Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish guitarist ever

• 06-03-2007 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Just decided to find out what the general consensus was on the top five Irish guitarists, I'm guessing it'll be a race between three for top spot but anyway here's my top five

5. Eric Bell

Well, he did write the Whiskey In The Jar riff and solo we all love so much, so he's gotta be in there. Rocker's another great track.

4. Pat McManus

Always blows me away when I see him play live. Apart from his obvious technical gift and ability as a showman, Mama's Boys had some great songs. Not to mention the fiddle solos! Nice guy too and great teacher - I know people he's thought and they are both amazing, extremely versatile and very tasteful players.

3. Gary Moore

Still Got The Blues is one of the most beautiful solos are ever composed. Parisienne Walkways is another obvious one. I love those bluesy melodies he always writes. Some cool rocky tracks like Walking By Myself. His solos always sound so big.

2. The Edge

Probably a controversial inclusion but I don't care, coz I believe songwriting is the most important part of being a musician, not seperate from it. And its not like he's just strumming chords, he takes chords and plays them in ways nobody else does, I love the melodies he plays.

1. Rory Gallagher

Obvious choice, but anway, he had to be no.1. So many great songs - Bought & Sold, Bad Penny, Tattoo'd Lady, Moonchild, Goin' To My Hometown, Bullfrog Blues, etc. he just and he always plays amazing solos. Great showman, would love to have seen him play live.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Alan Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Rory Gallagher.

</thread closed>

PS. The Edge is shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JC 2K3 wrote:
    PS. The Edge is shít.

Agreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Yep Edge is the laziest guitarist in the universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

eamon234 wrote:
    Yep Edge is the biggest pile of sh!te of a guitarist in the universe
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Vivian Campbell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Campbell

Probably Gary Moore would be my fav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

How come I haven't heard of Vivian Campbell's Irishness? Sure Holy Diver's one of my favourite albums ever, although I never really looked past Dio as being much more than RJD's solo project(Prob simply due to the name).... And I see on the Wiki page for Holy Diver he contributed to writing Caught in the Middle? Which I presume means he wrote the riff? I LOVE that riff.

*Puts Vivian Campbell 2nd on list of best Irish guitarists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement