Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Return Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sure the RTE panel were a bit over the top but the point they were trying to make was a valid one.
    Liverpool couldnt string 3 passes together for most of the match.
    Their sole attacking ploy consisted of lumping long balls down the channels and hoping for a break.
    They defended well and didnt give Barcelona much space but the standard of football they played was abysmal.
    They are professional fooballers and should be able to retain possession and make short passes easily.
    They were more a team of athletes than footballers last night ,as they are on alot of occasions.
    They seem to prefer not to have possession of the ball.
    Exciting team to watch for a fan but for the neutral they are horrible .
    The ends justifies the means .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic's team leaked early as usual. Jarosik playing ahead of Gravesen. wtf is Strachan's problem with Gravesen? He was ideal for tonight in a free role. Jarosik is a lazy bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

very disappointed with Barcelona tonight, they were poor. The commentary from the ITV pair was dreadful.

What else do you expect from ITV? Really, they are the dregs for sporting events - the Word Cup proved that. It was probably David Pleat and that other lad.

There is a fair bit of bombast from RTE, but I love it. I watch in eternal hope that Dunphy will bluntly tell it like it is, wildly exaggerate matters or, hopefully, flip out. Agreed, the panel went over the top, but the inability of Liverpool to maintain possession in the second half should be a worry to any fan. This is especially true when you consider they had 5 midfield. Incidentally, I think that that was a poor tactical decision from the manager.

I should never doubt Strachan. :) He's playing McGeady in a central role tonight. Playing very well. Kaka absolutely class again. Milan's 2 best chances were ruled offside. Other than that few real chances. 45 minutes flew by. Celtic should have had a peno but I'm happy with 0-0 at half time.

btw - Encouraging from an Irish point of view that O'Dea is giving out the orders tonight, even to Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

United playing sh*te.... Need to up the performance if we don't wanna concede.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Funny one from the BBC web thing

Cristiano Ronaldo goes into the book for a dive in the Lille box. He takes the news about as well as a small child who has just had his bag of sweets taken from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah Utd. are playing sh1te alright.

Dunphy giving out again. How come as far as Rooney is concerned it's the management at Utd. and England's fault that Rooney is off form but with the likes of Ronaldinho it's because he's not interested?
    Funny that Giles wouldn't even comment on Ronaldo. Proabably due to the amount of stick he's getting for sounding like a scratched record.

Fairplay to Celtic. Hopefully they'll nick a goal inthe second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hope come there's no CL on SSX tonight. I thought there was only one match they couldn't show a week, not two.

There I was looking forward to watching Bayern-Real. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Bayern can hang on anyway....and good luck to Lille, Milan and PSV. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm looking forwards the the panel thrashing Utd if they stumble to a 0-0 draw or loose by the a goal.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Arsenal 1-0 PSV

Alex OG.....again

• Advertisement

Blatant peno for PSV not given.

Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hleb's reluctance to shoot is seriously p1ssing me off. TH14 just on - happy days.

Bayern going through 2-0 now, thats 4-3 with two away goals.

Larson scores :( Boo.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Roddy23 wrote:
    Hleb's reluctance to shoot is seriously p1ssing me off. TH14 just on - happy days.

ya seriosuly pisses me off to!:mad: He gets in great positions and then jus passes! Damn I wish my lift would come a bit quicker!:(

Go on the Henke! :D:D:D

United 1-0 Lille

Alan Smith just came on for Larrsson

Bye bye Arsenal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bye bye Madrid aswell. Great save by Boruc.

Bullsh1t - wtf was Hleb doing over there. I fcukin knew when he fouled them that theyd score. Headwrecker.

Maldini nearly scored, then went straight down the other end and had claims for a peno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

that's Arsenal out now. As much as they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Zebra3 wrote:
    Blatant peno for PSV not given.

Shocking.

I refer you to posts 32 and 87 :D

PSV nearly scored again!!!

Kaka just hit the post, great end to the match.

that's Arsenal out now. As much as they deserved.

Are you even watching this match?

Richardson booked for the Lille player following through and kicking him :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Roddy23 wrote:
    Are you even watching this match?
    yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Bayern V Madrid game is pure quality

Arsenal game over. 1-1 result. :D

Sky Sports 2 are to show the Milan extra-time now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

is the celtic game on anywhere for extra time?

edit: never mind, got it on sky sports 2 via red button.

its on Setanta sports too.

• Advertisement

Yes!!!! 1-0 Milan!!!

Take that plastic paddys!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

good goal.

He ran pretty much unchallenged from the halfway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ul Celtic. At least we are through anyway, that Silvestre injury looked nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

United really have to up their act in the quarter final. Yet another sub-par European performance. Ah well, in the draw for the first time in a couple of years, it's all good.
    Hope Silvestre recovers from that nasty fall. It looked like he hit his face off the ground on his way down. It was hard to see what he injured, when they were taking him off the were holding his arm and leaning him to his left side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just heard on ss that Maakays goal for Bayern after 10 secs was scored after Real had the tip off. wtf? it takes special talent to conced the fastest ever cl goal after you have the tip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

So we have three English teams, two Italian teams, one Spanish, German and Dutch team.

How do people arrive at the conclusion that Spanish football is the best in Europe?

So we have three English teams, two Italian teams, one Spanish, German and Dutch team.

How do people arrive at the conclusion that Spanish football is the best in Europe?
    The premiership is without doubt the strongest league but it's terribly boring.

Anyway, I think I can start getting excited about Darren O'Dea now. Just turned 20 and leading the line already.

I actually feel sorry for Celtic but another case of loads of endevour but little end product.

Here's hoping for PSV in the quarters.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

As much as I'd hate to see Pool or United fans harping on about how great their team is...

I would like to see an English team draw PSV and go through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bugger !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I enjoyed that round of the CL, had a lot of drama and tension.

So can English teams be drawn together in the next round? A united vs Liverpool would be fun!

Yes its an open draw. It takes place on Friday from 10.30 I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Draw for the quarters:

Ac Milan
    Roma
    Bayern Munich
    PSV
    Valencia
    United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

PSV are definately the weakest team left and I'd probably take Milan in the draw too. But the other 5 teams would all be really tough draws. As long as Liverpool avoid both Chelsea and United I'll be reasonably happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

my Draw predictions

Ac Milan v Bayern Munich
    Roma v PSV
    Chelsea v United :o hopefully not
    Valencia v Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Valencia and Liverpool would be a tasty one indeed. A return for Rafa. I think Chelsea would beat United in the quarters for the simple fact that Man Utds form of late has been at best, scuttery. Plus losing Larsson with Saha likely to miss the quarters is a blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Heh, we're doing draw predictions now? Lets guess the lotto or have a game of Bingo while we're at it! Just taking the piss, personally i dont care who liverpool get- fancy our chances against anyone.

That being said i don't necesarilly think we'll get through. Anyone could get knocked out. Heck even PSV could win the bloody thing!

Kinda happy Arsenal are out though- they've knocked us out of too many competitions this year as it stands.
    Been a bad couple of weeks for them though, lost the final of the carling cup, got knocked out of the FA cup and now the CL. Great potential in the squad provided they can keep it all together though. Adebayor need to learn how to finish too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Another typical night for Arsenal.
    PSV are no pushovers. They have a good record in this comp.
    If your team plays badly they will expose you.

Hoping for a united liverpool 1/4

Not many great teams in it this year. One of the most open CL in a long time.
    Munich could be dark horses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Heh, we're doing draw predictions now? Lets guess the lotto or have a game of Bingo while we're at it! Just taking the piss, personally i dont care who liverpool get- fancy our chances against anyone.

I would like a liverpool draw for UNited because they are an easy win:p

Advertisement