Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagles in Ireland

Options
  • 06-03-2007 7:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I am looking for information about the beagles in Ireland. A judge from Ireland will be judging a major event here in the USA. I would like information about how dogs are presented to judges in Irish dog shows. Would also like to find the beagle breed standard. Any contact with beagle breeders or judges in Ireland would be very helpful. Is there a more appropriate board to find this information? Thank you in advance for any information you can offer. Dan from Touchstone Kennels. Beagles bred for correct hunting instincts and physical structure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Definetely the wrong forum for this kind of question ...

But, just out of interest, how do you breed for the correct hunting instincts?
    Are you breeding working lines only? And doesn't the instinct often clash with the proper conformation according to breed standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

The beagle breed standard was written to define every physical aspect of the breed that promotes the dogs function as a hunting dog. Hunting characteristics are genetic. The hounds I breed are developed for the following hunt characteristics: Hunt desire to search for and jump rabbits to start the chase, Speed to run the track as fast as scenting conditions allow (fast in damp humid conditions but much slower when working a track in bad scenting such as hot dry ground or on ice.), accuracy to stay close on the rabbit's scent so that the tracking does not falter, working close from the point of loss to recover the track quickly and efficiently near where the scent was lost (that pushes the rabbit in a truer circle), opening (barking) only on hot(fresh) scent - not wasting the hunter's time by barking around at scent from an old track, faults such as backtracking, running off-game, poor temperament/trainability, ... are also avoided. Correct physical structure and motion greatly enhance the dogs function in the field. Ability to turn on the track at a fair rate of speed, correct head and ears for gathering scent, and the physical ability to run all day and to the latter years of life...Dan

All very well ...

But what you describe as the "correct hunting instincts" is in fact correctly trained hunting behaviour.
    Or are you in all earnest trying to convince us you can BREED a dog that doesn't bark at an old scent and only at new ones instead?

The best you can do is breed of two dogs with strong hunting instincts and hope that their offspring has it as well (which isn't guaranteed) and then hope that they end up with a capable trainer so that they can become the hunters they're supposed to be. They sure won't do all that on instinct alone.

A dog is what it is the day it is born. All that you can do is get it the field time to develop its genetic traits. No amount of training will make a dog use its voice correctly. Running off game can be corrected, but is much easier to correct in hounds not set on the behavior. Speed is also genetic. Some lines in the USA are bred to run very slow. No amount of training will get them to run with speed. The training aspect is important because excellence in the following will help with performance: physical conditioning, health(properly immunized from diseases that would harm the dog and keeping the dog free of parasites such as worms, ticks, flees, mites), nutrition, handling(the dog should come when it is called), excellent care and treating the dog with kindness also helps the dogs mental attitude. My female is across the room sleeping by the fireplace as I am typing this. She ran several hours this morning. Most characteristics are genetic but all things influence performance. If training was the bigger part of it more show dogs could be competitive. The instinct for hunt characteristics have been bred out by the breeders who have bred only for structure with no respect to hunt characteristics for many generations. That is why the few of us who are attempting to develop both hunt and structure in our breeding programs really have our work cut out. My program that includes the European bloodlines has been very successful. Still not to the point of whole litters of great dogs. Only a couple in each litter with the exceptional physical structure. Most are structurally better than the majority of dogs bred only for hunt instincts and also have strong hunt. Winning hunt and all-breed shows with the same dog is a new concept here. With 35 years involved in the breed it is exciting to see beagles that are excellent in both structure and hunt. Dan

A dog is what it is the day it is born.

Well ...this is the point where I leave our little dialog, before I get too hot under the collar.

Enjoy playing the great creator and try not to harm too many dogs along the way ...

• Advertisement

I read your post and looked over at my little hound curled up and resting gently on his pillow next to the fireplace. Had to chuckle because never will a more content, healthy, and happy hound be found. After he rests up for a while I'll likely take him to the back 40 to enjoy a good jump and chase. Don't be too concerned...no harm to these little hounds here. Best of luck to you! Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Are they 9 inch or 14 inch Beagles you have??

Sorry so long for a reply! The snow has melted here and the days are getting longer. A busy time of the year! More work than the day is long. Anyhow about your question. In the USA we recognize two varieties of beagles. Up to and including 13" measured at the top of the withers and Up to and including15". The very small pocket beagles are very rare. My few hounds are between 14 and 15 inches. The hunt format that I run them in is a faster running format that rewards running in the front of the pack with accuracy on the line of scent. Also running in snow lends some advantage to a larger beagle. I have also seen a few smaller beagles that do a grand job. Anything under 12" is rare in the UKC Hunting beagle format. My interest in the United Kennel Club registry is based on their commitment to developing TOTAL DOGS in the breed specimens. Dogs correct in physical and working characteristics. Beagles with correct hunt characteristics, terriers that go to ground, herding dogs that herd, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 armadale

Do you still require this information

Any information that you can offer would be greatly appriciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Davidhunts

Hi Dan
    what is it you need? Involved in a few shows here in Ireland and hunt with a pack of foot beagles similar in sive to yours, ours being slightly taller at 15/16. nothing over 16 as it above our standard. sorry for short post,..working
    Dave

Advertisement