Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting from Raft to FFL, for Timber Frame

Options
  • 05-03-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

new to this game so please forgive me if I'm duplicating a thread somewhere else.

Have our raft complete, and need to get to finished floor level prior to the Timber Frame coming on site. We will get a base plan from the Frame provider, and are intending to get soap bars on site for the loadbearing walls, just wondering do we need to consider anything outside of getting the insulation in, and the underfloor heating installed prior to the screed pour up to finished floor level?

Any tips learned in the same process would be most welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

just gone through this excercise, blockies had the base plate knocked out, completed on a saturday, ground works guy came back to do the fill, toilet pop ups, subfloor radon, insulation - plumber came in to clip undefloor, run gas pipes to kitchen island's, manifolds (remember if the boiler is in the garage you will have to run a microflex 160mm dia pipe to the house - this should go in with the pop ups...not later as i found out....)
    screed was poured today - of all days, in the pissin rain....
    Timber frame guy coming back sat to double chack blockies baseplate , reccomend this as you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

With raft done, I was advised NOT to use soap bars, for good reason. There is no proper mechanical fixing between your stud frame and the raft. Soap bars are merely mortared, and are inclined to burst using conventional mechanical 'expanding fixings'. Your soap bar would need to be a minimum of 200mm wide, and no anchors within 100mm of any edge.

We put down treated C24 sole plate in a size of 150 x 75mm, anchored directly to the raft. Also made plumbing easy, and allowed extra insulation.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ross72

Thanks for the answers lads, will defo investigate the sole plate

have a look:

88171871-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

Have to say that this galwaytt guy is right, wish we had known about it before we did ours.

One thing of absolute importance is the leveling of the surface for all the walls to go on. We had our timberframe put straight onto soapblocks and when the frame arrived realised just how un-even the raft level was, the raft had clear dips in it and so the timberframe is now resting on little supports in the gaps!!!! It was due to the raft not being level, not the soap blocks, it is far from ideal. We also did not have enough height left for the correct amount of insulation and screed. Retropectively can see we made a complete mess of it all due to ignorance. Currently trying to deal with all the issues it left us with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hopefully you are packing up the little gaps under the tf with slate and not plywood packers as some do.

Direct fix of sole plate to the raft is good, just make sure you do not perforate the radon barrier or dpc with any of your fixing methods.

kadman

thanks boarduser, since I started doing that project, I now work for a TF company, and the experience has been invaluable.

Tolerances on our product:

L = +/- 2mm
    Plan Diagonal = +/ - 4mm
    Level on sole plate = +/- 2mm. Max packing under sole plate = 10mm, gaps to be filled with non-shrinking structural grout afterwards.
    Raft can be to a max of 10mm over wall length - no steps in excess of 12mm allowed.

If yer groundworks guy can't work to this..............find a different one.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement