Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who deserves your number 1 vote in the general election this time around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Passport wrote:
    Get off your high hourse.

Why is everyone thinking so selfishly, should we not be voting in people who are good for the country rather than our petty city(maybee if we voted like this we would have some respectable candidates), and I pity ye if your excuse is that everyone else is doing it, or we have been left behind during this period of economic growth crap,

If you read the post properly you will see that the comments are directed at someone who DOESN'T vote? That explain it for you? In an ideal world we wopuld vote for those who are good for the country, as you put it.

However, when you look west and northwest from this county you see places like Cork, Kerry, Limerick, and Galway who put their county first and country second.

It seems to have worked for them.;) I suggest we do the same. Martin Cullen is a good example of what true power does at the Cabinet table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jasser27

they only care about you when elections are on,couldnt give a **** about any of them bar john halligan....hes not pretentious and he does listen.you could do worse,thats if youre at all bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jasser27 wrote:
    they only care about you when elections are on,couldnt give a **** about any of them bar john halligan....hes not pretentious and he does listen.you could do worse,thats if youre at all bothered

I presume you've spoken to all the candidates then?
    What did Mary Roche and Brian O'Shea say to you when you spoke to them for example?

You did speak to all of them to figure they only care at election time...... didnt you?.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Passport wrote:
    Get off your high hourse.

Why is everyone thinking so selfishly, should we not be voting in people who are good for the country rather than our petty city(maybee if we voted like this we would have some respectable candidates), and I pity ye if your excuse is that everyone else is doing it, or we have been left behind during this period of economic growth crap,

I'd love to live in a world where facilities are delivered to Waterford as a matter of course and we can safely turn our minds to the great political questions of the day. But we just don't have that luxury. With only 4 seats, compared to the 8 in Limerick and 9 in Galway, iirc., we really have to make the most of them, and yes, be somewhat cynical, because if we slip up, I don't see our 'friends' in Kilkenny or Wexford picking up the slack for us.

County boundaries have ****ed up politics in Ireland.

I've heard a good few people talking about voting for John Deasy. Can anyone share their own reasons for doing this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but he will never be able to do anything for this city,

A) because he has been seen to prioritise the county to the detriment of the city,

B) The powers the FG would die of laughter if they got into government and he asked for a proper job, and

C) They'd die of laughter if he asked for ANYTHING.. including money for the constituency.

Maybe I am being stupid, but why is he worth a vote?

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:
    I've heard a good few people talking about voting for John Deasy. Can anyone share their own reasons for doing this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but he will never be able to do anything for this city,

A) because he has been seen to prioritise the county to the detriment of the city,

B) The powers the FG would die of laughter if they got into government and he asked for a proper job, and

C) They'd die of laughter if he asked for ANYTHING.. including money for the constituency.

I agree with the above. Still there's something about him, he impressed me on the radio a few times. He seems to work very hard, and maybe, just maybe he'll come good.

Anyway, he'll be elected regardless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is Jim Darcy running as well? Another FG representative with a bit of controversy under his belt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

I'll go to my grave before I'll vote for Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Trotter wrote:

As a FF voter, I was very impressed with John when he started out in Irish politics. No nonsense, not afraid to talk his mind - the complete opposite to what was on offer here at the time. I saw in him great potential for Waterford City and County. I even considered voting for him. And then he pulls a childish publicity stunt when the smoking ban was introduced. When he didn't need to to. That finished me (and some others) with him.

I'll go to my grave before I'll vote for Sinn Fein.
    I'll be joining you. The day that the Shinners take power you can liquidate Ireland Inc. A sad fact.:(

Well... its on! May 24th is the day.

Lets keep an eye on the progress of our candidates over the next few weeks. I'd be interested to hear about their performances on the doorsteps and in face to face conversations etc.

Im leaning towards
    1 Mary Roche
    2 Brian O'Shea
    3 John Deasy (Only to make sure we have a TD on the govt side if FG/Lab get in)
    4 Martin Cullen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deasy hasnt many posters up compared to other FG candidates. None in Tramore. Whats with that?

Also, interesting to see vandalism of some of the posters that have appeared. Mainly Mary being targeted, but also others.

Sully wrote:
    Deasy hasnt many posters up compared to other FG candidates. None in Tramore. Whats with that?

Also, interesting to see vandalism of some of the posters that have appeared. Mainly Mary being targeted, but also others.

Maybe the other FG candidates needed the extra couple of weeks of individual publicity before Deasy steals the show.

What vandalism have you spotted? I havent seen any yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

If Fine Gael were to win the election and set up a government with whatever combination of parties there is no obvious candidate for a Waterford minister. John Deasy is unlikely to be given such a post by Enda Kenny as Deasy has often been a torn in his side and even tried to undermine him at one stage. I think it is fair to say that whether Waterford has a minister or not is of greater significance and makes a greater difference than which party is in power.

For me it has to be Martin Cullen, he is the only politician in my lifetime that has done anything of substance for Waterford. If any of the other three TD’s were never their it would make feck all difference.

Anyway, any vote that McCann doesn’t get is a good thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote:
    Maybe the other FG candidates needed the extra couple of weeks of individual publicity before Deasy steals the show.

What vandalism have you spotted? I havent seen any yet.

Down around Tramore, mainly one independents poster where she was reffered to as a "dog" in one act of vandalism.

Others were to one Fine Gael candidate.

Ollie Wilkinson has come out and said that he wants to see a 40,000 seater stadium in Waterford for the GAA. While I think thats absolute rubbish coming at a time where BS is flowing anyway, add that to him listing the University here as one of FF's achievements and he's making himself sound downright idiotic.

He knows well that there isnt a hope of building a 40000 seater stadium in Waterford in the next 5 years.

He also knows that there ISNT a University in Waterford!!

He's taking credit for the University in Waterford when there isnt one. My blood is boiling at the BS coming from this man over the past 6 weeks. :mad:

Trotter wrote:
    Ollie Wilkinson has come out and said that he wants to see a 40,000 seater stadium in Waterford for the GAA. While I think thats absolute rubbish coming at a time where BS is flowing anyway, add that to him listing the University here as one of FF's achievements and he's making himself sound downright idiotic.

He knows well that there isnt a hope of building a 40000 seater stadium in Waterford in the next 5 years.

He also knows that there ISNT a University in Waterford!!

He's taking credit for the University in Waterford when there isnt one. My blood is boiling at the BS coming from this man over the past 6 weeks. :mad:

Sure he's also taken credit for public radiotherapy at the WRH, and took credit for the Whitfield clinic treating public patients before Whitfield were even given the go-ahead to treat public patients. When these little facts are pointed out to him, he becomes indignant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Waterford City has a long history of electing dead ducks.Here is a few examples of our previous electoral representatives.

Wyse Bonaparte-I read the other day that when Queens Universities were established in Ireland it was a toss between Galway and Waterford.I can't remember the detail but WB could not argue the case sufficiently.I think he came across as eccentric and wasn't taken seriously.Queens Galway is present day NUI Galway.

John Redmond- Parnells successor,Largely a victim of destiny ie the radicalisation of Irish Politics post 1916.Forever associated with sending Irishmen to flanders and possibly the start of bias against Waterford by successive governments.

Jack Fahey- FF politician that held a junior cabinet position.Also at one time one of three FF TD's in a four seat constituency.

Billy Keneally-FF At the risk of offending someone who maybe related to the man I nelieve he did **** all for Waterford worth talking about.

Donal Ormonde-FF As above

Fad Browne-FF ditto

Eddie Collins-Had to resign due to inappropriate business activity while a serving TD

Paddy Gallagher-Workers Party.Combined with a lot of industrial unrest at the time may have given the impression of militancy in the city.

Brian O'Shea-Labour, Held a junior ministry and still managed to acheive nothing for Waterford.

Ollie Wilkenson-FF Enough said,

Brendan Keneally-Nice but dim and unfortumately no backbone

Martin Cullen-FF.Generated a hell of a lot of controversy.Not all deserved.However it is undeniable that Waterford has had more state investment because of this man than any other politician in our history.Unfortunately we may not see it again for another century if FF is not returned.Even if FF is returned his cabinet position is not secure unless he delivers Wilinson and/or Keneally.I think most of the electorate in Waterford know this and this is why it looks like he wil make it.Either way not voting for this Buffoon i.e voting for Keneally will split the vote and isolate Cullen.Or else voting for Cullinane which will also isolate Culen.

Cullinane,Darcy-are drips.Read their speeches in Waterford Today.

Our Country cousins,

Austin Deasy-FG held a cabinet position and secured Waterford regional hospital.Two FG TD's at ths time therfore securing Waterford a cabinet position.

John Deasy son of above-FG. Shot himself in the foot.No cabinet position because of his problems with Enda and because he will not deliver a second TD for FG.

I think due to our long history of electing donkeys you can see why Cullen is the only choice.Unfortunately that means Wilkinson as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Personally I would have liked to give my number 1 to Deasy, but his slide from young gun, up and coming terrier to that uncle no one likes to talk about cos of his mad stories has been quick and painful. He is a liability to himself and to the county, maybe when he 'matures' he'll just turn into another party hack dog doing tricks... Seriously wasted chance/talent. I just think now if I give him my number 1 what is it going to do for me/waterford/county and I don't think he can in reality deliever anything.

However in the back of my mind is a FG/Lab Government and as has been said elsewhere we [Waterford] are ****ed if that happens. So do you split your eggs into two baskets - or do you place them all in one basket ...

I think Cullen will be getting my number one, much as I dislike voting for FF, but I do think he's done well for Waterford... and doing well for Waterford is good for me ..

Just had a scan through the Green Manifesto. The word Waterford isnt in there at all. Surprise Surprise.

I had a chat with a Mary Roche campaign supporter this morning too. The feedback for her from the doorsteps would lead me to believe she has a very good chance.

mad man wrote:
    Waterford City has a long history of electing dead ducks.Here is a few examples of our previous electoral representatives.

Wyse Bonaparte-I read the other day that when Queens Universities were established in Ireland it was a toss between Galway and Waterford.I can't remember the detail but WB could not argue the case sufficiently.I think he came across as eccentric and wasn't taken seriously.Queens Galway is present day NUI Galway.

John Redmond- Parnells successor,Largely a victim of destiny ie the radicalisation of Irish Politics post 1916.Forever associated with sending Irishmen to flanders and possibly the start of bias against Waterford by successive governments.

Could disagree more regarding these examples. The only place I heard that version of events about Wyse was on wikipedia. From what I had read, he was a serious character who did sterling work to get the universities set up in Ireland. It's hard to argue about the geographical distribution if you can only fund 3 universities. Plus Waterford had other things, such as the port, which were more significant infrastructure at the time. From what I have read he was a very able politician, but admittedly, it's been a while since I read up on him.

And didn't John Redmond secure Home Rule prior to the war? If a certain Austrian gent had not been killed in Hungary or wherever, then things could have been very different. He could have been the man to get Ireland the same status as the other commonwealth nations, which may or may not have led to a republic, but at least would not have divided the island. This guy was a very able politician by all accounts, who ultimately had very bad luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From Today's Independent re Ollie Wilkinson
    =================================
    FIANNA Fail TD Ollie Wilkinson hopes to entice more young voters to the polls - by offering two tickets to the ****** music festival.

The Waterford deputy says the competition will make young people more aware of the importance of voting. Entrants must text 'Ollie' with their name to 086-8680002 before May 18.

====================================
    does anyone think that backbencher TD's and wanna be TD's going on Blogs and pulling these stunts are going to win the student vote when most will not be in their locales on election day!!

Bards wrote:
    From Today's Independent re Ollie Wilkinson
    =================================
    FIANNA Fail TD Ollie Wilkinson hopes to entice more young voters to the polls - by offering two tickets to the ****** music festival.

The Waterford deputy says the competition will make young people more aware of the importance of voting. Entrants must text 'Ollie' with their name to 086-8680002 before May 18.

====================================
    does anyone think that backbencher TD's and wanna be TD's going on Blogs and pulling these stunts are going to win the student vote when most will not be in their locales on election day!!

This sounds like desperation to me. I think he's finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Yep, they seem to be wasting their time on the student vote now that Bertie renaged on his promise and didn't hold the election on a Friday! That's Fianna Fail for ya, can't trust the bastards. :rolleyes:

Ollie's leaflet is a load of rubbish. The general idea is that he'll take credit for anything at all, bordering on the ridiculous.

Well if the vote was tomorrow, boards.ie would be electing Martin Cullen, John Deasy, Brian O'Shea and Mary Roche.

I'd settle for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

On the 1 o'clock news on WLR yesterday they said that their was two new election candidates. One was some anti-abortion holy Joe that made me slip into a coma, does anybody know who the other one was because I did not hear it or they never said.

On the 1 o'clock news on WLR yesterday they said that their was two new election candidates. One was some anti-abortion holy Joe that made me slip into a coma, does anybody know who the other one was because I did not hear it or they never said.

John Waters I think for some party you've never heard of. He ran before and got 100 votes or something... the equivalent of democratic background radiation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone ever watch the city channel? There was a debate between the different politicians on it today around 2 or 3. And they usually repeat everything so keep an eye on it.
    A bit painful to watch but just a heads up.
    I think it's only on NTL though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The strange thing is that the booklet that he got printed for the election (of which I got 3 in my letterbox in 3 days) must have cost thousands and thousands to print!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

merlante wrote:
    John Waters I think for some party you've never heard of. He ran before and got 100 votes or something... the equivalent of democratic background radiation.

LMAO :D

Advertisement