Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to replace spuds with

• 05-03-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

hey,

I eat spuds with most of the dinners i have, be it steak, chicken or whatever i usually have them. Lately i feal bloated after eating them so would like to try something else. The healthier the option the better.
    Has anyone any healthy recipes i could add to my chicken or steak dinners?.
    I'm clueless about recipes but would like to learn more

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Spuds are usually your carbo option, so you could replace them with other carbs - rice, pasta, cous cous, or other vegetables like sweet potato, or squash. Or even cut the simple carbs down a little and replace spuds with an extra helping of veg. Instead of having steak, spuds and peas, have steak, peas, green beans and carrots.

As for what you could try - the list is pretty endless. To help people help you, can you give us a sample of what a normal meal would be for you and what flavours you like and don't like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Spuds are usually your carbo option, so you could replace them with other carbs - rice, pasta, cous cous, or other vegetables like sweet potato, or squash. Or even cut the simple carbs down a little and replace spuds with an extra helping of veg. Instead of having steak, spuds and peas, have steak, peas, green beans and carrots.

As for what you could try - the list is pretty endless. To help people help you, can you give us a sample of what a normal meal would be for you and what flavours you like and don't like?

well....
    it would normally be when i have steak or chicken, just spuds with gravy or soup. I'm not a big eater of veg but i that will have to change.
    I'm starting to try and lose a little weight aswell so a healthy alternative to spuds is what i'm looking for.
    I'm not fussy as regards flavours at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mashed turnip is savage, just add a bit of black pepper and some butter when you mash em.

when you go back on the spuds you could mix the spud and turnip half and half so it's not allll spuds and you get to enjoy the best vegetable evar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How long would turnip (swedes or the little white ones?) last? I really like it, but I don't want half of a turnip going to waste when I'm only cooking for one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

What about sweet potatoes?

You can roast em or mash em - I would sometimes use half and half
    for the top of a shepards pie or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Cauliflower mash is a great alternative to mash potatoes. Real easy too, just boil up some cauliflower florets for a good 20-25 mins, then drain off all the water completely (very important to texture to make sure water's all gone), then put em back in the saucepan, mash them up, add some grated parmesan (or that fake parmesan stuff), little butter, salt and pepper, another little mash, and youre done!!

I'm addicted to it at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sweet potatoes are supposed to be very healthy but have never eaten them myself. Do they taste like normal spuds?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nope - the nearest thing I can think they taste like is butternut squash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Tofu - everything can be replaced by tofu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Longfield wrote:
    Sweet potatoes are supposed to be very healthy but have never eaten them myself. Do they taste like normal spuds?

No, they're softer and sweeter. I'll take Majd's word for them tasting like butternut squash, because I've never tried that myself. They're tasty though. My flatmate used to make chilli sweet potato wedges, amongst other variations. You can also make sweet potato pie, which is not dissimilar to pumpkin pie.

Don't let their slightly ugly appearance put you off, either! They're also lower in calories than normal potatoes, by quite a large amount iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jobless wrote:
    well....
    it would normally be when i have steak or chicken, just spuds with gravy or soup. I'm not a big eater of veg but i that will have to change.
    I'm starting to try and lose a little weight aswell so a healthy alternative to spuds is what i'm looking for.
    I'm not fussy as regards flavours at all
    When I used to live at home (Parent's home) I never used to eat veg because of the way my Mum used to cook the veg. She'd just boil the hell out of them leaving a soggy tasteless goo on your plate. Not very appetising at all. But I've learned down through the years that you veg can be lovely to eat, just depends on how you prepare them.

One of my favourites is roasted Carrotts and Parsnips. Just chopped them into sticks, put on a baking tray, add salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and crushed corriander seeds and place in the oven until done. Absolutely Bootiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Cauliflower mash is a great alternative to mash potatoes. Real easy too, just boil up some cauliflower florets for a good 20-25 mins, then drain off all the water completely (very important to texture to make sure water's all gone), then put em back in the saucepan, mash them up, add some grated parmesan (or that fake parmesan stuff), little butter, salt and pepper, another little mash, and youre done!!

I'm addicted to it at the moment!

I also fine cauliflower a fabulous alternative to potatoes if trying to reduce your carb intake. Sweet potatoes too are a lot less "bloaty" than your average common gardener McSpud.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

BaZmO* wrote:
    When I used to live at home (Parent's home) I never used to eat veg because of the way my Mum used to cook the veg. She'd just boil the hell out of them leaving a soggy tasteless goo on your plate. Not very appetising at all. But I've learned down through the years that you veg can be lovely to eat, just depends on how you prepare them.

One of my favourites is roasted Carrotts and Parsnips. Just chopped them into sticks, put on a baking tray, add salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and crushed corriander seeds and place in the oven until done. Absolutely Bootiful!

Love the sound of the carrots!

The first part of the above sounds like my life story when i lived at home! I have realised that veg has a texture, and eat so much of it now :) When my mother comes to visit she thinks my veg is raw :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I recently did the same as you OP. And once I got into it I was amazed at easy it was to leave out the spuds or even the rice. Think of when you go to a good restaurant for steak, fish or chicken. There usually isn't a humungous lump of spuds there on the plate is there? That's what I aim for, and it's easy not to order the side of mash when your at home!

Sweet potatoes are a great one because they have a natural sweetness that makes them irresistable to most people. I gaurantee Irish people will be eating alot more of them in the future. Butternut squash too.

If you want to eat healthy veg I'd strongly advise you to invest in a steamer. I just bought one for €16 and the thing is a revelation. Easy, healthy and , eh, did I say easy!? And remember, the oven is you freind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Tree wrote:
    Mashed turnip is savage, just add a bit of black pepper and some butter when you mash em.

when you go back on the spuds you could mix the spud and turnip half and half so it's not allll spuds and you get to enjoy the best vegetable evar!

I agree... and try adding some chopped scallions and nutmeg to the mash... it's nice! And the scallions add a bit of colour to the mix.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Try spinach its awesome. Way i do it is drop of oil in wok chop garlic and shallots or both and fry a little. Add spinach and cook on low til it reduces to very tasty green goodness. I use this nowadays instead of spuds as they were bloating me 2.

Advertisement