Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf test drive

Options
  • 05-03-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Was test driving a car today, VW Golf. Was very nice, except when i turned on the car the "emission Workshop light came on. Plus a steady amber engine looking light stayed on. The owner said it was because she got it serviced independently (not a vw dealer, had a receipt for it, and he the independent dealer did not have a computer to turn of the service indication). Is this true? and if so can it be turned of easily by poping in to a vw dealer to scan the car.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it could be true, but might not be. if the system throws some faults you do
    need to get either a dealer or someone with vagcom sw and cable to clear the faults. however it could actually be a fault, what was the amber light indicating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tonyowensman

Reading another vw manual for a bora. It says the amber light, which is in the shape of an engine, Exhaust emission warning lamp. * displayed "emission workshop" in the combi-instrument briefly after start.
    Drove nicely the engine, took it for a decent drive.

Thanks for the quick response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

This happened recently with my golf. Took it to my back street garage guy who does have vag com. He plugged it in and it told him straight away what the problem was. I needed a new coil. Burt mine wasn't driving the best as a result. I'd say VW will rape you to get the light turned off so I would go somewhere else. Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

The service light is just a spanner.
    Sounds like it's a warning light. The seller is filling you with BS.
    Don't buy until it's sorted.

In Dublin myself. The car runs grand though, smooth. Just wondering if it is just the light that comes on when the vw needs a service. Or if it comes on just for faults.

• Advertisement

cheers leon, looks like i should look into it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

It could be something big that needs doing or it could be that something was fixed in a back street garage and they didn't have the computer to reset the light after the work was done. Either way I wouldn't buy it until it's sorted or at least you know for definite what the problem is.
    It could be that the seller decided to off load the car after finding out how much it would be to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As soon as it's plugged into vag com it will tell you what the problem is. Ask the seller what the problem is and see if they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Walk away. The Golf is a common car and there are plenty of them for sale at any given time. With so much choice, why buy a car that has warning lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brian is right.

That light could be one of many things - EGR valve, oxygen sensor, coil packs, turbo, air mass meter, etc - all of which can give trouble on VWs from time to time.

If the seller takes it to the garage - ask for proof that the car was repaired and didn't simply have the light turned off. If it's an intermittent fault the light will go out only to come on again when the fault reoccurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Shouldn't whoever you're buying the car from get this done? Seems a bit stupid to try and sell a car with that showing up! It might as well be a "Don't Buy Me" light!

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eamon234 wrote:
    Shouldn't whoever you're buying the car from get this done? Seems a bit stupid to try and sell a car with that showing up! It might as well be a "Don't Buy Me" light!

Normally yes. But only if it was a simple thing as going to a VW garage with the software to reset the fault indicator. Might only cost around €60 or so to get it done. If someone was hiding a major fault or job that needs done then they would give a potential buyer some bull story like this one. To be honest alot of people would believe it too as there are still alot out there who think VWs are the last word in reliability.

To the OP, as others have suggested walk away, there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

As a general rule of thumb to people who might come across this thread when searching for VW Golf fault code info, just buy yourself a cable from ebay and don't ever pop into a garage and give them 50 euro to reset a light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220087006169&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=330030649010&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sounds like the engine managment system light...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Bluetonic wrote:
    As a general rule of thumb to people who might come across this thread when searching for VW Golf fault code info, just buy yourself a cable from ebay and don't ever pop into a garage and give them 50 euro to reset a light.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220087006169&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=330030649010&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Does what that ad is selling give you everything you need to get rid of the engine light or do you need to buy the VAGCOM software seperately???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Does what that ad is selling give you everything you need to get rid of the engine light or do you need to buy the VAGCOM software seperately???

There is plenty of free software you can download free of charge with full functionality, check out some VW owners forums.

Advertisement