Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greystones new quarter.

Options
  • 05-03-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭

has this been posted yet?
    http://www.greystonesnewquarter.ie/

its the website for the Charlesland Golf Club redevelopment that was being touted to councillors a few months back - all largely aspirational stuff at the moment. It looks like a sort of Charlesland mk 2 - though any proposal to build a harbour will undoubtedly generate a lot of comment (privatising the coastline etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

....wow!!......ambitious looks like another new marina!!!
    gal_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wow. They'll have to change the names of the apartments to "Developmentbourne View" and "The Flatways".

Is that more foreshore being given up and how will that affect the railway.

That's Charlesland GC, btw, not Greystones GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

well that picture isn't even an artist's impression - its a suggestion of how it might look, they have no definite plan as yet. Hard to see how they could build a marina there with the railway line where it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

They have a bridge system planned for the marina.

The development will look like that. They have actually taken the design to quite an advanced level. The idea is to emulate Celtic circular motifs and medieval "beehive" dwellings.

Also they are quite confident that they will be allowed build this so prepare to say good bye to the golf club. (And sea views for anyone in the apartments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Thankfully I didn't pay the extra for a sea view. I'd be raging if I did. Envisaged something like that happening, and sure they get no sun on that side!

• Advertisement

Fiachra2 wrote:
    ...so prepare to say good bye to the golf club.

who cares? - its only a golf club and they're going to rebuild it further down the coast anyway (with apparently much better membership conditions for the existing members)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

They'll have to change the names of the apartments to "Developmentbourne View" and "The Flatways".

There is room for one fairway there! :D
    Hard to see how they could build a marina there with the railway line where it is though

I think the railway is being routed inland away from the sea.

They don't plan on even beginning the construction of the development until 2011. Even if everything ran smoothly through rezoning and planning stages, that is still an ambitous start date.

It does look like an extraordinary development though. Especially with the new and innovative waste and energy mangement techniques they mention (without going into detail :) ).

I don't think residents in the Fairways/Seabourne have anything to fear yet. Although, it is worth while to remain informed about what in a very early consultation process.

I think the railway is being routed inland away from the sea.

that will definitely not happen - moving the railway would be massively expensive and time consuming and the developers would have to bear the cost.

that will definitely not happen - moving the railway would be massively expensive and time consuming and the developers would have to bear the cost.

Maybe you are right. But that is just what I heard. Maybe because the cost of protecting that particular stretch of the line from erosion over over the coming years will be so high, rerouting the track is a less costly option for the rail company.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

The architect that designed that has worked on a number of famous buildings including 'the gherkin' in London. I'd say they spent a few quid on the designs!!!
    Anyway, theres nothing to worry about, by the time they get started climate change will have caused sea levels to rise and that will all be underwater!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

loyatemu wrote:
    who cares? - its only a golf club and they're going to rebuild it further down the coast anyway (with apparently much better membership conditions for the existing members)

And further down the coast again.....and...

The developers' artists impressions look fine with huge areas of green etc. but then the developers' artists impressions of Greystones Marina sent to the national media make it look like we're getting a lovely green square and there are only 12 apartments shown out of 341!

Hard to see the "Quarter" not going ahead given how easy it is for developers to have their way around here, just hope that the powers that be ensure that the developers are held to a standard somewhat close to that applied for.

I don't think many would have a problem with the marina part of the quarter, as it's not in an architectural conservation area like Greystones Harbour?

Apparently Seabourne View and Fairways were all formerly "Seaview" and had to change beacause the sea view wasn't going to be around for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

loyatemu wrote:

For a village or town to have character it must, in my view, have variety. IE shops, schools, golf clubs, rugby clubs etc. I think it is very bad planning to keep pushing these amnenities out to the periphery to make way for more housing in the centre. Greystones golf club provides a "space" in the built up area of Greystones. Even though it is private it breaks up the monotony of housing estates and Charlesland GC provides an element of the same in the expanding south of the town. If they want to build something like this it should not, in my opinion be on the GC land.

I have to agree with you there Fiachra. Having planty of prominant open green spaces like the golf courses does give the town beauty and character. Since this is in such an early stage, whatever actually goes ahead may also have much in terms of green areas.

Personally, the more I look at the design, the less I like it. From the air, it looks like Greystones has ring worm or something! :) Not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Under the National Spatial Strategy and the Regional Planning Guidelines, Greystones is designated as a Large Urban Growth Town II which requires further significant increases in the housing stock, population and infrastructure in the town. The population of Greystones is predicted to grow to 25,000 by 2016 and is currently estimated to be approximately

Above is a quote from the website, huge development is on the way whether people like it or not, and not just from these guys. Personally I think a lot more thought has gone into the aesthetics of this development than Charlesland which is boxy and tightly packed (not knocking Charlesland, I live here).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I have to say...the artist impressions do make the whole complex look amazing but I have to agree with Fiachra. I was visiting my friend who lives in swords around 10 years ago and as we drove up the road to her house there were all these roundabouts at fields with the odd housing estate which looked fine at the time. Now it is a mess.. its roundabout after roundabout with housing estate after housing estate with no green areas in between. Its dull dreary and depressing.Now before someone jumps down my throat I am not against housing being built people have to live somewhere but surely some thought and creativity can make developments and small towns look more asthetically pleasing to the eye it doesnt take brain surgery to fugure out the way the outskirts of Greystones is becoming is going to look like an ugly zone of housing estates in a few years to come. If the developer of this new quater can keep to what looks to be a very creative and well thought out plan by Foster the architects then it would be something different to the area but I would hate to see The village of Greystones suffer business wise and socially due to a huge development like this taking over the south part of Greystones. Ah the dilema of old and new.

green areas are fine, but golf clubs are not the same thing. Charlesland GC is already on the periphery of the town, I've no problem with it being built on provided its a decent quality development with provision for public facilities and open space.

As for Greystones GC - I'd say its only a matter of time before some developer makes them a lucrative land swap offer as has happened in Bray and Dun Laoghaire. I'd have no issue with the flat part of Greystones GC being developed if the bit on the hill was turned into a public park. Any developers reading this - you can have that idea for free!

Advertisement