calls?!

• 05-03-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I have a pay as you go and am away in America at the moment. I get charged for the texts I send but strangely none of the calls I make. I have around E20 on the phone and it's still there, despite me calling home and Australia while I've been away! My sister said the same thing happened to her when she was in NYC for Xmas and she was never charged.

Should I be concerned the phone company will eventually notice and hit me with a bill? Anyone know what's going on....or had it happen to them too? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Who are you with? Sometimes it takes a couple of days for the roaming operator to pass info on to your network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Vodafone....it's been a couple of months now and not a cent has come off of my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Funny enough I have a friend on Meteor and she swears she hasn't topped up since about November. She used the phone while away at Xmas and made a few long distance calls over the holidays too, yet her balance is still the same. She's on the Meteor network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sometimes it can take more than a month for the internationl roaming calls to rate on your account.
    Other times the call details willl literally get lost in translation, so you might indeed get away with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just be aware if you are charged and have run up some huge charges, and refuse to pay them, vodafone may try to make your life akward!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sometimes it can take more than a month for the internationl roaming calls to rate on your account.
    Other times the call details willl literally get lost in translation, so you might indeed get away with it.
    You'll proberly notice your credit balance go into minus one of these days. You'll rarely get away with it!

If it pay as you go.It can't go below zero euro."When you go to top up will the woman on on the o2 service say"Your old balance was -127.54.Your new balance is -117.542"!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That happened me before on a month long trip to France. O2 had just introduced text bundles and i think it messed there roaming thing up because I only started getting charged the night before I returned to Ireland and even then it was only for texts i sent that evening.

Then again O2 have been rather good to me - I returned a faulty phone and got a refund but the free credit kept coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If it pay as you go.It can't go below zero euro."When you go to top up will the woman on on the o2 service say"Your old balance was -127.54.Your new balance is -117.542"!lol
    I've seen it go minus on Meteor before, trust me - it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

ciaranfo wrote:
    I've seen it go minus on Meteor before, trust me - it's possible.

And on Vodafone too. Got caught out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Just a wee update....whether I get charged or not seems to depend what state I'm in! Paid the standard roam cost in California there over my hols, now I'm back in the South it's free again.

Bizarre glitch. I hope it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It can go below 0. The operator on the automated service may say your balance is 0.00 but on the companies systems or the IN you can most certainly go into a negative balance. This will eventually go back to 0 once you have topped up with a sufficient amount.

With regards to the roaming charges. The host network in America would have monitored your usage and then sent it back to your network operator. This could take a while to appear on your bill but two months seems a bit extreme. It looks like you have probably got away with it due to a technical error on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It can go into minus, I remember years ago when there were free text center numbers floating around but one of them ended up not being free at all and it took 2 top ups of 20 pounds to get a balance of 4 punts!

Not familiar with roaming charges but what is the situation where the person you call pays for the call if you ring them abroad on a mobile.
    Is it your mobile to a landline or to another mobile?
    I know I got charged once for accepting a call off a friend who was in france at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

ah vodafone back in the day when texts were just been introduced and where free, they gave me £20 credit at the time everyday for free for nearly 2 weeks, was brilliant and i made sure to use it daily so as not to get stung for it... never did. back then calls were dear wasn't hard to use £20 up on a few calls

Advertisement