Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election - Who will you vote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ulster9

But its not a war situation any more and its not the seventies either.

Political pointscoring - more convicting criminals for criminal acts.

Never said it was, the incident happened then and thats were it should be left not brought up 30 years later as a cheap shot.It happened in a conflict situation just like many deplorable things happened in the war of independence and civil war that could be categorised as criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ulster9 wrote:
    Never said it was, the incident happened then and thats were it should be left not brought up 30 years later as a cheap shot.It happened in a conflict situation just like many deplorable things happened in the war of independence and civil war that could be categorised as criminal.

Ok, there is a point to your argument. So should say the shoot to kill policy of the RUC in the eighties or say collusion between paramilitaries and Govt. authorities be ignored to as they happened in a conflict situation?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I m not saying Jean McConville murder should be ignored or any other issue were injustices have accured.My problem is were politicians drag up the case and use it as a means of criminalising a party.McDowell was trying to portray Sinn Fein as a criminal party like Thatcher did in the eighties.This is very irresponsible from him as he was insulting the majority of the Nationalist population in Northern Ireland and the many more people who vote Sinn Fein across Ireland.Who does he think he is?Support for the Pds hardly registers on the polls.
    Regarding collusion people have a right to know if the police were involved in the murder of their loved ones.All people are asking for is an acknowledgement that it happened in their case.It must be remembered that the PSNI may well have many officers in their ranks still who transgressed as RUC officers and if these collusion allegations cannot be faced up to then there will always be a confidence problem with the PSNI.
    I know this strays off topic but i think people who make cheap shots at Sinn Fein with regard certain IRA acts will have to realise that they open a can of worms.3600 people died during the course of the troubles and cherrypicking to score political points is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Strong economy my arse.
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    Inflation rate rises to 5.1%

The annual rate of inflation moved back up to 5.1% last month, according to figures from the Central Statistics Office.

The rate had fallen to 4.8% in February.

The latest Consumer Price Index shows inflation has averaged 5% throughout the past four months and it is the second time in three months that Ireland's inflation rate has risen above 5%.

Higher prices for petrol, diesel, air transport and house maintenance materials were behind the increase in March.

The figures also show that inflation in public utilities and service charges, the areas for which the Government is responsible, is running at 9.3%.

This is in sharp contrast to the rate of price increases for goods throughout the economy which measured at just 0.4%.

Average Irish mortgage repayments have risen by 47.5% in the past 12 months while rents are up by 9.9%, the data shows.

Economists fear that the rate of inflation could remain relatively high for some time as further interest rate increases and higher petrol prices feed into the index in the months ahead.

Sticking "below but close to 2%" lads?

It's the people who are keeping this economy running; not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

FF inherited a vibrant and strong economy from the Rainbow coalition. They have frittered away billions through inefficiency and backhanders for solicitors, judges, construction companies, Internationals etc. And the next government will inherit the tired celtic tiger. They will revive it by being decisive and intelligent. And the people will hate them for it, and re-elect the weasel party again, to spend it all on corruption, again.

Isn't this the way its always been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's the people who are keeping this economy running; not the government.

I agree with this

and this
    FF inherited a vibrant and strong economy from the Rainbow coalition. They have frittered away billions through inefficiency and backhanders for solicitors, judges, construction companies, Internationals etc. And the next government will inherit the tired celtic tiger. They will revive it by being decisive and intelligent. And the people will hate them for it, and re-elect the weasel party again, to spend it all on corruption, again.

Labour did alot during its term in Office. :)

I am still voting green.

I have taken a look at the Sinn Fein website and I note that they have alot of policies and ways to carry out their policies. I would have to read all of them and they have alot so I won't be doing it today.

Vote Green. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Some political broadcasts on youtube from Sinn Fein

http://youtube.com/user/sinnfeinireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Some political broadcasts on youtube from Sinn Fein

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3911500945

Not sure if you are taking the piss but that is a link to some bisexual guys bebo page as far as I can see.

Ulster9 wrote:
    Regarding collusion people have a right to know if the police were involved in the murder of their loved ones.All people are asking for is an acknowledgement that it happened in their case.It must be remembered that the PSNI may well have many officers in their ranks still who transgressed as RUC officers and if these collusion allegations cannot be faced up to then there will always be a confidence problem with the PSNI.
    I know this strays off topic but i think people who make cheap shots at Sinn Fein with regard certain IRA acts will have to realise that they open a can of worms.3600 people died during the course of the troubles and cherrypicking to score political points is shameful.

What about members of SF who may have been members of the IRA in the past and not convicted ? Should they all acknowledge their involvements?

I don't want to stray of topic but there does seem to be a degree of hypocrisy from SF when it comes to issues like collusion etc.

Have inquiries definitely into the RUC etc. but its easy to say that when there can't be inquiries into IRA activity.

I'm not defending NcDowell but he did have a point about IRA criminal activity in 2005. After he made his comments the Northern Bank raid happened and the Robert McCartney killing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Not sure if you are taking the piss but that is a link to some bisexual guys bebo page as far as I can see.

Wtf? No idea.

What I meant to post.. http://youtube.com/user/sinnfeinireland

• Advertisement

Got something to tell us, Poblachtacht? :D

Ibid wrote:
    Got something to tell us, Poblachtacht? :D

Yeh, thanks for last night.

Hehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I looked for all of about 5 seconds but that page has more than a few lies in it, which I will discuss the next time I get around to posting.But the fact that they are 'anti rascist'(their words not mine) is a load of bull when they say they want the 'end of British rule in Ireland(also incorrect as Ireland is 26 counties according to the constitution, though Dr Ian Paisley said recently said that 'it now claimed the souls of NI')(presumably they meant Northern Ireland which is a different durastiction at the very least and in officialdom a different country) a few lines above it.
    Anyway here are about 50 videos about the party that will be the driving force(hopefully:) ) of the next Government in Ireland(the piss take on Inda Kinny is actually quite funny too)
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fine+gael

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Voipjunkie wrote:

I think what he's getting at is that while people may find something about Sinn Fein attractive, they know in their heart of hearts that SF will just jump into bed with anyone after the election. Sinn Fein can try and be all things for all people, but may well just be confused as they come out of the paramilitary closet.

The real reference to this bebo page is that in the end, like this bisexual guy, Sinn Fein will end up screwing everyone.

I reject your analysis. I believe if Sinn Fein are the only ones doing anything around here, and that there are very good at it, then that reflects their ability in government to provide for the people. Also your theory referring to Sinn Fein as some sort of whore is as factual as a condom for a woman.

But the fact that they are 'anti rascist'(their words not mine) is a load of bull when they say they want the 'end of British rule in Ireland

What has wanting to end british rule in Ireland got to do with rasism? That's like suggesting that people who got their freedom from the British are rasist because they didn't like being rule by Britian.

I as far as I am aware both the SDLP and SF where trying to get rights for Catholics/Nationalist in the north, unlike their Unionist counterparts who implemented Gerrymandering, One House One Vote, The B Specials etc. etc.

I disagree with the ties that SF have to the IRA and the manner it which the IRA delt with these issues, but I can see why they felt the need to stand up for catholics in the north. (In particular after Bloody Sunday).

Again to state that I won't be voting for Sinn Fein.

Vote Green.

I think their are many people in the republic who think that Unionist did no wrong and that the catholics should have remained living in an unjustice and anti-democratic society.
    Sinn Fein attractive, they know in their heart of hearts that SF will just jump into bed with anyone after the election.

Can you honestly see SF going into collition with FG and the PDs? LOL even if FG and the PDs wanted SF, SF wouldn't. I can't see SF wanting to be in government with FG or the PDs at all.

Quote:
    But the fact that they are 'anti rascist'(their words not mine) is a load of bull when they say they want the 'end of British rule in Ireland
    Thats crazy that is.
    Since when does an ''An Ireland of Equals'' become racist? Jesus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

FG and Labour wouldnt touch the Shinners with a bargepole. Enda Kenny said that under no circumstances would he have anything to do with Sinn Fein if in government. RTE are supposed to be having some sort of 6 way debate with the leaders of FG, FF, Lab, Green, PD, and SF soon. Now the 'leader' of SF is Caoimhin O Caolaighin. But SF(and Sinn Fein loving RTE) want to send their President Gerry Adams. Labour quite rightly dont want to partake in a debate with Adams, and they've said it more than once that that is their wish. And I think they're 100% right. I want Irish politicians involved in debates about the future of our country, as in I want ones who are representing the people of Ireland(and Adams is not as he lives in Northern Ireland and is elected to serve the people of Northern Ireland). Now I know that Adams obviously considers himself to be Irish and that NI citizens are allowed to hold Irish Passports if they so wish, but how dare he tell us whats wrong in a country/durastiction he doesen't even live in.
    By the way it shows how scant a regard the sinn Fein leadership have of O Caolain that they want to send out Adams instead of him, even though he is their leader in the 'south'.

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if Bertie Ahern or Pat Rabbitte or Enda Kenny started complaining about the water charges and how it effects them so much and how they will try to tell the 'mainland' to stop increasing water charges in NI? They'd be told to concentrate on their own country, and rightly so. Look at all the fuss that FF have made when the German Bundeskanzellerin Angela Merkel said she hoped that there would be a change of Government here in the summer(never mind the fact that the CDU and FG are in the same grouping in the EU parliament and that the CDU are the equivalent of FG in Germany).

[quote=Elmo I think their are many people in the republic who think that Unionist did no wrong and that the catholics should have remained living in an unjustice and anti-democratic society.[/quote]

I think that that notion is simply not true. Why would any Irish person want that? As I've said in other posts, the British army/RUC were no angels in NI, nor were the Loyalist paramilitaries. I think that there are plenty of people in this country who think that only the Brits were at fault up there, but both sides did terrible things.Thats what pi**es me off about Sinn Fein, they are great for criticising what the other side did, and they are right to criticise them, but the IRA mureded an awful lot of people too. They are a party whos president said that 'the war is over'. There was no war in the first place. They are hippocritical beyond belief and so narrow minded on issues like these. They are stuck in a time warp. It is surprisingly enough for the Sinn Feiners 2007. Thats the year we are in. Ffs, stop talking about the 1916 proclamation. That was surprisingly enough 91 years ago. We are not in a war zone anymore. We're not fighting for the end of British Rule in Ireland,because Ireland is 26 Counties(even our constitution says so, though it does claim the souls of NI according to Ian Paisley),so presumably Sinn Fein are fighting for the end of British Rule in Northern Ireland. Amazing that I know more about the policies of Sinn Fein, even though I(fortunately) have nothing to do with them. Perhaps they should employ me(and pay me well since they're so well fundeed from America, and they can pay their'volunteers' I believe)and I actually might report facts and not fiction for them. By the way,the Greens are not a partitionist party either, since they have representation on both sides of the border too, anothere blatent lie from Sinn Fein.

While the Greens are represented on both sides of the boarder neither Party are associated with each other, however this does help The Greens view that we should have real decentralisation.
    I think that there are plenty of people in this country who think that only the Brits were at fault up there, but both sides did terrible things.Thats what pi**es me off about Sinn Fein, they are great for criticising what the other side did, and they are right to criticise them, but the IRA mureded an awful lot of people too.

I find that the Media, FF, FG, the PDs, UUP, DUP, etc etc tend to only ever talk about what "Sinn Fein/IRA" did, with little coverage given to what the British and the unionists did in that part of the country. SF end up having to defend the undefendable and come across as thou they are always telling us what the Unionists did, I have to say I haven't heard SF ever talk about the murders etc that the unionist did (Not saying that they don't). What pisses me off is the fact that generally we don't get any criticism from anyone in relation to what the unionist did. I continue to be astonished by the facts I am learning about the Unionist, up until now I did not know that the UVF was a legal organisation up to 1992.

Sorry I am taking this off topic.

So to bring it back

I WILL VOTE GREEN.

• Advertisement

. I think that there are plenty of people in this country who think that only the Brits were at fault up there, but both sides did terrible things.Thats what pi**es me off about Sinn Fein, they are great for criticising what the other side did, and they are right to criticise them, but the IRA mureded an awful lot of people too.
    There are also plenty of people that don't know that the British Establishment had a hand in murder of Irish civilians in car bombings in the 26 countys.
    Yes both sides made mistakes. The IRA have released a statement on a particullar killing (Not IRA sanctioned), and I can forsee more.
    They are a party whos president said that 'the war is over'. There was no war in the first place.
    Yes, there was.
    We're not fighting for the end of British Rule in Ireland,because Ireland is 26 Counties(even our constitution says so, though it does claim the souls of NI according to Ian Paisley),so presumably Sinn Fein are fighting for the end of British Rule in Northern Ireland. Amazing that I know more about the policies of Sinn Fein
    You're not fighting, Sinn Fein are. You're simply a man with an anti-republican agenda.
    me(and pay me well since they're so well fundeed from America, and they can pay their'volunteers' I believe)a
    Sinn Fein's accounts are all properly audited and adhere to all the guidelines set out in both the 6 and 26 counties in relation to fund raising and spending, and were recently confirmed as such by the Standards in Public Office CommISIOn.
    Greens are not a partitionist party either, since they have representation on both sides of the border too, anothere blatent lie from Sinn Fein.
    What lie??

Grow up would ye.

I find that the Media, FF, FG, the PDs, UUP, DUP, etc etc tend to only ever talk about what "Sinn Fein/IRA" did, with little coverage given to what the British and the unionists did in that part of the country. SF end up having to defend the undefendable and come across as thou they are always telling us what the Unionists did,
    Tired, did'nt fully read, but I'll say this.
    Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams deserve all the praise they can get. Both made serious sacrifices with party members leaving. And more is to come. Both men and parties need to be supported.

Elmo wrote:

I find that the Media, FF, FG, the PDs, UUP, DUP, etc etc tend to only ever talk about what "Sinn Fein/IRA" did, with little coverage given to what the British and the unionists did in that part of the country. SF end up having to defend the undefendable and come across as thou they are always telling us what the Unionists did, I have to say I haven't heard SF ever talk about the murders etc that the unionist did (Not saying that they don't). What pisses me off is the fact that generally we don't get any criticism from anyone in relation to what the unionist did. I continue to be astonished by the facts I am learning about the Unionist, up until now I did not know that the UVF was a legal organisation up to 1992.

Sorry I am taking this off topic.

So to bring it back

I WILL VOTE GREEN.

Plenty of RTE coverage re Pat Finnucane, Bloody Sunday, police collusion, Talbot st. bombings etc. A lot of what the IRA did, as the RUC etc. was indefedible, deal with it. It applies to the IRA as much as the RUC.
    There are also plenty of people that don't know that the British Establishment had a hand in murder of Irish civilians in car bombings in the 26 countys.
    Theres been plenty of media coverage of that. RTE being very vocal on it.

Both DUP and SF need to be supported as you say, but there are other issues in the Republic.FF/PD's have to defend their record just like SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You're not fighting, Sinn Fein are. You're simply a man with an anti-republican agenda.
    NOt taking a side on this because I don't know the man either, but how do you know he has an anti republican agenda. Republicanism isnt particular to those who want this island unified

think that that notion is simply not true. Why would any Irish person want that? As I've said in other posts, the British army/RUC were no angels in NI, nor were the Loyalist paramilitaries. I think that there are plenty of people in this country who think that only the Brits were at fault up there, but both sides did terrible things.Thats what pi**es me off about Sinn Fein, they are great for criticising what the other side did, and they are right to criticise them, but the IRA mureded an awful lot of people too. They are a party whos president said that 'the war is over'. There was no war in the first place. They are hippocritical beyond belief and so narrow minded on issues like these. They are stuck in a time warp. It is surprisingly enough for the Sinn Feiners 2007. Thats the year we are in. Ffs, stop talking about the 1916 proclamation. That was surprisingly enough 91 years ago. We are not in a war zone anymore. We're not fighting for the end of British Rule in Ireland,because Ireland is 26 Counties(even our constitution says so, though it does claim the souls of NI according to Ian Paisley),so presumably Sinn Fein are fighting for the end of British Rule in Northern Ireland. Amazing that I know more about the policies of Sinn Fein, even though I(fortunately) have nothing to do with them. Perhaps they should employ me(and pay me well since they're so well fundeed from America, and they can pay their'volunteers' I believe)and I actually might report facts and not fiction for them. By the way,the Greens are not a partitionist party either, since they have representation on both sides of the border too, anothere blatent lie from Sinn Fein

I have never in my life read so much crap.Ireland is twenty-six you say.Look at a map.You are an insult to my fellow Ulstermen and woman stuck under british soverny betrayed because of people like you.
    I have to laugh at the crying of FG and Labour because Gerry Adams will be allowed debate on RTE.He may not be a representative in the Dail because your party appose Northern representation in Dail Eireann.A betrayal of the history of your party.Whats that got to do with a debate.He is the democratically elected leader of Sinn Fein which is contesting the election and i and thousands of others want him to represent me as the Sinn Fein leader you big whinger.Admit it that its because Gerry Adams would wipe the floor with most of the political leaders in the Dail.Rauiri Quinn got burned a few years ago on the Late Late Show when he took on Gerry Adams in a TV debate.
    Luckily few Irish people like you think Ireland stops at the border.If that is the new ideology of Fine Gael then its a sad case who votes for them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ulster9 wrote:
    I have never in my life read so much crap.Ireland is twenty-six you say.Look at a map.You are an insult to my fellow Ulstermen and woman stuck under british soverny betrayed because of people like you.
    Way off topic for this thread. Don't go there.

Way off topic for this thread. Don't go there.

I think some of the earlier posters are the ones who have strayed.Returning to topic I will be voting Sinn Fein with more determination than ever after reading some of the vermin of this thread.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Calling other posters vermin - even without getting specific, and immediately after a warning at that - is completely unacceptable. Two week ban.

Edit: after a PM conversation, I've lifted the ban, but I'm still going to ask that everyone stay on-topic and civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

E92 wrote:
    By the way,the Greens are not a partitionist party either, since they have representation on both sides of the border too, anothere blatent lie from Sinn Fein.

As far as I can see the Greens in the North are part of a different party in the same way as there are Green parties in the US, UK, Germany etc

But even if they were an All Ireland single party that would not mean that they were anti partionist for example the DUP may have members on both sides of the border as the Free Presbyterians do they could even stand for election in Donegal or Monaghan but that would not make them anti partitionist.
    Just as the workers party are All Ireland but they are not anti partionists

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Voipjunkie wrote:
    As far as I can see the Greens in the North are part of a different party in the same way as there are Green parties in the US, UK, Germany etc
    That's right. They are two seperate parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Voipjunkie wrote:

Not quite.....
    The Green Party in Northern Ireland is a political party operating in Northern Ireland. In 2005 at their Annual Convention and again in a postal ballot in March 2006, its members voted to become a Region of the Irish Green Party and also have established organisational links with the Scottish Green Party and the Green Party of England and Wales. They claim that in this way, their North-South and East-West organisation makes them the only party in Northern Ireland not only to support the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, but also to live it through their organisational arrangements.

I know that Trevor Sargent and a bunch of other Comhaontas Glas members went North to help in the canvassing in the Assembly elections and the Northern Greens are allowed do things like submit motions for voting to the Ard-Fheis of an Comhaontas Glas, so they work closer than some people think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement