Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does everyone have the same app maths book?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i was thinking if everybody has the same applied maths book we should start a detailed solution forum.like if someone has a problem with queston...8F no 1
    (i have fundamental applied mathematics by oliver murphy)the question could be easily dealt with by other people in a detailed fashion so we could all help eachother out.good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I presume when you said "forum" you meant "thread". And I don't think there'd be enough demand for a seperate thread. If someone needs help with App Maths just make a new thread asking a question. I'd be more than happy to help anyone with an App Maths question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 muse0232

oh yeah sorry i always get those mixed up.not think this could be a good thread?wlel ill give it a go anyway. exercise 8f q.2 give me hand?

Ok. I'm just gonna try n do this in my head cos I'm not bothered writing it out, so apologies if this is wrong.

So you've got the 1m rod horizontal and two 1m strings going from both end of the rod to the same point, making an equilateral triangle, apb.

At a and b the force directly up will be 15N.

Draw a line splitting the traingle in two and focus on one side of it. I'll take the side with the pb string. You've got a triangle with hypotonuse 1m and one side 0.5m. You want to get the angle at p, which is equal to the angle at a between the string pb and the vertical force vector at a.

sin^-1(0.5/1) = sin^-1(1/2) = 30 degs.

Therefore T = 15/cos30 = 10root3

EDIT: Error corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Okay, the diagram should look like an equilateral triangle of side 1, thus all angles are 60 degrees.

You don't need to bother about forces to the left and the right as that's... not much use in the question, so you conclude that the vertical components of the two tensions is equal to the weight down, so
    T1(sin60) + T2(sin60) = 30
    this be equation one

then, take moments about a point (I took a), and come up with that 30(.5) = T2(sin60) (T1 is not important as it goes through A, you only want the vertical component of T2 as the horizontal goes through A as well, hence sin60).

This you put back into the original equation to gather that
    T1(sin60) + 15 = 30, so, being that sin 60 = root3/2, you just... jiggle it around as one does until you have the answer. Which appears to be that both strings have a tension of 10root3 N.

That may not make any sense, but I figured I'd spare you a diagram.

EDIT: Hehe, just got in before me!

I shoulda noticed the fact all angles are 60 degs in an equilateral triangle. Makes it ever so slightly shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

I have that book too and as far as i know it's the only one around! Anyone else i know who does applied maths has it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

As far as I know, it's the only applied maths book available at Leaving Cert. level.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

fraid its not the only one around, my year have a new book, i forget whats its called because we no longer use it, it was blue and crap. it was over complicated and always had messy answers, now we only use papers, my teacher has some going back to the "60s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

appliedmaths.jpg
    Yes, I use this book. There is another but its designed for matricualtion into University. It is blue and crap (the same one the above poster is on about). I used it once for covering hydrostatics. I'd be more than happy to assist in solving questions. I usually have the problems on the exam papers tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

muse0232 wrote:
    i was thinking if everybody has the same applied maths book we should start a detailed solution forum.like if someone has a problem with queston...8F no 1
    (i have fundamental applied mathematics by oliver murphy)the question could be easily dealt with by other people in a detailed fashion so we could all help eachother out.good idea?
    there are 2 books available..i know this cos 2 my teacher last year(now in first year college) when we were complaining about how crap the book is...(and it is crap) told us that we were lucky, that he had to change books for us cos the year ahead of us had such a bad book...(aka they were using a diferent book)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Have both books, both are ****e, they are only warm up questions really. Its all about just beating exam paper questions into your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

We use that book too. the out of place descriptions of some objects , like a jag and a mini cooper instead of car A and car B are funny.. and the quotes at the beginning of each chapter are good.

They really could have put more effort into the front cover... by far the least appealing of all subjects!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Could i get the names of the applied maths books please?I'm gonna do it before college during the summer but i haven't seen the books around...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

One is by Kevin Conliffe, other by Oliver Murphy. Oliver's one is by far the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

theliam wrote:
    fraid its not the only one around, my year have a new book, i forget whats its called because we no longer use it, it was blue and crap. it was over complicated and always had messy answers, now we only use papers, my teacher has some going back to the "60s
    Yeah I have the crappy blue one. Its terrible to be honest, even the topics are grouped in awkward ways. The methods used are definately 'messy'. And its supposedly designed for first year engineering students.:eek: (and no teacher with forty years worth of papers either!:eek: :eek: ) Lemansky definately get Oliver Murphy's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

thanks for that TheDriver and dan719.Thats my mind made up for me!That and the papers should cover me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

the mechanics book for english a-levels, covers most topics and has far more extensive range of samples than the two books mentioned above, only problem is it doesn't cover everything and theres differant notation,still a useful aid in conjunction with the other two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

In conjunction with english a-levels, further maths, what do ye think? I don't believe its that much above the higher course, albeit with more emphasis on proof, but a whole extra subject, how handy would that be!?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

dan719 wrote:
    In conjunction with english a-levels, further maths, what do ye think? I don't believe its that much above the higher course, albeit with more emphasis on proof, but a whole extra subject, how handy would that be!?!

as regards standard i remember reading in a paper that the english maths and science a-levels are the equivalent of our first year in college in standard. But everything else is of equal standard.

But regards as another subject, that would be a second subject to be doing outside of school for me, despite how nice the subject would be for us maths fans it would still be an immense work load for the leaving cert unless you dropped to pass in all the languages and had a top 6 of say : Maths, further maths, applied maths, physics,chemistry and what ever else your school does in my case economics. now that would be an enjoyable leaving cert.

^Ya get 4/5 of those already, I'm not complaining....

• Advertisement
Advertisement