Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best Irish guitarist ever

• 06-03-2007 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Just decided to find out what the general consensus was on the top five Irish guitarists, Yes, one of those options is a joke! I'm guessing it'll be a race between three for top spot but anyway here's my top five

5. Eric Bell

Well, he did write the Whiskey In The Jar riff and solo we all love so much, so he's gotta be in there. Rocker's another great track.

4. Pat McManus

Always blows me away when I see him play live. Apart from his obvious technical gift and ability as a showman, Mama's Boys had some great songs. Possibly Ireland's greatest metal band, although that's not saying much! Not to mention the fiddle solos! Nice guy too and great teacher - I know people he's thought and they are both amazing, extremely versatile and very tasteful players.

3. Gary Moore

Still Got The Blues is one of the most beautiful solos are ever composed. Parisienne Walkways is another obvious one. I love those bluesy melodies he always writes. Some cool rocky tracks like Walking By Myself. His solos always sound so big.

2. The Edge

Probably a controversial inclusion but I don't care, coz I believe songwriting is the most important part of being a musician, not seperate from it. And its not like he's just strumming chords, he takes chords and plays them in ways nobody else does, I love the melodies he plays.

1. Rory Gallagher

Obvious choice, but anway, he had to be no.1. So many great songs - Bought & Sold, Bad Penny, Tattoo'd Lady, Moonchild, Goin' To My Hometown, Bullfrog Blues, etc. he just rocks and he always plays amazing solos. Great showman, would love to have seen him play live.:(

Best Irish Guitarist 194 votes

Eric Bell
    0% 0 votes
    Vivian Campbell
    1% 3 votes
    Jim Corr
    0% 0 votes
    The Edge
    4% 8 votes
    Johnny Fean
    5% 10 votes
    Rory Gallagher
    0% 1 vote
    Henry McCullough
    71% 138 votes
    Pat McManus
    0% 0 votes
    Gary Moore
    3% 6 votes
    Tim Wheeler
    14% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Actually, I've seen Ash a few times and Tim Wheeler is a fúcking savage guitarist. Still voted for Rory G though obv.

EDIT: John Feeley anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I thought the joke was The Edge:D...honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Was a toss up between Gary Moore and vivian Campbell(never knew he was Irish til about 10 mins ago) but had to pick Gary Moore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I had to vote Rory, but Johnny Fean was a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Jim Corr all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

i voted for pat mcmanus because he is such a genuinely nice fella.iv had many a chat with him when i was both sober and disgustingly drunk yet he always has time for a chat. an unbelievable artist and musician. he also is a fabulous fiddle player as mentioned above. but i think rory is number in a more world wide impact level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChainFireMetal

The Edge?
    come on man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The Edge?
    come on man...

Meh, he's the guy who got me started playing guitar and the fact I realised his songs are easy to play doesn't diminish his value in my eyes. He's written so many great riffs that I love. Although not in the last decade or more, I admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

RG with pat mcManus second, hes a great guitarist and a geuinely nice guy saw him in waterford in october fantastic show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

So which one is the joke? Jim Corr or Tim Wheeler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

2. The Edge

Probably a controversial inclusion but I don't care, coz I believe songwriting is the most important part of being a musician, not seperate from it. And its not like he's just strumming chords, he takes chords and plays them in ways nobody else does, I love the melodies he plays.

With loads of crappy effects.

Its gotta be Rory.

Double C wrote:
    So which one is the joke? Jim Corr or Tim Wheeler?
    I don't like Tim Wheeler either but I thought someone would wanna vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Im surprised you even have to ask.

And seriously wtf is the edge doing on the list?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tim Wheeler plays some good guitar, he's not some crazy lead guitarist but he plays better than most artists in that niche on 1977 for someone so young at the time. And leave the slaggins of the edge out of it, you guys are talking through yer arses. Write riffs half as legendary as him before you start spouting.

I wonder if any of you guys are "better" than the edge, or what you define "better" as. Jesus he's only one the most famous Irish guitarists in the world. Ya must be kids playing One on yer squiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giblet wrote:
    I wonder if any of you guys are "better" than the edge, or what you define "better" as. Jesus he's only one the most famous Irish guitarists in the world. Ya must be kids playing One on yer squiers.

Ronin Keatings one of the most famous Irish singers,so what?

The Edge is an average guitarist at best.Writings great riffs as you think he does would maybe make him a great song writer.Anyway this is always going to happen in a whos the best thread but to be fair,wtf is The Edge doing on the list?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Rory Gallagher, no contest :)

adox wrote:

The Edge is an average guitarist at best.Writings great riffs as you think he does would maybe make him a great song writer.

Songwriting is the most crucial part of being a musician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Songwriting is the most crucial part of being a musician.

Its not actually, sure alot of great musicians were great songwriters too, some of the most famous songs in recent history were not written by the singer. Robbie Willams- Angels for example or jimi Hendrix's version of all along the watchtower(i know its not recent but jimi didn't write it)

Thin Lizzy's version if Whiskey in the Jar, i know they revamped it with the music but they didn't write it.

so its good if your a songwriter but its not the most important part.

Having talent and being able to play or sing is the most important part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how can to op compare rory gallagher with the edge,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Where's Christy Moore on this list? :D

I'm voting for Joe Dolan and the Drifters anyway, but still...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nehpetsdnalob

It's gotta be the 'G man'!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Rory Gallagher, no question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Rory Gallagher without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Rory Gallagher for me. Closely followed by Gary Moore & The Edge.

I was driving home from work earlier and Tony Fenton played "Shadow Play" by Rory - I had to turn it up loud. Bloody fantastic song.

EDIT: Why on earth is Jim "The Odd One Out" Corr included on this?? Ye can hardly hear his guitar playing because of all the fiddles n tin whistles.....?

Another Irish guitarist who I think is brilliant is a guy called Barry Conboy from the Galway based band Big Generator - pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

I vote for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Eh, Louis Stewart is - what a topic full of ignorance.... "The Edge" - f*ck off, you uneducated goof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I haven't heard of some of these guys. :confused: Must check them out.

Moore then Gallagher would be my choice. But then I generally listen to metal or blues.

But having said that playing the guitar or music in general is about music, not simply shredding scales and nodes as fast as you can, basically just widdle in all meanings of the word. I think The Edge is great musician and guitarist. He definitely has written some great rock riffs, songs and has gets some great sounds out his gear. If he never did a single solo in his life that would enough to put him on this list.

Futureman wrote:
    Eh, Louis Stewart is - what a topic full of ignorance.... "The Edge" - f*ck off, you uneducated goof.

Nothin' to do with education, purely musical taste. So **** off yourself and check out the rules of how to post on this forum,.

As for Louis Stewart, well I posted this is Rock/Metal section so probably shoulda said rock guitarist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Rory Gallagher by a country mile. (well, a country mile that's six foot under alas), followed by Gary Moore and Eric Bell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Where's Bernie Torme on your list? You need another option - other!

http://www.bernietorme.com/

Advertisement