Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to connect old computer to eircom BB help!

Options
  • 05-03-2007 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a problem connecting my old dell pentium 2 running windows 98 to eircom bb.
    I have just got the Netopia 2247NWG-VGx wireless router from eircom. The problem is my computer has no enternet cable connection. I would like to setup wireless connection on this as the router is wireless can this be done and if so what do i need. I know there are usb wireless adaptors but is there one that is compatible with windows 98 and the netopia wireless router.

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

If you have spare pci slot, why not just add network card, just be sure win 98 drivers are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use Ethernet, not USB. PCI card easily available with drivers for everything (check the blurb). If you have only ISA, those are available under 10 euro online. If you are going past Limerick Croom/Adare road you can have one (ISA) free.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I think i have a pci slot with nothing in it. So can you recommend a card to get then. Also you think say away from wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jhud wrote:
    I think i have a pci slot with nothing in it. So can you recommend a card to get then. Also you think say away from wireless.
    Any ethernet card should do - they should be only a few euro in Maplins or PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

http://www.pcworld.ie/products.aspx?range_rid=124&image=Wired_Networking

Cards that look like these are what you want. Either of them would do but you may find a cheaper card elsewhere. *cough* Maplin *cough*

I remember I once tried for ages to get an old clunker (which was above the minimum requirments) to take eircom broadband through ethernet. Spent literally 6 hours of my life on what should have been a 10 minute job and than I ring Eircom to find that there was no room at the exchange...Now I do that first every time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

You can pick up a wireless PCI card too if you'd rather not worry about cables.
    Cantec have them from about €35-50 recently, so I presume other places are much the same price.
    Again, check the box for win98 drivers. 98 can be funny with USB stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My Netgear WG311T PCI wireless network card allegedly has Windows 98SE drivers (never tried them of course). But I doubt you want to spend €40+ on that crappy old PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

niallb wrote:
    Cantec have them from about €35-50 recently, so I presume other places are much the same price.

Will windows 98 be compatible with wep? AFAIK it certainly wont handle wpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MattE

i had an ancient computer in the house that needed an ethernet port when i was settin up wireless. was convinced i was gona hav major problems with it as the computer was a piece of sh*t but it had a spare pci slot, went up 2 pc world, just asked for the basic non-branded pci/nic card, was only €8 (the branded 1 was €25!)! popped it in, worked fine, not a bother, first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

niallb wrote:

Win98SE will work with WEP shared key 128 bit. I doubt WPA as many cards on Win2K or Linux don't do WPA.

On older computers you better with cabled Ethernet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement