Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a computer be shut down remotely over a network?

• 06-03-2007 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Lets say I have 6 Windows 2000 PC's running on a network with a Windows 2000 server and at the end of the working day, rather than going to each PC and quitting the running application and doing start>shutdown>[Enter] etc., I'd prefer to just run some command on the server that will instruct each of the PC's to shut themselves down.

Is this possible?
    ... and if so... how?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

shutdown.exe its on the windows resource kit cd, you can create a batch file to run shutdown.exe with the appropriate info to shutdown your remote machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If you are a domain admin or admin on the machine

Right click on my computer click manage

Right click on the root node and click connect to another computer. Select the computer you want to shut down.

Right click and click properties, go to advanced, startup and recovery, click settings and there is a shut down button in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Thanks folks.

SHUTDOWN.EXE did the job nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ginger wrote:
    If you are a domain admin or admin on the machine

Right click on my computer click manage

Right click on the root node and click connect to another computer. Select the computer you want to shut down.

Right click and click properties, go to advanced, startup and recovery, click settings and there is a shut down button in there...

I'm tryna use this to shutdown a PC on my home network but i keep gettting the error- "Win32: The RPC server is unavailable" when I try this: Right click and click properties, go to advanced...

Any Ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

neacy69 wrote:
    I'm tryna use this to shutdown a PC on my home network but i keep gettting the error- "Win32: The RPC server is unavailable" when I try this: Right click and click properties, go to advanced...

Any Ideas?
    If the Windows Firewall is on, you won't be able to remotely shut down the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Creepox

parliament wrote:
    shutdown.exe its on the windows resource kit cd, you can create a batch file to run shutdown.exe with the appropriate info to shutdown your remote machines

I know this is an old topic... but still I hope for a reply

When I do this... I get access denide... Why?

I type: Shutdown -m \\computer name -s

Then I get access denide... What am I doing wrong?

Would be really good if you could reply...

Thank you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    If the Windows Firewall is on, you won't be able to remotely shut down the machine.
    unless you open up to the local LAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Creepox wrote:
    I know this is an old topic... but still I hope for a reply

When I do this... I get access denide... Why?

I type: Shutdown -m \\computer name -s

Then I get access denide... What am I doing wrong?

Would be really good if you could reply...

Thank you.

You need local admin rights on the computer to do it.. you cant just use shutdown remotely like that without rights otherwise you can only imagine the devilment people would get up to...

What is this local admin right? And is it possible to just get that, or is it something that can't be done? If you can, how? :)

P.S. I read something about that it doesn't work with simple file sharing... but somehow my pc doesn't say the same in folder options as the website does... So I can't figure out how to deal with this...

P.S.2. My friends pc reacently got this thing, when I try to access it from the network group, I need to type in a access password... my friend doesn't know how this got there, and neither do I... it hasn't always been there... don't know if this can be the case...

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Creepox wrote:
    What is this local admin right? And is it possible to just get that, or is it something that can't be done? If you can, how?

It is the superuser privilege. Who ever installed the computer, or administers the computer, would need to give you administrator rights on the computer you are trying to shutdown.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    It is the superuser privilege. Who ever installed the computer, or administers the computer, would need to give you administrator rights on the computer you are trying to shutdown.

Does this mean my friend has to give me access to his computer, to let me shut it down? If so... how does he do that?

Thank you.

Could someone kindly give me a reply? Me and my friend only want to know how this thing works... + it might be handy for me, since one of my computers are on the top floore and on all the way down... please?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

shutdown /f /t 30 /m \\yourpc

/f = force
    /t = timer, above is 30 seconds.
    /m = the computer you are shutting down.

the / (slash) and - (hypen) are interchangeable. i.e. shutdown -f -t 30 -m \\yourpc

You must have the appropriate rights to shut down a computer remotely, the minimum is Power User (If I recall rightly).

This is more useful if you are working in a Windows Domain environment.

Cheerio
    Howard

There's no more worrying command than

shutdown -r -t 00 -f -m \\mysuperbigimportantserver

I always make sure that nobody thinks I'm nuts before I hit return.

I also unconsciously use that sequence of switches because they provide a very appropriate acronym.

If you're doing this in a non-domain environment, the user calling the command must have an account on the other machine with the same username/password as on the calling machine. Alternatively, if you're already authenticated on the remote machine (e.g. connected to a shared folder) I think it will let you do this. Either way, you need an account on the remote machine.

seamus wrote:
    If you're doing this in a non-domain environment, the user calling the command must have an account on the other machine with the same username/password as on the calling machine. Alternatively, if you're already authenticated on the remote machine (e.g. connected to a shared folder) I think it will let you do this. Either way, you need an account on the remote machine.

Sorry for keeping asking all these questions... but I just started to get interested in these things, so I don't know much about it...

But this thing about my pc having a account on the other... Is it as simple as creating a user with the other pc witch is named thte same and has the same password as mine? :confused:

Everyone has to start somewhere,

Your computer A wants to be able to control computer B. Computer B has to check that the person using computer A is allowed to do this. Computer B essentially asks, "who are you?" if the response is a recognised account with the appropriate permission, then computer B will carry out the request.

You are asking how to add the account, but you have not provided any information which will determine the answer.

If you are in a DOMAIN environment, then your Domain account will be added to the local groups on computer B. i.e. open computer management, expand users and groups, double click on Power Users and then click the members tab. Add the domain account like this domain\yourname. This account will now be able to shutdown computer B. (Assuming you log onto computer A as domain\yourname)

If you are not in a domain, then you need a local account on computer B. Open comptuer management, create a new user and add it to the appropriate group. If the id and password you use to create the account is the same as you use on computer A, then you can shut down computer B.

Otherwise you'll get access denied.

Good luck,

Hey again... I don't seem to get this to work... When I try to create a user on comp B I get access denied... and when I try from B to A I get Network couldn't find the pc (A) so I don't know what's wrong... hopefully you can tell me :>

P.S. The access denied thing says: Win32, access denied

Thank you.

Probably don't have the appropriate permissions on Comp B.

But how do I get that?

Thank you.

Sorry, tried to add more info but it crapped out on me.

The person who installed or owns the machine will be able to give you local administrator access.

You probably also have an issue with the Windows Firewall being on.

Google is your friend if you want to get this done.

• Advertisement

Thanks... but the problem is that I don't know what to search for... and I usally don't find anything good... I was googling this.. when I ran into this page... and so far, this is the best I've seen...

But my question is: How does the person who owns the computer give me local administrator access?

P.S. have tried to google that... no success... hopefully you can give me an answer... or is it more complicated than that?

Thank you.

What operating system is computer B?
    Does the person using the computer have admin rights on it?
    If so, they can create an account for you. Instructions vary depending on operating systems that's why I've asked.

Is this a DOMAIN? If so it's probably protected by the network administrators and you'll have to ask them.

Cheerio

It's XP home edition, and it's not a domain... It's a home network...

Thank you.

Both are XP home edition...

Edit: oops, sorry for dubble post...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote:
    There's no more worrying command than

shutdown -r -t 00 -f -m \\mysuperbigimportantserver
    something like psexec \\* shutdown /t20 ? ;)

Be very careful with SHUTDOWN.EXE microsoft have been increadbly inconsistant with the syntax over the years, it's no fun when you realise the server wasn't set to reboot and is now ignoring shutdown -a commands :(

synthax is very different in windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371
    NT4 is different again http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186557/

Remote shutdown from GUI in XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysprop_to_perform_a_remote_reboot.mspx?mfr=true

Server 2003
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6fda5b61-d600-4ce7-830c-eccc83bc4dd21033.mspx?mfr=true

But that's when I get access denied... I go to computer management and connect to another computer... I search for the computer and find it, connect to it, but then when I press shutdown, it pops up: "Wind32, access denied"

And I see on the link you posted:

You must be recognized as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer and on the computer you are managing to perform this task.

How can I get the computer I'm managing to recongnize my computer?

Thank you.

first you need to be able to connect - firewall and all that

you need to know the username and password of a user account on that machine that has admin rights

net use \\machine /ipc$ /user:fred password
    shutdown etc.

Go to computer B, open the control panel, open the user accounts, create a new account, give it a password, make sure it's an administrative account.

If you still can't do it after that, just use the sneaker-net :)

net use \\machine /ipc$ /user:fred password
    shutdown etc.

When I use this one... It says that I wrote a wrong name or something... I use:

\\computername /192.168.0.1 /user:GKM <password>

don't know if I'm doing something wrong... (GKM is the user name of the account on comp B)

And Hshortt, could you give me info what to do after creating that accout? :)

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Click start, run, type 'cmd' and press return.
    Type net use \\192.168.0.1\ipc$ /user:GKM
    Enter your password.
    Type shutdown -f -t 10 -m \\192.168.0.1

Cheerio

Advertisement