Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Warning - Soccer Access Requests

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Due to the overwhelming number of posters who apply to soccer without bothering to read:

(a) The Soccer Access Request Charter

(b) The Soccer Access Request Procedure

and

(c) The Soccer Forum Charter

I'm revamping the access request procedure. The first step is basically making it a bannable offence to post without reading the charter.

Seeing as the charter contains the procedure to gain access to soccer and the only thing you're allowed post in the forum is a request to gain access to soccer, this basically means that if you apply incorrectly, you get a month ban.

I'm going to put up a post in the soccer access charter showing exactly what is required - including two indentifiers to prove that the soccer charter was at least accessed.

Anyone applying incorrectly gets banned. I'm posting this here as fair warning, I expect, given that people manage to miss the procedure there already, that there will be an initial fallout.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just be sure that you put as many clear, massive warnings as you can. Basically make it impossible for any reasonable person who was paying a blind bit of attention to blunder.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

DeVore wrote:
    Just be sure that you put as many clear, massive warnings as you can. Basically make it impossible for any reasonable person who was paying a blind bit of attention to blunder.

DeV.

Well two stickys on the forum (as shown) and I've actually written the access request text out for posters.

All they have to do is copy and paste and then fill in two blanks.

Not sure how much more I can do for them......

accessqq2.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah thats seems fair enough... We (admins) might be able to help with something too, let me look into it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hi BBEC

Welcome to boards.ie :)

There is a history here that you may not be aware of...

The soccer forums were closed due to the large amount of tribe wars and general mayham.

Some of the users came up with a solution, which was

a) To reduce the number of posters who would just land in to argue (not discuss) they would have to apply for access, a quick review of a posters history would give some indication of how they might act in the new soccer forum.

b) As the new forum would be heavily moderated due to previous experience in the forum, trying to ensure that the rules under which the forum would be allowed to continue should be read be everyone when they get access.

So to raise the importance of reading the forum charter/rules/guideline, to gain access to the soccer forum you had to read the access rules charter first.

Its not about censorship - its about keeping the forum open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

BBEC wrote: »
    just don't bother with it and let people post their free will opinions if they want. If anyone steps over the line, or uses bad language or something (even though we're all adults here) then you can ban him. But theres absolutely no reason for all the procedure and nonsense here, just to express an opinion and discuss football with others. I don't expect this post to last. This sort of censorship is ridiculous.

The procedure is in place for a good reason. The soccer forum had to be shut down before due to it getting so bad. I believe it has gotten a lot better since the access procdure was put in place, but it still must be one of the hardest forums to mod. I think removing the access procedure would just start us on either a long or possibel very short road back to chaos in the forum.

It is not eactly difficult to gain access to the forum if you want it. Copy paste, fill in two words off ya go. The 50 posts is to stop newbies coming in, not understanding fully how boards works and the rules in place, and starting flame wars and earning them a site ban in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What are ye children?? I just think it's way too much procedure for the simple matter of posting opinions. Naturally you'll have people who'll come on just looking the mess about and stuff, but as you pointed out they still could if they want to. If you just let people post what they want, and then remove the offending ones, when they offend surely it would be less hassle than reviewing 50 posts from prospective applicants. I can't see you agreeing with this, but there you go.

I hear that 'Danger Here' wesite is trying to recruit new members. Try them.

I hear Barca are looking to sign Cesc Fabregas to replace Xavi. How do you feel about that?

Great. Means he could be off to City.

Danger Here all quiet this morning is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What are ye children?? I just think it's [...]
    Yeah, lots of soccer fans seemed to act like children prior to this being implemented, that's why it is the way it is. Welcome to boards, you're new here so take time to read up on stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

****e website?? Enjoy this nonsense you retard. Any one who is focking dumb enough to bother with the stupid focking access procedures is gonna be a focking simpleton with nothing interesting to say anyway

lol.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great. Means he could be off to City.

Danger Here all quiet this morning is it?

funny-pictures-lonely-kitten-birthday-party-balloon.jpg

Its cat time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What are ye children??

Tsk, you're all confused. It's the "children" who post in the soccer forum that led to this in the first place.

Everyone started out thinking as you did and almost everyone changed their opinion once they experienced an 'open' soccer forum. It may seem strange to a new user but the soccer forum is a better place for this rule.

p.s. I see all this is stemming from this post. I was wondering why such an old thread was dragged up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Himself and his idiot mates have been spamming Access Requests all morning

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=451

Ignore the idiot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So how do we get access?? I posted my request this morning before all the spamming started...

So how do we get access?? I posted my request this morning before all the spamming started...

There are a number of access request outstanding the mods will get around to it. Be patient.

P.S None of the mods are currently marked as being online.

Wait for a soccer mod to read you access request.

Mods aren't online 24/7, and they usually leave the requests to do in "batches".

So a bit of patience is required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

DesF wrote: »
    Wait for a soccer mod to read you access request.

Mods aren't online 24/7, and they usually leave the requests to do in "batches".

So a bit of patience is required.

I'm not in any rush, I was just thinking if the process has changed I was going to re-submit it.

though I do have a question to post on the issue on Tackles that cause injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm not actually attached to any other website, so i can't have been spamming anything.

Just pointing out the ridiculous bureaucracy of this site. By all means though guys if you're into it, go for it.
    Next I expect you'll tell us you're leaving the site.

*yawn*

Yeah, I though this thread was gonna spice up my Friday lunchbreak but it kinda fizzled out...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

maybe process the outstanding requests and then stop/close access requests for a few weeks to weed out the spammers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Le_Roi_Eric

maybe process the outstanding requests and then stop/close access requests for a few weeks to weed out the spammers?!

Maybe just let people post in the forum and keep it moderated properly.

It's a bit maverick and I'm not sure that it will be any easier than having to police a completely separate forum and scrutinise applications like a Burmese visa inspector, but it's crazy enough to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I understand that the system was needed to keep the forum open.

But read these two threads to see how ridiculously serious PSI takes his "job". :D:D

Member of boards for 3 years refused:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286168

Refused (initially) over 1 deleted post:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289494

My point is, lighten up a bit. Its not like their applying for a passport or something.

raido9 wrote: »

But read these two threads to see how ridiculously serious PSI takes her "job". :D:D

Refused (initially) over 1 deleted post:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289494

My point is, lighten up a bit. Its not like their applying for a passport or something.

Fixed that for you.

Of course it's not that serious, that's why you only have to read a small bit of text. If you can't do that then how can you be deemed to be able to read the text in the actual forum?

The rules are there for a reason and they work. Simple really.

raido9 wrote: »

But read these two threads to see how ridiculously serious PSI takes his "job". :D:D

3 years and only 40 posts? I don't think longevity could ever count in this case if the request comes from someone that posts once a month. The 50 post rule ensures that members interact with others in other sub-forums and avoids people who sign-up at boards for no other reason then to cause 'trouble' in the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I wonder how my application will be received when i reach 50 posts?? :D

I doubt you will.

You guys let a bird moderate a soccer forum?

Youse really haven't got a clue!!

I wonder how my application will be received when i reach 50 posts?? :D
    Yet more twattage.

Please, sign up and tell us how to run our site.

It's on it's knees, unlike your highly successful one.

Too true, my friend. Too true.

6th isn't your friend. Believe Me.

Yeah you guys really have a fine operation up and running here!! I'm sure you're all very proud!! Go China!!

Go team boards.ie!!
    How much longer will you spend on this before you get bored.

I have to go on my lunch now, will you still be here when I get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ponster wrote: »
    6th isn't your friend. Believe Me.

Bell-eeeee dah!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You don't know that dude. For all you know I could BE 6th. Signing in under MUN's to trick you all and keep you on your toes. A cunning ploy. Think about it.

I wasn't going to respond as there really is no point with trolls but you're an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yeah you guys really have a fine operation up and running here!! I'm sure you're all very proud!! Go China!!

Go team boards.ie!!

Yawn (mustn't forget the !!) !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement