Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lovin' it? The new RTÉ 2fm

• 06-03-2007 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

RTÉ 2fm's new schedule premiered today... Any thoughts on the new line-up?

I've never enjoyed listening to 2fm that much over the past couple of years, but where credit's due, it's a step in the right direction. Rick O'Shea sounded comfortable today, and Will Leahy was always going to be a treat. What say you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I only heard bits of it, but so far so good. I like the breakfast show, those two are funny.
    Rick O'Shea is great too, always thought he should have been on earlier in the day. Didn't catch Will yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Gotta say its starting to look and fell like it should. Rick O Shea is great and Colm and Jim Jim rock! Did anyone hear Black Betty the other morning, great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

bbability wrote:
    Did anyone hear Black Betty the other morning, great stuff!
    Yeah that was mad.. I've never heard that on radio.. Ever!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

Does anybody feel RTÉ 2FM are trying to mimick BBC Radio One.

Eg.

RTÉ News --> Newsbeat

Various Changes of Formats, Styles and Presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think the news jingle where they mention DAB etc. is very similar to one 5Live have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

petals wrote:
    Yeah that was mad.. I've never heard that on radio.. Ever!!:D

I guarantee Phantom have played it more than once! :)

roxy wrote:
    I guarantee Phantom have played it more than once! :)
    Aye but I never listen to Phantom being from outside the Pale!! :lol:
    Seriously though talking about this schedule change..
    At first I thought some of it was not so good but it's seriously grown on me.. The first morning I heard some of the jokes one the breakfast show I thought it was rubbish but lately been listening to the best bits on saturdays and it's hi-larious.
    I mostly listen to 2fm in work on weekdays and what I hear from any of the dj's is brill. Well done guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Eg.

RTÉ News --> Newsbeat

Colm & Jim = Chris Moyles

Will Leahy = Scott Mills

Ruth Scott = Jo Whiley (Yeah I know, but it's RTE)

The problem though is that the station is aimed at 15-34s and they still give slots to Gerry Ryan, Avril Hoare, John Clarke etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I think its fair to say that only for the fact that John Clarke is the controller, he would never have a slot on 2fm, or for that fact, any radio station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

What is the age range of RTÉ Radio 1, or is there even an "age range"?
    Are the aforementioned on 2FM as theres nowhere to fit them into Radio 1?

If you're outside Dublin 9am-12noon is a bit of a boring time if its music you seek on National Radio as both Today FM and 2FM are talk shows although Today FM probably isnt to be in the same way 2FM is.

Is there a stipulation anywhere that "speech" has to be part of a primarily music based station?

2FM has lots of good presenters, all squirrelled away at the Weekend. I find Dave Redmond and Michael Cahill good to listen to as well as Aidan Leonard wasted hidden away on a Sunday evening.

I think its time tor another national RTÉ FM station along the same lines as the BBC as theres being too much crammed into what exists already.

Sorry if this appears as a rant. Im actually quite happy as Martin King isnt on the wireless today.:) Bob Conway replacing.

• Advertisement

RadioCity wrote:
    Is there a stipulation anywhere that "speech" has to be part of a primarily music based station?
    I think it's to do with the fact that there is a certain amount of time that they're meant to fill up with current affairs/news etc and that some of these talk shows fill that to some extent.. I could be entirely wrong on that but that's just what I thought they were their for.
    RadioCity wrote:
    2FM has lots of good presenters, all squirrelled away at the Weekend. I find Dave Redmond and Michael Cahill good to listen to as well as Aidan Leonard wasted hidden away on a Sunday evening.
    I agree the weekend presenters are really good but then again so are the weekday presenters give or take one or two imo :lol: I think though that the weekend seems to be aimed at an older audience than weekdays just the music at the weekends seems somewhat older than during the week.. Maybe it's just my imagination though :lol:

radioman wrote:
    I think its fair to say that only for the fact that John Clarke is the controller, he would never have a slot on 2fm, or for that fact, any radio station

Why not? I think he's quite good with Ireland's biggest jukebox! Why shouldn't he have a slot on radio?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

petals wrote:
    I think it's to do with the fact that there is a certain amount of time that they're meant to fill up with current affairs/news etc and that some of these talk shows fill that to some extent.. I could be entirely wrong on that but that's just what I thought they were their for.

Ah, the provision of the Radio and Television Act 1988 requiring 20% news and currrent affairs doesn't actually apply to RTÉ! As a public service broadcaster, they do need to put a certain amount of PSB content on RTÉ 2FM to justify its existance (or at least, their operation of it), hence Newsbeat.

Re Radio 1, its mixed network output dates back to the days of Radio Éireann and is basically an anomoly at this stage. My own feeling is that Radio 1 needs to be split into two services - one an all speech station that would be current affairs/breaking news driven (ie, basically an Irish Five Live) and the other a country-and-Irish/MORM/oldies station that would have the Risin' Time / Late Date style programming. The music station could take over the FM frequencies and the speech driven station the AM frequencies. Not sure RTÉ would have the guts (or the money) for such a radical overhaul though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

RadioCity wrote:
    Aidan Leonard wasted hidden away on a Sunday evening.
    He used to be in the weeknight 10-midnight slot. Anyone remember the Great Pyjama Challenge? The Cruise to Snooze?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Eg.

RTÉ News --> Newsbeat

I remember in 1993, listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon on BBC Radio 1, him and his crew were doing something or other, cant remember exactly but it was just chatting, impromptu.

A few weeks later, Gareth O'Callaghan and John Kenny did the exact same thing, as they heard a tape and mimicked the whole ****ing thing.

How devoid of ideas can you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

radioman wrote:

He used to do 2FM's Metal Show long before he became controller, and it was bloody good from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Nah you're getting him mixed up with John Kenny, a fantastic presenter I agree...

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/dirtydozen/

Whereas this is the aforementioned Mr Clarke...

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/johnclarke/

face not even for radio I'm sure you'll agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Weird, I always get the two Johns mixed up too :confused:

Advertisement