Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kurt Angle on Bubba again

• 06-03-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Here are the highlight's from PWInsider:

TNA star Kurt Angle appeared on Bubba the Love Sponge today on Sirius satellite radio. Jagger K sent along the following highlights:

- Kurt briefly promoted this Sunday's PPV.

- Kurt said that Scott Steiner could not kick his a** in a shoot fight and Steiner knows it.

- A long discussion of Kurt's amateur and collegiate wrestling background where all his achievements were discussed.

- Kurt’s brother Eric works for a lighting company. Kurt said he was shafted and misdiagnosed by the doctors regarding the care he received for his arm injury.

- Bubba asked Kurt about Hogan, Big Show andTest and said he talked to TNA about them as well as Brock and Goldberg. Angle noted Vince is ripe for the picking. He said Wrestlemania is all about Vince and Trump. Kurt said he is desperate. Kurt said, "I can't say" regarding Jericho coming in and "no comment" regarding Jericho signing a TNA contract. Kurt also said that he never "lies" to Bubba.

- Kurt said he was "Mr. Put Em Over" when it came to WWE and lost more than he won.

- More talk about TNA taking over the top spot from WWE soon

- Played a clip of Dana White (UFC) where he called Kurt "full of sh**" when discussing his involvement in UFC and the chance that he could kick ass in UFC. White called Kurt "busted up". Kurt said Dana is mad because Kurt turned down UFC in favor of TNA and Dana wanted him exclusively. Angle claimed hat TNA is now beginning to talk to UFC again about him coming in. Kurt said he is torn between TNA and shoot fighting and which he wants to do more.

- Kurt said Randy Couture would train him for anything in UFC

- They discussed Randy Couture's UFC fight. Kurt said he and Randy is a fight everyone wants to see. Angle said he cannot say if he would beat him, but Kurt said he is a better wrestler and discussed more amateur accolades & said he is a lot better wrestler then Randy.

- Kurt said Dana White told Angle he cannot be in TNA and UFC at the same time so that is why the deal fell through but said Dana said Kurt would draw the biggest buyrate ever in UFC.

- Bubba called Dixie a great businesswoman and asked if Dixie would give him time off to train for UFC, Kurt said she said yes and now its up to Dana/UFC to say yes.

Angle said that Pro EliteXC and IFL both made him offers. Kurt plugged both as stock investments and that both companies are competition to UFC & Dana should reconsider getting Kurt involved.

- More UFC discussion & who Kurt would fight in UFC. One of Bubba's crew (Spice) asked Kurt when something would ever happen regarding MMA because Kurt has been talking this way for months. Kurt said when the time is right and he learns more styles he would be ready. They discussed Kurt fighting Mirko CroCop and how Kurt would fight him.

- Bubba finally brought the conversation back to TNA and the Destination X PPV. Bubba asked what day the PPV was. Kurt said Sunday then told Bubba to talk to Dana about him coming into UFC and agreed to a live conference call between him & Dana on Bubba's show.

- Kurt said TNA is important to him but he really wants to fight and Dixie Carter knows that.

- More UFC discussion. Kurt mentioned he told Vince he wanted to fight shoot and Vince said OK, but Kurt broke his neck.

- Spice asked Kurt if he would leave TNA for UFC. Kurt said he cannot because he is "The franchise of TNA" and gave Dixie his word.

- Kurt mentioned he would be UFC's biggest draw and that he is more known than any UFC fighter.

- They discussed how Kurt doing both UFC/TNA would be great for both companies but the ball is in Dana's court

- Ended the interview with Bubba (not Kurt) plugging the TNA PPV by only mentioning Angle/Steiner then right back to discussing Kurt in UFC.

- Kurt spent over 90% of the time discussing UFC and not TNA or the PPV.

Remind me, does Kurt work for TNA or the UFC? It should be Dana paying his wages not Dixie the way he goes on about it.

Then again, Dana might be paying him sometihng by the end of the year. I can't see it though as UFC offered him a great deal and Dana pulled no punches on what he thought of him in a recent interview. I have my doubts he'll do anything in MMA except talk about it.

And if he does, it'll be a Ken Shamrock and not a Cro Cop who he'll step in against (which is wise) but doesn't prove a whole lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

It would really piss me off if I was Dixie Carter or any TNA guy listening to Kurt plug another company way more than the one he is being paid to work for.

Personally I can't see him taking proper MMA fights but I would love to see him up against Liddell, Couture or Cro Cop as I think he would be dominated and maybe have some sense smacked into him. He really needs to stop running his mouth so much. I am starting to hate him as much as Hogan right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

As scary as it is i would be more willing to accept Dana's version of events than Kurts.

I love Kurt and have defended him staunchly in the past but i am starting to grow tired of him now. MMA is not wrestling, you cannot sit there and spend a year saying you "want to fight" and make no moves to do so. It is also foolish to sit there and say who would or wouldn't beat.

This is the fight game, anything can happen and the last two major PPV's in MMA ( UFC 68 and Pride 33 ) have shown that.

If Kurt wants to fight and can get medical clearance to do so then let it happen. I think he would do okay but until then he needs to shut up. There is a massive difference between "being a better wrestler than Randy Couture" and being better wrestler than him while he is holding the back your head putting his fist through your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It would kill what is left of his wresting career in my view.
    Also, for all he has done for WWE and has achieved in his wrestling career, i wouldn't like to see him humiliated. Someone who knows him well needs to talk some sense into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I thought he might've copped on after the last interview of his I heard, where he was talking sense. Bubba brings out the worst in him. Sometimes you'd wonder if Kurt has ever actually seen some of these MMA guys he mentions. It can't be overemphasised how much more beat up he is compared to pretty much any MMAist, and I hope he shows some respect for his opponent if he ever does end up having a fight and doesn't just dive into a knee to the face

Just read this off of Rajah who cite pwinsider.com
    SportsIllustrated.com has added an article today discussing the recent allegations of steroid/HGH sales at the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center in Florida. This story broke last week as several professional athletes were listed as customers. Sport Illustrated’s story lists TNA star Kurt Angle as a new name being added to the list of people being investigated. The article says:

"Kurt Angle, a 1996 Olympic gold-medal-winning freestyle wrestler and now a star professional wrestler, received two prescriptions for trenbolone and one for nandrolone between October 2004 and February '05. (Angle did not return messages left with his spokesman.)"

During the time of Angle receiving these prescriptions he was under contract with WWE. Both of the drugs are said to be popular anabolic steroids. We will certainly have more on this story as we get it.

Interesting if true, and hit mainstream press, it could ruin any big MMA appearence as I don't think Dana White would want to tarnish the great press UFC, and general credibility it has been getting as of late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You are all aware what channel UFC and TNA are on?

This has angle written all over it and I'm not referring to his surname.

You are all aware what channel UFC and TNA are on?

This has angle written all over it and I'm not referring to his surname.

True, but, an Angle appearance would more than likely be on PPV, which dosen't throw any business Spike's way. It's the Ultimate Fighter that is on Spike. Actually, Kurt should enter the next Ultimate Fighter, as he is going to need a lot of prep work before he can enter the Octagon.

Interesting if true, as Angle has been vehement in saying that he has been off the juice for the last two years.

If it is true, then he's still telling the truth

I can't see any of this Angle stuff being a work with UFC and TNA. Dana White isn't a wrestling fan and he isn't a fan of working the fans. And as Charlie said, it's just the Ultimate Fighter and the Fight Night Specials on Spike. UFC's money is in their ppv's, which Spike has nothing to do with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'd agree with what you and Charlie said about the whole TNA/UFC link.

Dana White was vehement about Kurt not doing wrestling and MMA together when they initially talked about a deal in October. I actually don't think he likes the association in terms of trying to make the UFC a credible sport.

I've seen plenty of comments by Dana White basically saying Kurt is full of ****. And he is. He's been very complimentary about Brock Lesnar though.

There's a contrast for you. How many interviews has Brock done in the last year saying he'd beat Lidell, Ortiz etc...... I haven't seen any. And if he has done them, they have been very limited.

Brock will have trained steadily for about 18 months before his first fight. He grasps the fact that in 2007, you can't just get into MMA and conquer everybody. I actually think Kurt knows this too but when he gets asked the questions, his ego gets in the way.

Seems to me Dana White is bitter that he was worked so beautifully (almost Hogan-esque) by Kurt when he signed for TNA. That's understandable as Kurt fooled pretty much everybody.

Whether or not Kurt wants to fight only he knows but to me it sounds like he's pushing buttons to get a response.

Doesn't make much sense for Dixie Carter to allow him to say these things unless she's actually asking him to say these things. TNA's ratings are above UFC's on Spike I think so maybe the idea is that some crossover stuff will boost the both of 'em.

Don't see why White would turn that down if he wants more exposure to his product.

I doubt he's against an association with wrestling considering he's had a lot of success courtesy of Ken Shamrock's name value, allowed his biggest names to appear on TNA, plus the fact that talk of wrestlers Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar is gaining UFC a lot of attention. It's about smart business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

shut the **** up already kurt...this talking bull**** on interviews has become all to common now with kurt.....

Seems to me Dana White is bitter that he was worked so beautifully (almost Hogan-esque) by Kurt when he signed for TNA. That's understandable as Kurt fooled pretty much everybody.

I don't really see it like that. Dana offered Kurt a place to train with Randy Couture's team for a year, he wanted to make sure that Kurt would be ready when he fought in the UFC. He didn't want Kurt to embarrass himself on ppv, and in turn embarrass the company by having a guy on who's not up to the standard

Doesn't make much sense for Dixie Carter to allow him to say these things unless she's actually asking him to say these things. TNA's ratings are above UFC's on Spike I think so maybe the idea is that some crossover stuff will boost the both of 'em.

To be honest, I think Dixie will let Kurt say whatever he wants. He's a huge name for TNA to have, and I don't think anyone there wants to risk pissing him off

I doubt he's against an association with wrestling considering he's had a lot of success courtesy of Ken Shamrock's name value, allowed his biggest names to appear on TNA, plus the fact that talk of wrestlers Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar is gaining UFC a lot of attention. It's about smart business.

Ken Shamrock got his name value from the UFC in the first place though. No UFC guys have appeared in TNA as far as I can remember. Just Tito Ortiz, who wasn't with UFC at the time. He's done one or two interviews with TNA since, but hasn't been at any shows

Dana is a boxing guy. He's often said that he doesn't see the similarity between wrestling and mma, just boxing and mma. He's trying to promote mma the way he thinks boxing should be promoted. And I'm not sure exactly how much attention the talk of Angle and Lesnar is getting the UFC. Sure, some wrestling fans will be interested, like us, but there's not very much talk of either of them in the mma world as far as I can see

If Kurt ends up fighting an mma match this year, it will be with some other mma company. Not UFC

Fozzy wrote:
    I don't really see it like that. Dana offered Kurt a place to train with Randy Couture's team for a year, he wanted to make sure that Kurt would be ready when he fought in the UFC. He didn't want Kurt to embarrass himself on ppv, and in turn embarrass the company by having a guy on who's not up to the standard

I get all that but Dana was played don't you agree? I'm sure I've read him admit as much somewhere. Angle never wanted to go there but he fooled the whole world into thinking that was his plan. Didn't Kurt's agent hint at it too if I recall?
    Fozzy wrote:
    To be honest, I think Dixie will let Kurt say whatever he wants. He's a huge name for TNA to have, and I don't think anyone there wants to risk pissing him off

Looking at the bits from the interview though it seems like this is something that TNA are content with him to say...
    - They discussed how Kurt doing both UFC/TNA would be great for both companies but the ball is in Dana's court.

There also seems to be a contradiction in what he says...
    - Bubba called Dixie a great businesswoman and asked if Dixie would give him time off to train for UFC, Kurt said she said yes and now its up to Dana/UFC to say yes.
    - Spice asked Kurt if he would leave TNA for UFC. Kurt said he cannot because he is "The franchise of TNA" and gave Dixie his word.

So one minute he's saying he'd be given time off to train for UFC, the next minute he's saying he's TNA's franchise player and couldn't leave them.

Just seems like an angle to me that they're hoping White will go along with.

I get all that but Dana was played don't you agree? I'm sure I've read him admit as much somewhere. Angle never wanted to go there but he fooled the whole world into thinking that was his plan. Didn't Kurt's agent hint at it too if I recall?

Kurt's still claiming he wants to fight there though. I do think that Kurt wants to fight an mma match, but he's being very naive about it. Dana's basically said that any time he's been asked about Kurt

I don't think the last two quotes you highlighted really contradict each other, the way I take it is that Kurt's not going to abandon TNA, but they'd give him some time off to train if he were to compete in the UFC. The thing is that the UFC want him to train full time for a long time, which doesn't seem like something Kurt's willing to do. If you've ever heard Bubba though, you'd understand the way he tends to lead people along, he's a master ego-stroker

Fozzy wrote:
    Kurt's still claiming he wants to fight there though. I do think that Kurt wants to fight an mma match, but he's being very naive about it. Dana's basically said that any time he's been asked about Kurt.

Well this is the thing. He's either trying to string people along or he's being very reluctant. I think deep down he realises he's a good few years too late for a UFC run. Maybe a part of him thinks he can do it hence why he's putting feelers out.

He'll go down as a legendary amateur wrestler and quite possibly a legendary pro wrestler so one wonders why he would want to get involved at all and risk his health.
    Fozzy wrote:
    I don't think the last two quotes you highlighted really contradict each other, the way I take it is that Kurt's not going to abandon TNA, but they'd give him some time off to train if he were to compete in the UFC. The thing is that the UFC want him to train full time for a long time, which doesn't seem like something Kurt's willing to do. If you've ever heard Bubba though, you'd understand the way he tends to lead people along, he's a master ego-stroker

If he were to compete for UFC though he'd need a hell of a lot of time off. Brock's been doing it over a year hasn't he? There's no way TNA would let him go for longer than 3 months the way I look at it.

If he were to compete for UFC though he'd need a hell of a lot of time off. Brock's been doing it over a year hasn't he? There's no way TNA would let him go for longer than 3 months the way I look at it.

I think Brock has been at it about that long. He was meant to fight last month initially, but someone mustn't think he's ready yet. The difference with Kurt is that he's very cocky. Does anyone know if TNA are still planning on holding a shoot fight for Angle themselves? That was doing the rounds at one stage, haven't heard anything since. That wouldn't surprised me at all, as they'd be in the position to get someone to throw the fight to Angle then. Can't have him gettin beaten in TNA!

Fozzy wrote:
    Does anyone know if TNA are still planning on holding a shoot fight for Angle themselves? That was doing the rounds at one stage, haven't heard anything since. That wouldn't surprised me at all, as they'd be in the position to get someone to throw the fight to Angle then. Can't have him gettin beaten in TNA!

I think (could be wrong though) there were issues about TNA getting a licence for doing both worked and shoot fights on the one show.

PWInsider have an article describing an appearance by White on CBS Sportsline:
    UFC's Interest in Lesnar: "Very interested in Brock Lesnar. Brock Lesnar is out there, I believe right now he had signed a deal with K-1, and he's out there training hard from what I hear, and he's taking this serious. And that's what you need to do. Brock Lesnar seems like a serious guy to me."

White went on to say there have been no contract talks between the two.

Kurt Angle in UFC: "I like Kurt. I've talked to Kurt a bunch of times. I'm just not sure how committed he is to fighting. I made him an offer before, and he went over and did TNA wrestling. I don't know. If the guy is seriously interested in fighting, then he should be fighting with the UFC."

What It Would Take for UFC to Sign Angle: "The guy, seriously, is a legend in Olympic wrestling, and is a legend in professional wrestling. I'm not going to bring anybody in here for some type of freak show to get hurt. If the guy wants to be serious and wants to come over and train -- and I can hook him up with all the right people to train with, the right training places, and everything else. If he wants to be serious, I'm interested, but I'm not going to bring him over here to get hurt."

Angle Competing in MMA and pro wrestling simultaneously: "I'd prefer he did one or the other. I mean, how the hell are you going to professional wrestle and professional fight? It doesn't work that way. It takes a lot of time and training to dedicate to fighting."

Angle saying he'd need six month of training: "At his age and having never had a pro fight, that would be a very good idea. This thing isn't a joke. You don't just decide "I'm a professional wrestler I think I'm going to fight." It takes a lot of time, dedication and hard work -- just like wrestling does. I'm sure these guys have to train hard and have to get in great shape to professional wrestle. You can't just jump up one day and say, "I'm going to be a pro fighter and I think I'll fight next month." It doesn't work that way. It doesn't even come close to working that way.

The Dana White on CBS is a little more diplomatic than the Dana White on Fox 1 week ago:

“I’ve talked to Kurt, and you know, Kurt’s full of sh–. Kurt doesn’t really want to fight. He had the opportunity. We talked, and then he went with TNA. Not to mention he’s pretty busted up from wrestling. And you don’t just go from the WWE and jump into the UFC.

I offered him a deal where he could sit out for a year and train with (Randy) Couture and guys like that and get into it, and he turned it down.”

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/03/01/dana-white-kurt-angle-is-full-of-sh/

Came across a great little vid today on Youtube. Its Chuck Liddell in studio with Bubba and Bubba is playing him the Angle sound bites where he says he could take Chuck, Tito, Randy etc. Its an interesting watch and Chuck makes some very valid points without coming across as arrogant (unlike you Mr. Angle).

Anyways, here's the link; Chuck on Bubba

• Advertisement

Its an interesting watch and Chuck makes some very valid points without coming across as arrogant (unlike you Mr. Angle).

Anyways, here's the link; Chuck on Bubba

I don't know how valid his points were. He kept saying that Angle would have to fear the striking aspect - which is true enough - but he made it sound like Angle would be a pussy and would go down with one hit.

Also he kept saying, "he's never been hit" but he's never fought an MMA fight before. Although the guy has been concussed quite a few times.

And Liddell came across as pretty arrogant to me. "What's he gonna do sit on top of me and pin me? OK great." (cue laughter) I liked Dana White's CBS comments a lot more.

Is this issue pretty big in America right now then or what? It seems to be getting more and more attention.

IAngle would be a pussy and would go down with one hit.

Most people have. Well maybe it took two or three punches but you get what I'm saying.

I didn't think Lidell was being arrogant at all. He was confident alright. But he has reasons to be. He's been doing it a long time. Nobody scares him. He hasn't lost in 4 years. Quite simply, he's the dude right now in the UFC.

I don't he was saying Kurt was being a pussy at all. He was pretty much breaking down the fight as he saw it. And it seemed pretty reasonable to me. Maybe he's right. Maybe he's wrong. Given his record, it would be hard to back against him though.

I don't think Kurt doing MMA is anymore of a hot issue than it has in the past. If anything, I think there was alot more interest when he was a free agent last September.

I thought Liddell sounded pretty cocky but I forgot he was in the studio with that muppet Bubba so I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt.

I can't see Kurt going down with one hit if he was fully conditioned and ready. He has been knocked senseless countless times and seems to be able to withstand tremendous pain.

Besides, presumably he would play to his strengths and try to make it a mat-based fight don't you think?

Besides, presumably he would play to his strengths and try to make it a mat-based fight don't you think?

Thats what everyone says they'll do and very few succeed. None of them were Kurt Angle calabre wrestlers however which is a factor. But they had other things in their favour that Kurt wouldn't have.

I'm not saying Kurt wouldn't have a chance and I'd never completely rule him out. But MMA in 2007 isn't about being great in 1 area. Its about being solid in every area.

Getting knocked out and conditioning/pain endurance are 2 different things. Couture came in great shape for his 2 fights with Lidell. But when he hit him hard, it was lights out.

And that the thing, Kurt has never been hit. Until he gets hit nobody including himself will know how good his chin is. What we do know is that it'll need to be very very good against a guy like Lidell.

If you just weight it up logically, Lidell is a heavy heavy favourite.

In Kurts favour:
    His amateur wrestling achievements of 10 years ago can't be under estimated. He was unbelievable.
    The guy is insanely driven.

Against Kurt:
    He has no experience in MMA and this is 2007.
    He's been on a WWE schedule for 6 years and Ken Shamrock has gone on in length how thats a huge factor.
    He has suffered alot though injury and has substance abuse problems.

In Chucks favour:
    One of the greatest MMA strikers in the world with proven taken down defence.
    A division 1 wrestler.
    Been around the sport as long as anybody.
    Very intelligent fighter who isn't one dimensional as people saw the way he changed his game plan against Tito.

Against Chuck:
    Age possibly although his cardio has never been an issue so far and is younger than Kurt.
    Likes to party.

Bottom line, Lidell is a proven great MMA fighter. Kurt is a proven legendary wrestler but a completely unproven MMA fighter and we are dealing with MMA here. So if I had to bet my imaginary house on this imaginary fight I'd pick Chuck.

And after all that, I can never see this fight happening, so I've kind of wasted my time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I can't see Kurt going down with one hit if he was fully conditioned and ready. He has been knocked senseless countless times and seems to be able to withstand tremendous pain.

You can be in great shape and as conditioned as you like, a punch in the jaw will put you down, simple ass. It doesn't really matter what type of knocks Kurt has taken in the past, Chuck would not be giving him a chance to recover. It would be "smack, smack, smack,smack" until the ref was stopping it.

You simply cannot understimate how complicated MMA is. Without the proper training in submissions, striking, clinch work, head and foot work etc Kurt would die a death and it would be horrible to watch.

Advertisement