Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What "hot" diesels are availible?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bazz26 wrote:
    Very rare to find a diesel 147 on these shores.

http://tinyurl.com/3ytauv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ninty9er wrote:
    Did anyone read they very small print....it's worth it!!!

some of the "gouys" in work drive them. they really need a lot spent on them to look good the basic one looks daft.

fletch wrote:
    One for sale here but it's more a warm hatch than hot hatch

Didnt top gear have a race between this and a cooper s and it was even stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

prospect wrote:

Yes they are very rare (as mentioned in the first ad) but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Didnt top gear have a race between this and a cooper s and it was even stevens.
    No it was a Cooper, not a Cooper S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ciarsd wrote:
    I'm currently driving my first diesel car - a GT JTDm... it won't be my last.

It's a 1.9 4 cylinder 16v, and a hoot to drive. Returns good economy while packing some decent low down torque (305Nm @ 2000RPM & 150BHP @ 4000RPM) to make driving interesting once again. Delighted with it!

Pic's are a little big, sorry..

Interior:
    http://i14.tinypic.com/2z6xx1v.jpg

Whoops, far out shot at Mondello :p
    http://i13.tinypic.com/31359ut.jpg
    Ya, the GT are a great looking car, and that diesel engine is excellent. It's a Fiat power plant, and is the same as is used in the Astra that someone mentioned.
    The Ibiza would be a good one because it's got a bit more power from the VAG tdi than the golf has, and it would be lighter.
    Regarding the 335d... excellent engine and car, but hardly a hatch!! Might aswell throw in the A8 4.2 TDi, 0-60 in 5.9 secs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Mc-BigE wrote:

Had a spin in one of these about 4 weeks back.. silver 2007 demo.

While it's powerful and a lot of car for the money, I didn't think it was driveable...wanting to spin in 1st 2nd and 3rd, without much effort...serious traction issues, which I got bored of (and frustrated with) very very quickly.

A friend of mine has the petrol MKII vRS, serious difference and a pleasure to drive and be driven in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Fabia vRS tdi130 aint too bad or the golf/leon tdi150's. Having owned a leon tdi150 i can say it was fast for a diesel and with a remap it was fun to drive and returned at least 50mpg on average. The new vag tdi170 looks interesting and is availble in the golf, leon and octavia to name but a few.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

colm_mcm wrote:
    not as overpriced as an A3, at least the 1 series is RWD

not sure this is correct, when I was looking the 1 series was actually more expensive retail than the equivalent A3. There
    were better deals available on the 1 series though as they are having a terrible time selling them..

• Advertisement

I've an altea 2.0 Tdi, I can get it to 170bhp with a remap, is it worth it.? has anyone any experiance with remapping the 2.0Tdi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Biro wrote:
    Ya, the GT are a great looking car, and that diesel engine is excellent. It's a Fiat power plant, and is the same as is used in the Astra that someone mentioned.

Have the 150 bhp version in my Vectra and its a cracking engine. In a small hatch I'd say it would be great fun. Think theres an SRi Astra available with this. Probably quite expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

prospect wrote:

Any one agree with me that that 147 looks very 1 series like??? Wouldnt be my cup of tea

VeVeX wrote:
    Yes but its a dreadful looking car.

bmw1.jpg

Class war in disguise :)

But 30k for an underpowered 1.6, no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fizman wrote:
    Any one agree with me that that 147 looks very 1 series like??? Wouldnt be my cup of tea
    Facelifted cars rarely look as well as the original design. The 1 series may not be beautiful, but at least it's homogenous. The facelifted 147 looks awful, a big step backwards from the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I suppose my diesel is fairly "hot", Alfa 156 2.4jtd, 200 horses on tap :D

1123.jpg

Fizman wrote:

Try the other way around...

The 1 series looks like the 147.. same designer I believe. Designed the 147 first back in 99/00, released in mid 2001.

I still don't understand why manufacturers insist on a 6-speed box with their higher end diesels. Diesels don't need 6 speed, and all you get as ciarsd said is wheelspin. 5 speed is adequate as you don't need to rev the balls off a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

siralfalot wrote:

1123.jpg

Very nice. Very tempted to get a 159 or GT next....can't beat those Italian diesel engines.

Any reliabilty issues? Rather hear it from an owner than the usual Alfa bashers on here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

furtzy wrote:
    Rather hear it from an owner than the usual Alfa bashers on here
    Yeah me too - thinkin hard on an GT 1.9 diesel:)

• Advertisement

ciarsd wrote:
    Try the other way around...

The 1 series looks like the 147.. same designer I believe. Designed the 147 first back in 99/00, released in mid 2001.

Walter de Sliva Designed the 147/156 I think, he moved to VAG. He designed the old and new leon, altea, TT, to name but a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_deSilva

furtzy wrote:
    Very nice. Very tempted to get a 159 or GT next....can't beat those Italian diesel engines.

Any reliabilty issues? Rather hear it from an owner than the usual Alfa bashers on here

nah not really, its a 2003, the reliability was pretty sorted by then, put a new altenator in it a while back, it needs a service at the moment, and I'm always changing and modifying bits on it, it has koni suspension and will be getting powerflex bushes installed, I also have an uprated race spec clutch kit and Q2 front LSD to be installed, all so I can drag even more power out of it :cool:

siralfalot wrote:
    nah not really, its a 2003, the reliability was pretty sorted by then, put a new altenator in it a while back, it needs a service at the moment, and I'm always changing and modifying bits on it, it has koni suspension and will be getting powerflex bushes installed, I also have an uprated race spec clutch kit and Q2 front LSD to be installed, all so I can drag even more power out of it :cool:
    Is that the LSD that they're fitting to a new limited edition sport GT diesel? Or would that be too weak and the wrong size for the 2.4? Also, I've seen some 04 and 05 2.4 JTD's out stating that they're 175bhp. When did they change to the 200bhp? Or was it another option from a certain year? If so when? I know they're in the 159 alright, only in 200bhp, and I know you can get them in the 156, eg your one!! but where does the 175 one come into the equation?

Biro wrote:
    Is that the LSD that they're fitting to a new limited edition sport GT diesel? Or would that be too weak and the wrong size for the 2.4? Also, I've seen some 04 and 05 2.4 JTD's out stating that they're 175bhp. When did they change to the 200bhp? Or was it another option from a certain year? If so when? I know they're in the 159 alright, only in 200bhp, and I know you can get them in the 156, eg your one!! but where does the 175 one come into the equation?

I was wondering who would spot that!:D you're spot on! the car is remapped by Celtic Tuning, but it is a fairly mild map to save the clutch, once thats changed it will be mapped again, the Q2 diff is the one from the GT, it will fit most alfas including the 2.4, I've even heard of a few GTA's getting the retrofit done

the demand for retrofit Q2 Differentials is huge, was on the phone to Fiat in the UK last week and i was told they are having trouble keeping up with demand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fizman wrote:
    Nah, BMW made a balls of it and tried to copy the Alfa, but failed
    siralfalot wrote:

1123.jpg

Nice wheels, were they standard? I have the 5 hole teledials on mine

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Nah, BMW made a balls of it and tried to copy the Alfa, but failed

Nice wheels, were they standard? I have the 5 hole teledials on mine
    the wheels are 17" Alfa "supersport", it came with the 16" wheels as standard

siralfalot wrote:
    I was wondering who would spot that!:D you're spot on! the car is remapped by Celtic Tuning, but it is a fairly mild map to save the clutch, once thats changed it will be mapped again, the Q2 diff is the one from the GT, it will fit most alfas including the 2.4, I've even heard of a few GTA's getting the retrofit done

the demand for retrofit Q2 Differentials is huge, was on the phone to Fiat in the UK last week and i was told they are having trouble keeping up with demand
    Well... I wasn't sure, and would hate to accuse!! :p
    Nice bus though, fair play. I read an article on the new diff's alright, and they complained about them because they were only fitting it to the diesel and GTA GT's, so I knew they'd be sought after, cause a lot of Alfa's would benefit from them!! You'll have a savage machine after that work!!
    As a matter of interest, when did the 2.4 officially change from 175 to 200?

Biro wrote:
    I read an article on the new diff's alright, and they complained about them because they were only fitting it to the diesel and GTA GT's, so I knew they'd be sought after, cause a lot of Alfa's would benefit from them!!

For the minute in the GT range, they're only fitted to the MY2007 GT JTDm - also referred to as a GT Q2 (in the UK). There is no GTA spec GT, however there is a 3.2 V6 version.

There is also a 147 'Q2' with the self locking diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I like the 1-series. I suppose its not the prettiest of cars but at least its not another 3 series. I think they look well with decent alloys. I've driven the 1.6 and its pretty gutless to be fair.

I'm thinking of importing a 120d tho after the VRT rules change as its in the 'C' emissions band. Still has 163hp which is pretty good and its RWD which will remove the bain of torque-steer from my life (Mk4 Golf Diesel).

Oh and you can chip it to 200hp, see below ;):
    http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/BMW120d.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Ferris wrote: »
    Oh and you can chip it to 200hp, see below ;):
    http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/BMW120d.pdf

You could of course just buy a 123d with 204 bhp and 295 lb ft;).

It tops out at 148 mph and doers 0-60 in around 7 seconds I think.

As for VAG they have decided to copy BMW's idea of twin turbos and there will soon be a 2.0 TDI with 200 bhp(the new twin turbo common rail diesel). So I wouldn't rule out a Mk6 Golf GTI TDI. In fact I would say it would be very much on the cards.

Advertisement