Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please on going back to study

Options
  • 05-03-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Ok befoe december I applied to Liverpool Hope University to do a degree in computer networking. I myself currently work in what I think is a pretty dead end job. I will be 27 this year. i work in a call center doing techical support and find myself board and frustrated. I am doing an MCSA at present but would like to get furter in life. I got my responce back from the University today and they accpeted me? What do you think should I go back to full time education? Its only a 3 year degree. My partents think my job is good and I should stick doing it. But Iwould like to get a better job and career. Has anybody any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I left a job a couple of years ago to study architectural technology (i'm now 39 :eek: ). Luckily enough my wife was very supportive and we have managed so far. Talk to your family and explain to them where you are now and where you want to be. Ultimately, the decision is yours. My advice would be to go for it as you seem pretty determined. While you may get certain grants/funding, please be aware that it takes time to adjust to the fact that you no longer have a steady income. Also, there will be the initial culture shock of being back at college but you will soon get used to it. There is some good information here. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jjbrien wrote:
    My partents think my job is good and I should stick doing it. But Iwould like to get a better job and career. Has anybody any advise?

Parents always think like that. Only last night my wife mentioned to my mother that I might at some stage in the future pack in my public sector job to do my dream job. To say my mother was flabbergasted was an understatement (I'm 33, btw).

The bottom line is what makes you happy. As someone who was in a job they hated for a long time, I can certainly sympathise. 3 years at 27 years old is nothing. The time will fly and you will get a decent qualification. And when you come back into the real world looking for a job, you will already have valuable experience under you belt, so you won't be confined to entry-level, graduate jobs.

On a side note, have you considered doing a degree part-time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cashelman

I definatley think you should go back to college.
    I was in the same position as you. I worked ina call
    centre, same thing day in, day out, and I felt like I was going
    nowhere, my salary wasnt great, promotions that I wanted required
    third level degree, and the promotions I didnt want werent the only one's
    I was accepted for. I was bored and incredibly unhappy as a result.
    So I went back to college after thinking about it for about a year. :confused:

My parents said the exact same thing, and gave it the " well, if you give up your job to do this, we wont be supporting you financially, you have a good job ect". !! They did through the years support me when money was tight!
    The hardest decision was finally leaving, the uncertainty of college life, adjusting to living on a budget, made me think twice often, but once I made the decision, much against my parents and some friends advice, it was the best decision I ever made. I sold my car & packed my bags & have never looked back.

Its now 2 years on from finishing college, I have a great job,(compared to what I had back then) almost twice the salary and everyday is different for me which I like(unlike the call centre!). Yes Im still paying off my student loan but it was worth every penny of it. I feel I have a greater quality of life now, I actually enjoy my job, something I thought I would never say!!
    If I had listened to my parents I would still be in that same job & probably prescribed antidepressants!:eek:

I think you should do it ,based on my experience. It can take a while to get back into the swing of studying/coursework but you'll get there.
    It may take a month or 2 to settle in , it took me about 3 months.:D
    Remember to look at tuition fees, It may be cheaper to do it here,
    (think I remember somethin on bbc about increased course fee's in uk,)
    Even if you dont go to liverpool, there's always the CAO/mature student route here.

The decision is yours, make sure you do what you think is best for you.
    A third level qualification opens many doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

cashelman wrote:
    I definatley think you should go back to college.
    I was in the same position as you. I worked ina call
    centre, same thing day in, day out, and I felt like I was going
    nowhere, my salary wasnt great, promotions that I wanted required
    third level degree, and the promotions I didnt want werent the only one's
    I was accepted for. I was bored and incredibly unhappy as a result.
    So I went back to college after thinking about it for about a year. :confused:

My parents said the exact same thing, and gave it the " well, if you give up your job to do this, we wont be supporting you financially, you have a good job ect". !! They did through the years support me when money was tight!
    The hardest decision was finally leaving, the uncertainty of college life, adjusting to living on a budget, made me think twice often, but once I made the decision, much against my parents and some friends advice, it was the best decision I ever made. I sold my car & packed my bags & have never looked back.

Its now 2 years on from finishing college, I have a great job,(compared to what I had back then) almost twice the salary and everyday is different for me which I like(unlike the call centre!). Yes Im still paying off my student loan but it was worth every penny of it. I feel I have a greater quality of life now, I actually enjoy my job, something I thought I would never say!!
    If I had listened to my parents I would still be in that same job & probably prescribed antidepressants!:eek:

I think you should do it ,based on my experience. It can take a while to get back into the swing of studying/coursework but you'll get there.
    It may take a month or 2 to settle in , it took me about 3 months.:D
    Remember to look at tuition fees, It may be cheaper to do it here,
    (think I remember somethin on bbc about increased course fee's in uk,)
    Even if you dont go to liverpool, there's always the CAO/mature student route here.

The decision is yours, make sure you do what you think is best for you.
    A third level qualification opens many doors.

Thanks cashman I think I willy proberly do it. I know I am entitled toa grant its not much but should pay the rent. My life currently feels like I am going no where fast. A degree is the key to a good job and I could always work in a call centre during college. The thing about the course I want to do in Liverpool is its not offered here. Also the rent is cheaper and the cost of living is way less. Ok there is the student fees to take in but I have added it up and its cheaper over there. So here goes nothing. Time to get out of the rut and wake up to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jjbrien wrote:
    Time to get out of the rut and wake up to life.

That's the key to it. You can't go on living an unhappy life. It may be a struggle for a while, but ultimately it will be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

jjbrien wrote:
    Thanks cashman I think I willy proberly do it. I know I am entitled toa grant its not much but should pay the rent. My life currently feels like I am going no where fast. A degree is the key to a good job and I could always work in a call centre during college. The thing about the course I want to do in Liverpool is its not offered here. Also the rent is cheaper and the cost of living is way less. Ok there is the student fees to take in but I have added it up and its cheaper over there. So here goes nothing. Time to get out of the rut and wake up to life.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could study part time and work too for a year then change to being a full time student if you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I turned 50 while I was at college. I had no formal qualifications before but now I have a great job. In many ways its much easier to be a mature student, you have life experience, you are focussed and are used to the discipline of work. Good luck!

Advertisement