Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"daft.ie" for america?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

im wondering where to look up american accomodation. like daft.ie, but for the states, california in particular. im planning on going there for my j1.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

craigslist.org is your friend.

psi wrote:
    craigslist.org is your friend.
    QFT!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

where in america are you looking to move then I can tell you where to look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

BEAT wrote:
    where in america are you looking to move then I can tell you where to look
    California, not sure where exactly. Just wanted to get an idea of how much it is to rent over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aye, I'm looking for something like that too. craigslist is okay, but only for the big cities. It's pretty hard to find affordable places where we're going :(.

I was going to start a thread along these lines last night, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

yeah im lookin for accomadation in san diego, say about $1300 a month, any ideas,, and really would liike it to be central and close to transport.. NOt askin much i know ;)

There's some good links here, weedhead. It shouldn't be hard to find a place in San Diego, but $1300 is very cheap. You'd be lucky to find a place for that much! How many of you are sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

well there are 4 definates and a few considerin goin, but 4 for now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 burninghearts

weedhead wrote:
    yeah im lookin for accomadation in san diego, say about $1300 a month, any ideas,, and really would liike it to be central and close to transport.. NOt askin much i know ;)

It's really, really hard not having a car in San Diego. Not to mention how horribly overpriced it is. When you say central, what do you mean exactly? There's places by the beach, downtown, by universities... let me know what you're looking for and I can probably help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that J1 Forum (http://www.j1forum.com) has some decent information and people looking to share.

I set it up last year before I went but still more active than the USIT one used to be.

• Advertisement

I know a couple of Irish people in SD - they may be looking for lodgers (they take Irish temp visitors occasionally) but it would be fairly restrictive for parties etc. I'll enquire - usually it's girls.

I've heard a lot of people saying they signed up for a 6 month lease, and just skipped out after 3, forefitting their security deposits. Has anyone done this, or know if it's a good idea?

security deposits can be steep, so it depends. Alot of landlords are wise to this so charge first and last months rent plus a deposit.

Advertisement