Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best Irish guitarist ever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Rory Gallagher for me, but I think its worth mentioning the briliiant Louis Stewart, even though he is a Jazz musician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Whats the story on Cork Airport? I heard reports that there is a campaign to have the airport renamed "Gallagher International Airport"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Alter-Ego wrote:
    With loads of crappy effects.

Its gotta be Rory.

With that attitude, I hope you don't listen to metal. I'd have picked Rory or the edge myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Rory was goood .....
    a real virtuoso...didnt like his music overall tho...was all centered on his top notch playing....although he and Alex Lifeson were great guitar buddies when Rory supported RUSH at many a USA Canada gig, so thats a plus :D ....mind you Johnny Fean...man what a player...he was superb for Horslips...I remember the 2 gigs at Wembley arena in 78 the " live and dangerous " special with Thin Lizzy and Horslips...wow did Horslips blast that place...remember talking to a good few UK Lizzy fans who didnt know Horslips...they were blown away by them and Feans Guitar really made em thirst for more......Gallagher 1st - Fean second for me :)

ciao' amigos...Baggio....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the criteria is the ability to both shred and pen a tune then the winner has to be Rory Gallagher in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I was driving home from work earlier and Tony Fenton played "Shadow Play" by Rory - I had to turn it up loud. Bloody fantastic song.

Shadowplay on the Live at Montreux dvd is the business, pure showmanship at its best.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Jim Corr? I voted for LOL's sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I voted rory Gallagher, but Gary moore is a close second. Saw him in vicar Street last night, he's still the dogs doodahs!

I would rate Louis Stewart very highly, what a player, but sadly he chose Jazz as his medium and I hate Jazz. Still should have been an option on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Irishfella

Gary Moore is not only the Best Irish Guitarist, he's one of the best in the world. During the early to mid 80's no one else could touch him including Eddie Va Halen

Prefer his rock to blues myself

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

ec18 wrote:
    Its not actually, sure alot of great musicians were great songwriters too, some of the most famous songs in recent history were not written by the singer. Robbie Willams- Angels for example or jimi Hendrix's version of all along the watchtower(i know its not recent but jimi didn't write it)

Thin Lizzy's version if Whiskey in the Jar, i know they revamped it with the music but they didn't write it.

so its good if your a songwriter but its not the most important part.

Having talent and being able to play or sing is the most important part

they changed some of the words in whiskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Rory Gallagher without a shadow of a doubt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CrazyPJ

Saw Rory live at the Reading festival in the early seventies and he just mashed the place up. He was awesome! Then Genisis came on and everyone fell asleep. And should the Edge be really on this list??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

CrazyPJ wrote:
    And should the Edge be really on this list??

Ah i think the Edge has a right to be there, he does have some smashing riffs...There are alot worse guitarists than him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Rory, no contest, although I'd rate Gary Moore and Pat McManus highly as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I voted rory as he was best all rounder to me, technically amazing, great tunes (be them his own or his spin on covers) and top class live act. He would rate in my book as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. I read his biography a few years ago, very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

id have to say rory, i think the defining moment for me getting into his music was listening to lotsa stuff on random, when 'too much alcohol' came on, and at the end, when he says 'wana try some'... id swear, that guitar really wants that alcohol! just the way he can make his guitar speak, sing, and shred.... beautiful:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

its between gary moore and rory gallarhar , very hard to deicide but gary moore is just godlike compared to everyone else , needless to say he's the irish jimi hendrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

2. The Edge

Probably a controversial inclusion but I don't care, coz I believe songwriting is the most important part of being a musician, not seperate from it. And its not like he's just strumming chords, he takes chords and plays them in ways nobody else does, I love the melodies he plays.

LOOOOOL As soon as I saw this clip I just new it was destined for greater things. :D:D:D

That is my opinion of The™ Edge™™™™ and U™2™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Philemon86

"he takes chords and plays them in ways nobody else does"
    if you mean that he plays a chord into a computer and it tells him what the next one should be then yes i guess he does ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

rory was a brilliant guitarist but his songwriting was just ok if were totally honest about it

if the edge is in there then surely kevin shields has to be included, one of the most innovative guitarists ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

whos voting for jim corr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Floydaholic

I picked the Edge, because he is my favourite out of all these guitarists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Rory Gallagher by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I picked the Edge, because he is my favourite out of all these guitarists.

do you know any of the other guitarists?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Robinhood101

Paul Allender So good he`s in Cradle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Paul Allender So good he`s in Cradle

Eh, you do realise the thread is called "Best Irish guitarist ever"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

There should really only be one option in this poll. Rory. No-one else comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Also, is anyone else shocked that 8 people voted for Jim Corr, but nobody voted for Vivian Campbell? That's just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Gary Moore and rory a close second.
    Gary played rock, blues and jazz fusion/ progressive rock with Colleseum.
    Listen to some of his early albums some crazy stuff on it.
    Went to see him in Vicar street and he was class, was a bit p'd off that he did not play any rock tunes.
    Rory is class , Tatoo'd Lady (excuse the spelling) still gives me a chill when I hear it.
    Also have to mention the brilliant Louis Stewart, I go to see him whenever he plays and he is such a nice guy aswell, he sat down and had a chat with us the last time I saw him, An unlikely guitar hero and so humble.

Advertisement