Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams not doing so well

Options
  • 06-03-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

For a while I noticed that everytime I went into Debenhams that it was alot quiter than Roches would ever have been.
    Then Last week I started talking to a woman who works in Debenhams in Limerick and her first cousin is head of Debenhams in Dublin. She was telling me that Debenhams since taking over Roches haven't been doing so well in the old Roches Shops and that they might only give it five years or less before pulling out.
    Does anyone here have any reasons on why they aren't doing so well?
    I myself think people are just boycotting it in their own little way because they preferred Roches

Ps. I would also like to know does anyone here know was the mosaic floor at the entrance to Roches a protected feature, because when I was in town in on Friday I saw them removing this tiling and tbh it really f**king annoyed me because I always felt this would be a little reminder of a bygone era in years to come. I always thought they'd leave it there because you often see over buildings such as Benneton on Sarsfield Street the stone "Bank" sign and I thought the 1970s Roches Mosaic would be there to stay. :(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Not surprised theyre doing poorly...the stock they have is terrible. The menswear section is terrible and pales in comparison to Debenhams in the UK. Dont think anything in that building is protected as it was only built in the 50's/60's as far as I know. Its not exactly a great building anyway (but I suppose its a bit better thaan BT's ugly yoke). Could be wrong there but as far as I know its not that old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Debenhams has good and bad days, some better than Roches, some not as good. they're really cost cutting on the staff, which is why the atmosphere in there doesn't inspire shopping, however the marketing side of thisng is bringing it up a bit now...Roches would still be there if they had invested in marketing...I think for what you're getting for your money Roches was better and BT has a better €/quality ratio...the new lines in Dbeenhams aren't the best, having said that there's a lot of quality stuff too. A lot of people will now shop in Dunnes too or go to tony connolly's.....staff morale isn't the best but is improving as we adjust...town as a whole doesn't seem so busy anymore.

That said Debenhams are in Sale or Promotion between 42-45 weeks every year so there's deals to be had and there is some good quality gear in the homewares side of things, blankets, duvet's and the like...a lot better than what Roches would have had...but I would see Shaws in particular gaining from the menswear market as Debenhams are selling the *exact* same stock in some cases at 10-20% more...and just looking at price tags will tell you that.

A Food department would see it lasting, but I don't see them being there in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vkid wrote:
    Not surprised theyre doing poorly...the stock they have is terrible. The menswear section is terrible and pales in comparison to Debenhams in the UK. Dont think anything in that building is protected as it was only built in the 50's/60's as far as I know. Its not exactly a great building anyway (but I suppose its a bit better thaan BT's ugly yoke). Could be wrong there but as far as I know its not that old

I thought the original deal was that Roches Stores retained ownership of all their premises and Debenhams only leased the space from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I quiet like the look of the Debenhams in Limerick, the colour suits it (im no girl or anything but ya know...) ya the BT building is a disgrace hopefully they will do something with it

bazz26 wrote:
    I thought the original deal was that Roches Stores retained ownership of all their premises and Debenhams only leased the space from them?

This is true, but I suppose the mosaic was just being pedantic...on that...I've seen 2 people slip already in the "non slip" new "shower" tiles they put down instead, they look ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Debenhams in Limerick looks like a run down thrift shop. The decor is cheap, the displays are cheap and it certainly wouldn't inspire anyone to spend money. The mens dept looks like a bargain basement.
    The Debs in Dublin is fab. It's more like the interior of BT's and people will spend in an atmosphere like that.
    If they want people to spend money they are going to have to invest in their decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

sorry I meant the outside
    Ive never been inside and have no intention on going inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Crea wrote:
    The mens dept looks like a bargain basement.

So true!

What do you expect....look at the ceiling the next time you go to the BT basement...it's the same but disguised by lighting...and that's afte €1m investment in less than 2000 sq. feet

The Debs floor is AFAIK the same one that was there when the Roches Supermarket was there...I know a number of customers have complained to the management about the decor and crowded layout...fine if the Roches prices stood, but they don't!!!

There is now a personal shopper though...doing quite well too

Advertisement