Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

...ok, I give up, help on 7 seaters.........

Options
  • 06-03-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

......I'm all google/autotradered/carzoned/cbg'd out.............

I need a 7 seater, secondhand, high spec. Minimum of diesel, leather. The usual suspects are/were Galaxy/Sharan/Alahambra/Grand Scenic/Avensis Verso, etc.

So, the Sharalaxy bunch have a whole host of niggles, apparently, the Scenic's - the new keyless generation - have their own. Avensiiiiii ....well, no leather, no climate, no auto. And overpriced.

For instance, the Renault Grand Scenic is, at least on paper, the best. But if it is, why are there 78 Grand Scenic's for sale on Carzone already, when the model is barely 2 yrs old.............? and 101 Galaxies............and 22k for a 75k mile, 5 yr old Avensis??

So, informed opinions from ye, as I'm exhausted.........btw, not afraid of Renault's, generally, having had 2 new and 1 s/hand in the last 5 years, but the general over-reliance on electronics is getting me down........and it's not unique to any one brand..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered a Caravelle? What sort of moolah do you have to play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

New C4 Picasso doesn't look too shabby although I'm sure all the Euro Bashers will be along any minute to poo poo it! Does have a lot of the oul' lectronics mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say you're being overly pessimistic. If you can find any 7 seater with the right spec and it has good service history, has signs of being well looked after, low number of owners etc. then go for it.

Grand Scenic is smaller than the others listed, It's in the Zafira/Corolla Verso/Touran class.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tbh there are a lot of every make of car for sale ( ones that actually sell of course). There are thousands of people in thi country changing cars every year or two, a lot of them just trading in and buying a new one of what they had.

Lets use one of the makes that finish top of surveys etc, Toyota, there are 728 2006 toyota models for sale. More than likely the vast majority are tip top (even allowing for iffy drivers, so a few might need a new clutch :) ).

A/c / climate control seems to be readily available here, but leather in the people carrier segment doesnt really. The missus was buying her scenic last year and I dont remember seeing 1 with leather (possibly 1 rx4). I've seen a few uk ones on ebay with leather though.

What about an espace? leather is sparce there too though. Maybe going to the uk is an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Corolla Verso? The Mk1 is a bit frumpy looking though.

Ford C-Max? Bit small maybe. S-Max is probably too new.

Toyota Previa?

Hyundai Trajety?

Nissan Prairie? :)

Corolla Verso Mk1 and C-max both 5 seaters maidhc!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

this...the aunt's had 3 of these (LX) and just got the new body Ghia last month...which no longer has standard leather!!!!

edit:linky

colm_mcm wrote:
    Corolla Verso Mk1 and C-max both 5 seaters maidhc!

my bad. I assumed no one would bother making a car this shape and then only fit 5 seats.

• Advertisement

Have you heard of the Renault Scenic?

(woohoo 4000 posts!)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Have you heard of the Renault Scenic?

(woohoo 4000 posts!)

That too?

So why did so many people buy it rather than a half normal looking hatch, or estate? :confused:

Dont know about the others but the scenic gives a high roof line with lots of headroom. Has 3 individual seats in the back, so you can completely remove 1, 2 or3 of them ( I got 2 pvc hall doors in the missus' one). Big boot,again much higher than a standard boot. We often have the rear middle seat out as there is rarley more than 3 in the car, it gives loads of shoulder room for the 2 remaining back seats and feels like you in a front seat. Also allows the 2 remaining seats to recline.

Just a few reasons. Most of which arent very apparent when buying but more pleasent things you come across. So not sure why people buy new. The high drivign position is favoured by women aswell.

Stekelly wrote:
    Dont know about the others but the scenic gives a high roof line with lots of headroom

Not as much as the current Yaris, I hit the ceiling in the Scenic not in the Yaris though

ninty9er wrote:
    Not as much as the current Yaris, I hit the ceiling in the Scenic not in the Yaris though

You must be huge or have the seat in the most raised position. I'm 5'11 and must have 7 or 8 inches clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

GalwayTT,

Like you I spent ages trying to sort which 7 seater to purchase about two years ago. I ended up going to UK and buying a 2001 Galaxy TD GHIA (wasn't doing all that travelling without getting full spec'). Have three kids and find it's fantastic. There's loads of space for all including me (I'm 6'4'" btw) - we do a lot of travelling and once you have roofbox and portable DVD player (common in some of the second hand UK models) for the kids, you won't go wrong.

Friend of mine has the new model Galaxy and I would rather the older one.

Another friend of mine also purchased the new Trajet two weeks ago and its already gone in for new clutch believe it or not !!!!

Can't speak for any of the other models - but I wouldn't move from the Galaxy

Have fun and the best o' luck,

Spfeno

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would say the most common 7 seater MPV with leather would be the Chrysler Voyager or Grand Voyager. Dowside is that the diesel is unrefined, the petrol is an alcoholic, build quality is standard American and the Euro NCAP safety results are shocking. Other choices would be the Hyundai Trajet or Kia Sedona.

Alternatively get leather fitted aftermarket, would cost a small fortune to get done on a 7 seater though.

Stekelly wrote:
    You must be huge or have the seat in the most raised position. I'm 5'11 and must have 7 or 8 inches clearance.

Well it was the old model and i founf the headroom satisfactory...but then again I sit upright as opposed to leaning shoulders foreward when driving...was better than the corsa but not as good as the yaris... I have 6-8 cm clearance in the Yaris

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

VO13.jpg

can seat 7 ( well 10 actually if ye have a more lax regulatory system, ie PNG)

see if ye can find the 4.2 turbodiesel version, way cooler than a Galaxy,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

from sniffpetrol

AdVoyager.jpg

Podge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not looking for full size 7-seater unless priced reasonably, prefer Touran/Scenic/Verso sized, as it'll be a 4/5 seater 95% of the time - extra capacity is only for occasional use.

Max engine 2.0, diesel. New cars not on the radar - btdt already. Several times, so am looking at 04 onwards for midsize, 01 onwards if I absolutely have to, for larger ones..........

UK not a prob, so am browsing Galaxy 130TD c/w leather/media etc, seem to reasonable, but don't know anything about the quality of them......

btw, currently drive an RX4Dci with no probs, and with all the toys - can't fault it, really, but need more space..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just bought a 03 Spacewagon 2.0 petrol with 33,000 miles on it.Full main dealer service history.€16,000

Out of all the seven seaters we test drove it was the nicest drive.
    As for space its main use is a 5 seater all week and only used as a seven(well six) seater at weekends when the mother in law stays.
    Fuel economy is better than the 2.0 petrol Santa fe we had before it doing roughly 25-27 mpg.Santa Fe was lucky to get 20 :)

Might be worth a look if you can get a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I know a guy who had a Ford Galaxy that spontaneously combusted while he was in Mass, I am not joking !!!!!

How about a Fiat Multipla. (I know it is a six seater, but would meet the criteria in the OP's most recent post).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

leather in MPV's are rare, most notably on the bigger ones like Previa, Voyager, etc.
    You might have to drop it from your wish list if you want to find something in the smaller mpv size.
    We just picked up a '05 Corolla Verso 2.0D Sol spec. Its got climate & cruise control but no leather but the seats are very good quality. I'm told we were lucky to find one here but there were a good few T3 specs up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

How about this... http://www.cargiant.ie/cars/detail.asp?Id=320855
    A proper 7 seater, although it doesnt have leather.

Seems a good bargain, fully landed for €30k incl. VRT and they appear to be going for high €30k - early €40k on carzone....

bazz26 wrote:
    Alternatively get leather fitted aftermarket, would cost a small fortune to get done on a 7 seater though.

Seeing as leather is much more common in the uk, getting hold of a 2nd hand set of leather seats might not be that hard, especially in something like a scenic where the seats are very easily removed. I've come across a few sets of seats and door cards etc on ebay for various makes and models.

3 grand would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Here are 16 in a car supermarket in London. If you get a 6.30 flight from DUB to LHR you can be back in Dublin by 1900.http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search.asp

Advertisement