Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Stokes #1 for VP/Welfare

Options
  • 05-03-2007 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Ok, I know i dont post much here, i really should more becouse its a good resource, but please dont hold it agains me!

Right, my name is catherine stokes and this thruday there will be elections for next years SU committee, Im running for VP/Welfare becouse I feel I have what it takes to be a fantastic member of the sabbat, and sombody who genuinely cares about the students of maynooth.

right, here is my manifesto, please read it and let me know what you think.

What experience do I have?
    Since I first came to Maynooth in 2003, I have had a wide involvement in many great clubs and societies. I am currently Vice President of Friends Of Raphaels, an on campus society for people with special needs, and PRO of Mikado, NUIMs online boards community. I’ve been an active class rep for 2 years for both theology and sociology. Outside of college, I’ve worked for the REHAB Foundation for people with special needs and Sunshine House Children's Charity voluntarily for about 4 years. If you choose me to be your VP/Welfare next year this experience would be of great advantage to me as I am well used to looking after peoples needs and helping them get the best.

So, what am I planning to do for you?
    The Medical Center:

In our college, this is a vital service for students. However, in the past few years it has become unmanageable and for a college of 6000 student this is totally unacceptable. If elected, will make it my priority to improve this service. I will campaign constantly for the employment of a second doctor, which is well overdue. I also hope to get a representative from a family planning clinic to visit the medical center regularly to deal with students looking for STI testing and contraceptive info, and also lobby to up the hours done by the college psychiatrist . This would lead to quicker appointment times for students and ease the workload of an already overworked doctor

Finances , Money and Jobs:
    For most of us, being in college involves being broke! If you elect me VP/ Welfare I’ll try to make it easier for students to find ways to earn or get money to get through college life. I hope to have a page on the NUIMSU.com and a noticeboard in the on campus where student jobs can be advertised, I also hope to provide students with the opportunity to apply to a much wider range of grants (like the ESF grant, millennium partnership etc), as well as giving students a stronger awareness of their employment rights and the interview skills workshops run by the Access Office.

Crèche and Student Parent Support Network:
    The crèche is a is such a vital service, I promise if you elect me, I’ll fight to keep the fees at the current rate and maintain pressure to make sure the upgrade pledged by the Department of Justice in 2005 will come about as promised. With these major problems in the crèche at the moment, I feel a support group of student parents who can get together and learn from each others experiences along with their children is essential. Setting up of this is will be one major thing on my list of priorities if you elect me.

Security:
    I think the security of students should be looked at both on and off campus. Firstly, security and lighting on the south campus and at the Bus stop on the Kilcock road need a major upgrade, I will work hard to get this addressed. Off campus, providing a literature in all licensed premises throughout the town on support services, helplines and safety precautions would greatly help student be aware of their safety even when they are not in the grounds of NUIM/SPPC. Finally, with the growing number of students with cars, I would like introduce a “Designated Driver scheme” in the SU Bar, similar to that run by DIAGEO.

Sexual Health:
    Sexual Health Awareness is something that is hugely important to students on campus. Firstly it is extremely important for another condom machine to be made available and regularly stocked on campus, two badly maintained ones are not enough for 6000 students. Secondly, I think students would really benefit from an anonymous sex survey of the students attending this college, this way student could realized the realities of STI’s, Pregnancy, Contraception etc, on campus as the statistic are for them, by them. As well as this, the provision of a CURA crisis pregnancy councilor on campus would be really help many of the student who face a crisis pregnancy.

The 1st year Link System :
    Many students I have asked have told me of how, although academically helpful, the mentoring system in this college dose not help 1st years enough with the social aspects of campus life. While many first years deal well , many need care and guidance. I hope to place any first year who wishes to take part in the system in contact with a 2nd, 3rd or post grad student who they can meet a few times over the year for help. Numerous Welfare Officers have promised this on their manifestos in the past, but I will do everything I can to be the first to bring this about.

Mature students and Students with disabilities:
    These are just 2 types of students from the broad diversity of the NUIM/SPPC student body, but 2 that are close to my own heart. Being dyslexic myself and having a member of my family a mature student I have experienced to some extent first hand the struggles these people go through to get to get a third level education. I hope to liase to a greater extent with Access, Disabilities and Mature Student offices and revive the Welfare Working Group where both the needs of mature students and students with disabilities, along with those of GLBT, Access, Student Parents and international students, can be aired and addressed.

Mental Health:
    Mental health is something that all students have to deal with and comes in many shapes and forms. As well as always having my door always open for anyone who needs to talk and providing information and support for them, I will campaign for a greater acceptance of mental health issues within academic departments. Next year I hope to promote Ease Your Mind week significantly for all students providing “ease your mind” packs where both the fantastic services available in this college as well as general information on relaxation and exam stress can be handed out to all students.

St Patrick’s:
    As a St Pats student I feel the students of St Pats have been somewhat overlooked when it comes to student issues that the SU deal with. If elected, I will ensure they are properly represented at union council and on the Faculty board. I will make myself regularly available on the South Campus to hear their concerns and give help, as well as upgrading their common room facilities and encouraging proper communication between two colleges.

This is only a small summary of the work I plan to do for you if you choose to elect me as your VP/Welfare. There are many other issues that I plan to look at. If you want to, feel free to come and talk to me on campus if you see me or email me on vote-for-kitty@hotmail.com or visit my Bebo page on mellowkitty83.bebo.com with suggestions or comments!

So the Final Question…
    Why should you vote for me?

If you want an approachable, friendly and motivated VP/Welfare officer , vote for me. I aim to get out and talk to students, rather then only waiting for them to come to me, so students like you will know their Welfare Officer and will be happy to come to sit in my office and chat to me. I want students to see I’m somebody they can trust and they can be comfortable with, knowing they are in the safe hands of somebody who really cares about them

If you want somebody who is genuine, hard working, has the experience and will improve things right away, then vote for me. I promise to work with all my heart and soul for the good of you and your life as a student of this college. I love being a student here and think other students should feel the same. This the main reason Im running for the position.

So, If you like what you see, please get out and vote for me on Thursday 8th of march in the arts block or the library!

thanks very much, Catherine :)

Comments

Advertisement