Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What "hot" diesels are availible?

Options
  • 05-03-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hello
    What "hot hatch" diesels are availible on the Irish Market? yes i know "hot hatch" and diesel dont normally go together but 130+ bhp in smaller cars gives pretty damn good performance in the real world :)
    I have looked at the Golfs, Seats, Skoda ect ...are there others i should look at? What have peoples experiences with those cars been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Auris 2.2 D4D. Toyota here probably won't sell it though as the outfit seems to be run by chartered accountants!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you can get the 2.0 TDI in the A3 with 170bhp, pretty quick
    although not sure I'd call it a hot hatch but it gets to 60 in about
    8 secs and hits 140mph. A bit steep though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Altreab wrote:
    Hello
    What "hot hatch" diesels are availible on the Irish Market? yes i know "hot hatch" and diesel dont normally go together but 130+ bhp in smaller cars gives pretty damn good performance in the real world :)
    I have looked at the Golfs, Seats, Skoda ect ...are there others i should look at? What have peoples experiences with those cars been?

I dunno if this would be your cup of tea, but i'm currently totally smitten for an alfa GT. The 1.9 diesel is 150 bhp so must be pretty ‘hot’. Fair enough its not exactly a hatchback but it’s the same no. seats as the golf / seats etc and a proper sized boot. Plus its also the most sexy thing on the road! :D

From reading all the posts relating to alfa’s on this board – you either are brave enough or not to go for one. Most posts seem to suggest that they are just as reliability as virtually any other car on the road (maybe except for Toyota or Honda) - after you wade throu all the posts which relate to a friend-of-a-friend who knew somebody who had one etc…

As far as I can gather the issue is really about the level of depreciation the car would attract but best way around this is to look out for a 2 / 3 year old one which has been looked after……

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Auris gets the 125bhp 2.0 and 6 speed manual from the Avensis over here, maidhc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Altreab wrote:
    Hello

Astra SRi 1.9 CDTi 16v. 150bhp and 0-60 in under 9 seconds. Pretty hot for a diesel.

Can also be remapped to over 200bhp:

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall/vauxhall-Astra-mk5-ecu-remap-chip-engine-tuning.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Apparently the Fabia VRS is pretty nifty

colm_mcm wrote:
    Auris gets the 125bhp 2.0 and 6 speed manual from the Avensis over here, maidhc.

I know, but the 180bhp 2.2DCAT would be more fun. :)

Not that many would be sold since we tax cars by capacity rather than by emissions. Blah.

Still. The 2.0D4D wouldn't be bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

PauloMN wrote:
    Astra SRi 1.9 CDTi 16v. 150bhp and 0-60 in under 9 seconds. Pretty hot for a diesel.

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall/vauxhall-Astra-mk5-ecu-remap-chip-engine-tuning.html

What if any differance does mapping make to the Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

your ment to disclose any changes to performance to the company, and the increase in BHP can increase your premium.

alot of people dont disclose and drive with a remapped or chipped car, but if they have an accident and the company find out, they can use it as a clause to not pay you.

They will pay any other third party claims, but not yours.

Alfa 147 Lusso with the same engine 29k

Volvo c30 has a 136bhp 2.0 or a 180-ish bhp D5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

maidhc wrote:
    Auris 2.2 D4D. Toyota here probably won't sell it though as the outfit seems to be run by chartered accountants!

haha...I hope to be going to Toyota on Co-Op next January (as an accountant)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

PauloMN wrote:

That figure you quoted and the others on their website are highly optimistic.

Have a look at the power claims for VAG diesels and have a look at a reputable tuner like Revo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A bit more expensive, but the BMW 120d has just been upped to 177bhp, should be good for 0-100km/h in 7.5 or so seconds.

ninty9er wrote:
    haha...I hope to be going to Toyota on Co-Op next January (as an accountant)

http://www.youtubeindir.com/izle__Monty-Python-Lion-Tamer-Sketch__-V9xDgAjUaI.html

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Anan1 wrote:
    A bit more expensive, but the BMW 120d has just been upped to 177bhp, should be good for 0-100km/h in 7.5 or so seconds.

Yes but its a dreadful looking car.

bmw1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

VeVeX wrote:
    bmw1.jpg

so, so true :D

maidhc wrote:

Brilliant ROFL :D:D:D:D

I'm hoping to stay in industry thanks.....not cooped up in a cubicle in some block inhabited by 600 accountants

Back on topic: The new 207 comes wit a 110bhp 1.6...nothing spectacular but it is only pulling a supermini, the petrol is 150bhp

VeVeX wrote:

bmw1.jpg

Did anyone read they very small print....it's worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    Alfa 147 Lusso with the same engine 29k

Very rare to find a diesel 147 on these shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MkIV Golf and MkI Seat Leon came with the 1.9 TDi PD 150bhp engine but very rare here, more common in the UK though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VeVeX wrote:

bmw1.jpg
    Sure it is, and sure it has the same image problems as any other BMW. Probably the most accomplished diesel "hot hatch" to drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

320d (150BHP) remapped to 180BHP?

Or the 330d? (sexy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I know it is a golf, and you were looking for alternatives but it is "hot" (with a bit of work done) I would imagine that the kit is not everyones cup of tea

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=535656

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9 TDI PD 160
    0-62mph - 7.6 secs
    160bhp 330Nm
    Not sure it's available in Ireland though, only ever seen them for sale up North/UK

Tis a good looking car too IMO
    latestpic3dc5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

VeVeX wrote:

bmw1.jpg

Very true....awful things. Had a quick spin in one a while back...more room in a Micra. No space, terrible spec, underpowered 1.6 engine all for over 30k...nonsense

According to a friend in the trade they are quite popular second-hand, at a much reduced rate, but selling them new is near impossible

not as overpriced as an A3, at least the 1 series is RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

eamon234 wrote:
    Apparently the Fabia VRS is pretty nifty
    One for sale here but it's more a warm hatch than hot hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

335d coupe (if money no object!)

0 to 60 in 6.9 seconds!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=609394

a more sensible option would be the 320cd or 320d saloon, 150bhp (163bhp in the newer model)

a friend of mine bought a new alfa 159 diesel, and i must admit, it sounds very quiet for a diesel and has loads of power, might be better hand second, but that goes for all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I'm currently driving my first diesel car - an MY2007 GT JTDm... it won't be my last.

It's a 1.9 4 cylinder 16v, and a hoot to drive. Returns good economy while packing some decent low down torque (305Nm @ 2000RPM & 150BHP @ 4000RPM) to make driving interesting once again. Delighted with it!

Pic's are a little big, sorry..

Interior:
    http://i14.tinypic.com/2z6xx1v.jpg

Whoops, far out shot at Mondello :p
    http://i13.tinypic.com/31359ut.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Advertisement