Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Park v Court

Options
  • 05-03-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm looking at buying a house in Charlesland and am looking at 2 properties; 1 each in Charlesland Park and Court.

I have a reservation with the walls in the house in Charlesland Park (they appear to be a lot more solid in the house in the Court) and I was wondering if anyone living in the Park can tell whether this has led to poor noise insulation between the houses.

Cheers,

ETJC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sound insulation in the Grove (same construction as the Park) is fine - much better than in the concrete-block place I used to live in. Rarely hear anything from next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The houses in the Park are timber framed with double plasterboard slabbing to each side and insulation in between for sound insulation. Impact sound can travel more with the timber frame structure. The aerborne sound doesn't go through the walls as easy. Meets building regs etc.

The houses in the Court are masonry (concrete block) construction, more solid type of construction. The walls between the houses here do what is required under building regs but the blockwork is not as dense as you would expect as they are quite lightweight.

So are concrete homes better built??? Pros and cons to both types of construction...your choice! You can't help the environment once it has been built!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

ETJC_DUB wrote:
    I'm looking at buying a house in Charlesland and am looking at 2 properties; 1 each in Charlesland Park and Court.

I have a reservation with the walls in the house in Charlesland Park (they appear to be a lot more solid in the house in the Court) and I was wondering if anyone living in the Park can tell whether this has led to poor noise insulation between the houses.

Cheers,

ETJC

We live in the park and both the heat and sound insulation are really good, I think timberframe houses are generally better in terms of heat insulation.
    The only niggle is hanging heavy objects on the wall which could be a bit tricky. But I think if I had a choice I would choose timber frame ones for reduced heating costs and good sound insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MuffinsDa wrote:
    We live in the park and both the heat and sound insulation are really good, I think timberframe houses are generally better in terms of heat insulation.
    The only niggle is hanging heavy objects on the wall which could be a bit tricky.

new-build concrete houses are all dry-lined anyway, so you have the same problems hanging things on the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

loyatemu wrote:
    new-build concrete houses are all dry-lined anyway, so you have the same problems hanging things on the walls.

Yes, they are dry lined on the external walls only but the party walls (between houses) are solid masonry with wet plaster finishes both sides - no thermal insulation but no problem for hanging heavy stuff off of it. However, if the house is empty next door, the heat will bridge through.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
Advertisement