Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So...the plug from my 360 started to melt my fan... I think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Isn't that a known issue with that fan?

Draws too much power from the Xbox's PSU...

Does the 360 still work?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

PG4000 wrote:
    I bought this fan after my 360 kept freezing due to overheating, a few days after i bought my 360 on the 12th of January:

http://www.4gamers.net/images/CoolingFanImage3_000.jpg

I smelt a kind of burning smell and decided to investigate further and took out the fan to discover this:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1166/image018br7.jpg

The plug connection from the xbox itself is kinda of melted as well but you cant really notice it in this picture:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9980/image019zm4.jpg

What i want to know is, is it the 360 plug doing the damage or is it the fan? I want to get my 360 back up and running in good condition by tomorrow so should i bring back the plug or the fan to the point of purchase?

Thanks

Tbh I would think that it could be the 360. I would bring it back to the place that you purchased it and explain your sitution, maybe you should leave out the part about the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

I didn't know that was an issue! I wouldn't have bought it otherwise! The 360 does still work yeah, but i don't want to turn it on without the fan on in case the slightly charred plug does some damage to the actual 360.

Do you reckon i could get a replacement plug from the place i bought the 360? And do you know of anywhere that sell good external fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its a very well known issue, stop using it now and don't use any external fans for the Xbox360.

If you send that into Microsoft for a replacment they will refuse to fix it if there is any burning or charring around the plug.

So what do you recommend to keep the 360 cool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

^ Water :P and keeping it in a well ventilated area. Particularly the power brick.

Em I believe that you should contact 4 gamers people have gotten whole new premium packs from them because of stuff like this. So ask them.

You may not have had the fan pushed in all the way so sparks were created between the connectors
    which made them charred.

Do you know of any articles on the web about people who complained to 4Gamers, so i can get a good idea of how i go about doing it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PG4000 wrote:
    So what do you recommend to keep the 360 cool?
    The fans in the 360...

If they aren't up to the job then its time for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

The Nyko Intercooler is a big NO-NO and it comes from Microsoft themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah those coolers are well known for that issue, avoid avoid avoid.

You don't need extra cooling. Just make sure it's in a well ventilated area (ie not stuck between other things, tightly crammed in somewhere, or covered with stuff). Leave the power brick out on it's own aswell if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

PG4000 wrote:
    Do you know of any articles on the web about people who complained to 4Gamers, so i can get a good idea of how i go about doing it right?

I read a few articles ages ago but there gone now. So sorry I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You could get on to microsoft and say you smelt burning from the back of your 360 and worried it will burn down the house, i'm sure they would replace it as they wouldn't need that kind of bad publicity, just don't mention you had a 3rd party fan plugged into it.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Deeco

You should defo ring Microsoft my 360 started to overheat in November
    it kept shutting down rang them ups picked it up dropped back after a month with upgraded fans

Works great and not as much noise!!!

Advertisement