Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'00 Bmw 540

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

why spend 8k on extras and sell in 6 months?

the steering setup on these is different to the 6 cylinder and is a bit of a complicated setup, so I'd get it well checked out.

ask about on http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=5
    the lads on there would be v. familiar with the E39 and would be able to point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its a recirculating ball steering setup alright - have heard one or two people moan about it, but considering the M5 uses it, it can't be too bad

As for spending 8k on extras and selling a few months later, have done it myself in the past, its doesn;t necessarily point to anything wrong - those wheels, a sports kit and the install would eat up a good chunk of that cash too. Just make sure the history all checks out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Lex Luthor wrote:
    why spend 8k on extras and sell in 6 months?

the steering setup on these is different to the 6 cylinder

What cylinder are the 540's?

Thanks, ill post on the other site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

antodeco wrote:
    What cylinder are the 540's?

Thanks, ill post on the other site too.

4.4 Litre V8.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Max_Damage wrote:
    4.4 Litre V8.

Sorry, misunderstood the original post! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice motor :)

A bit overpriced though tbh. A 7 year old 5-series high spec V8 petrol for €19k. I paid €11k for a 7 year old 7-series higher spec V8 petrol with the same M62 engine (albeit in 3.5l)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

My dad bought one from new in 99. Worst car we have ever had really. Head gasket went and either because of that or later on it needed a brand new engine. Even after a new engine it was starting to overheat. Auto air con was a nightmare, in and out of the garage numerous times but never worked right. Sold it after three years of trouble.

Next car was a 530d and never looked at another petrol since.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Nice motor :)

A bit overpriced though tbh. A 7 year old 5-series high spec V8 petrol for €19k. I paid €11k for a 7 year old 7-series higher spec V8 petrol with the same M62 engine (albeit in 3.5l)

Looks like the owner is trying to claw back some of that €8k spent six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If I was buying an E39 again, my choice would be the 528i manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

buy a nice 530i running costs of the 540 are apparently frightening

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    running costs of the 540 are apparently frightening

How come? Sure enough there's tax, insurance and fuel consumption won't be good, but the engine / tranny should be trouble free
    Munurty wrote:
    My dad bought one from new in 99

Are you sure it was a 540i? I'd say only a handful of them were sold here per year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

from what ive come across the 540 is very very expensive to run given what youve mentioned and also if anything goes wrongs its basically m5 money to get fixed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

heard the 4.4 v8 does about 9mpg which is just too painful to imagine the fuel bill.
    you might as well go for the m5.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

If it was me, i'd get a high spec 530d and go down to halfords for those rear headrest tv monitors and a stanley knife:eek:

iremex wrote:
    heard the 4.4 v8 does about 9mpg

LOL - it depends on what way you drive I suppose

I've a 7-series with the same engine (albeit only 3.5l) and I've averaged 21MPG over the last 3 years. That's mainly start-stop Dublin traffic. On long-distance travel with a heavy overtaking foot, I get up to 30MPG

It would probably take either a lunatic or a racing track (or both) to get single figures from the 540i :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

too much. A neighbour bought an 01 740iL for 16k.

For that money, and that class, there are a squillion 530d's out there for sale, so they'd be a much better bet. Quicker midrange than a Boxster, and in tiptronic, it's the biz.............only the €1300+ p.a. tax puts me off.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:
    LOL - it depends on what way you drive I suppose

I've a 7-series with the same engine (albeit only 3.5l) and I've averaged 21MPG over the last 3 years. That's mainly start-stop Dublin traffic. On long-distance travel with a heavy overtaking foot, I get up to 30MPG

It would probably take either a lunatic or a racing track (or both) to get single figures from the 540i :D

I would think so - was brought for a spin in a beauty of an e39 M5 last week, and he was getting between 14 and 19MPG.

PS - you only have a 3.5 litre engine?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Looks nice enough. Extras although doubtless desirable, are valueless imho.

eoin_s wrote:
    you only have a 3.5 litre engine?!

I would have preferred the 4.4 although there's not that much in it between the two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    I would have preferred the 4.4 although there's not that much in it between the two :)

Yeah, only a 0.9 litre engine from a Suzuki Alto. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the E39 is a good car, but personally I would avoid one that has been messed around like that. Not to mention that the price is optimistic to say the least.

Have you considered going to the UK to buy one?

Both the M62 and the 328 inline 6 are mechanically very solid. The only disapointment with the V8 is its comparative lack of low-end torque IMO.

7MPG sounds almost impossibly low, even for track racing with an M62. Methinks there was a problem with the car.

Advertisement