Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4 documentry, mid 80's ... can you name it ?

• 05-03-2007 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I vaguely remember a documentry that was shown on (almost positive) Channel 4 in the early to mid 80's one sunday afternoon. It was shot in the 1940's or 1950's and was about a company called Jahco Engineering (or possibly Jaco, Jacko, Jago or some similar spelling ... pronounced Jacko). This was a heavy engineering company in the US, with some very progressive manufacturing practices, almost Japanese like ... very unusual for American industry of the time.

One scene I remember was a guy arriving late for his shift. As soon as he walks onto the floor of the machine shop, and it's massive, with hundreds of lathes and milling machines, all the workers who spot him start banging on steel plate with hammers. He makes a bee line through the shop floor, with this noise following him, and dives onto his machine, mortified with embarrassment, with all his mates shouting at him for letting them down by holding up the line.

I've searched the web for any reference to the programme or company, but can't find anything relevant. Does anybody remember anything else, or the name of the programme or company ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I vaguely remember a documentry that was shown on (almost positive) Channel 4 in the early to mid 80's one sunday afternoon. It was shot in the 1940's or 1950's and was about a company called Jahco Engineering (or possibly Jaco, Jacko, Jago or some similar spelling ... pronounced Jacko). This was a heavy engineering company in the US, with some very progressive manufacturing practices, almost Japanese like ... very unusual for American industry of the time.

One scene I remember was a guy arriving late for his shift. As soon as he walks onto the floor of the machine shop, and it's massive, with hundreds of lathes and milling machines, all the workers who spot him start banging on steel plate with hammers. He makes a bee line through the shop floor, with this noise following him, and dives onto his machine, mortified with embarrassment, with all his mates shouting at him for letting them down by holding up the line.

I've searched the web for any reference to the programme or company, but can't find anything relevant. Does anybody remember anything else, or the name of the programme or company ??

isn't some sort of famous maunfacturing system developed by the japanese , that worked for toyato or something and the doc was about to us companys?

try the keyword (manufacturing/production) system

Advertisement