Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cross-country tyre

Options
  • 06-03-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

My front wheel (and all associated parts) was stolen from my apartment block over the weekend, which means I've to buy a new one. My rear tyre is also fairly worn so I was thinking of biting the bullet and replacing both tyres while getting the new wheel. I've been looking online and Cycleways have a good selection on their website, but I'm not sure what I need.

I'd mainly do cross-country, like Three Rock or Ballinastoe Woods, etc - dirt/gravel trails with loads of mud thrown in, so I guess an all-round tyre would be idea.

Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Panaracer Fire XC Pro, 2.1's

You'll get 'em most places for around €30 each - Money well spent.

If you can't find them, let me know. I usually always have a spare pair brand new as I use them on all my bikes. You can have them for cost if you're stuck - Dundrum area.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

second that! panaracer xc pro or maxxis high roller xc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Nice, thanks for that. They look cool anyway! Spotted them on Cycleways.com for €41 each - does that sound a bit steep? I haven't really looked around in fairness.

Excellent hehe :D The shop I bought the bike from quoted me around €200 for a new wheel - does that sound about right? I'm just looking at the prices for wheels on this site and they seem a lot more than €200!!

• Advertisement

its allot, look around!

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=119&idproduct=9170

not bad value! decent wheel set

What bike do you have? I mean, does it have V-brakes or disc brakes? Depending on exactly what you need, I might have a spare front wheel to suit for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone used Panaracer Trailblaster, what are they like?

I've got a Claude Butler Olympus XT with disc brakes. They're black wheels; here's a link......

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/olympusXT.html

I got it in Hollingsworths in Goatstown. I spoke to them yesterday and they said that they may be able to order an identical wheel directly from Falcon Cycles but because it's a good wheel they may need to make one? I didn't really get that part! He said that the whole lot, wheel, tyre, hub, etc would come to around €200.

This is the first time this has happened to me, and the first time I've had a really decent bike so I'm not sure what I should be expecting in terms of expenditure.

Bluefoam wrote:
    Has anyone used Panaracer Trailblaster, what are they like?

great tire, dont roll well and shedding is not great in rish conditions, but have been quoted as the "best" winter tire in the UK and Ireland.......... I switched to xc pros after a months use! very slow

• Advertisement

Hey there,

Well, you could order this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15706

It's €86.23 including delivery. Get the 6 bolt one. Nice wheel indeed for the money.

Then, drop over to my place some evening or weekend in Dundrum. I have a couple of brand new 6" Shimano brake rotors, after upgrading straight away to 8" ones on my FR bike. You can have one for free (I don't need more than 1 spare anyway for my XC bike) and I'll fit it to that Mavic rim.

Throw in €60 for the pair of Fire XC's I have, €5 for one of my spare tubes for your new front wheel and you're sorted, for €151.23, fitted etc.

That's a cracking deal, instead of forking out 200 notes to Hollingsworth for a single wheel and tyre. I wouldn't be making anything off you - But I've had bike stuff stolen in the past and know it's a kick in the nuts....

Excellent, sounds great Gil, I think I'll take you up on that offer! I'll PM you shortly to get some more details.

Advertisement