Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who deserves your number 1 vote in the general election this time around?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Maharet wrote:
    Yep, they seem to be wasting their time on the student vote now that Bertie renaged on his promise and didn't hold the election on a Friday! That's Fianna Fail for ya, can't trust the bastards. :rolleyes:

I don't get this.There is nothing to stop students voting by holding the election on the 24th.They are fully entitled to vote in the constituency they live in once they are registered.This is just the green gimp Trevor Sargeant getting on his morally superior soap box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mad man wrote:
    I don't get this.There is nothing to stop students voting by holding the election on the 24th.They are fully entitled to vote in the constituency they live in once they are registered.This is just the green gimp Trevor Sargeant getting on his morally superior soap box.

In fairness, it is difficult to get re-registered somewhere else, especially in the short time remaining to do so after the date was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

merlante wrote:
    In fairness, it is difficult to get re-registered somewhere else, especially in the short time remaining to do so after the date was announced.

Spot on. Also to register for postal voting you must register within three days of the dissolution of the Dail. Bertie heading king off to the Aras on a Sunday morning made sure one of these days was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roanmore wrote:
    Spot on. Also to register for postal voting you must register within three days of the dissolution of the Dail. Bertie heading king off to the Aras on a Sunday morning made sure one of these days was lost.

Not to mention the fact you have to go looking for a gard somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In fairness the deadline was extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

So who do we think the next government will be and is it affecting the way you are likely to vote ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Junior wrote:
    So who do we think the next government will be and is it affecting the way you are likely to vote ?

I think it could be a surprise package.. Possibly FF , Labour and Independents.

Interesting to see Ollie Wilkinson getting his posters up so late in the city. Maybe that shows his priorities.

Its still all to play for in Waterford I think. The lack of a PD candidate and a less dominant showing for Martin Cullen means there's floating votes available. Im looking forward to it!

Has anyone impressed anyone over the past few days? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Interesting to see Ollie Wilkinson getting his posters up so late in the city. Maybe that shows his priorities

This wasn't because of his "priorities" but moreso because he wasn't allowed by his party to publicise himself around Waterford City until the Waterford City FF Candidates (Cullen and Kennealy) had finished. Likewise, only in recent days have John Deasy posters been appearing in the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it that the city Candidates were banned form Dungarvan aswell under this agreement?

I'm mid county waterford and to be fair I've had only one person dropping leaflets in the door and that's been it. I think Enda is doing a sterling job in this election, however could anyone realistically bring themselves to vote for John Deasy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I was approached by a LAbour supporter today and asked to vote for Brian O'Shea. I told her that my personal beliefs would be very close to Labour but the last time I voted for them was in 1992 and they then went in to Government with FF. I said the same thing might happen this time. She just said sorry if you feel that way and that was it. Here was a real potential of a vote for her man and she let it go. No trying to persuade me or anything. Labour won't be getting my vote either this time, it will be John Halligan again, at least he shows his face in the constituency outside of election time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is there no green party candidate in waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Is there no green party candidate in waterford?

There is... Brendan McCann!

Christophicus, you obviously haven't being paying attention in class here on Boards.ie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOl I have to admit I completely skipped the second and 3rd pages of this thread . :D

I just looked at the top and didnt see any green candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Let us not speak of McCant.

For Feck sake Waterford.. we are so close to a balance of power situation for the independents! It'd make so much sense for us to elect an independent now.. we'd have pulling power like never before!!

Have we all cast our votes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Junior wrote:
    Have we all cast our votes ?

Yes, for Mary Roche, since to have an Independent in a balance-of-power situation would be great for Waterford. No doubt my second preference will end up being exercised, but no harm giving her a bit of support.

One thing I noticed is that there was a huge flow of people voting - more than I would normally have expected. When I tried to put my ballot paper into the box, I had to shove it in to the side, since the papers were coming right up to the slot.

Certainly confirms what we've been hearing on the radio and TV about a high turnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

We have. I'm just back from the polling station in Killea...been in there since 7 this morning. Eugh.

From what I've seen in the station I was clerking for, and heard, there was a LOT of people voting.

Went for Labour as my No. 1

Advertisement